Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
"For the first time in my life I am really proud of my country because--" is not the same as "I am not [or "have never been"] proud of my country".
Not that it really matters at this point, other than for accuracy's sake.

Exactly. I'm rarely proud of my country. People tell me to simply 'move', but I'd rather stay here and try to make it a better place. Right now, I'm proud that my country has taken a step forward, it's kind of like when you hear a motivational speech and you leave the room with a head full of ideas, confident to fulfill your working/family/friend role in life. That's how I feel right now, it may should cheesy but I'm finally happy to be an American.

And I think Michelle Obama will be an excellent First Lady. I can't wait to hear her ideas for reform and change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
"For the first time in my life I am really proud of my country because--" is not the same as "I am not [or "have never been"] proud of my country".
Not that it really matters at this point, other than for accuracy's sake.
Explain.

For the first time means that at that moment is your first time to be something. She wasn't proud of the US before this? I mean, she didn't say "The USA sucks, I hate it, and I wish it would drop dead". However, saying what she said leads most people to believe she wasn't proud of the US before.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
No thanks, I won't be wearing Anne Klein anything for another 30 years and besides I'm 24, I could wear whatever the hell I want .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
Anne Klein is for old ladies. If you think Anne Klein is something to brag about, maybe you should ask the RNC for a refund on the money you donated for so you can get one Valentino jackets they bought for Sarah Palin.
Thanks for the participation. At your expense, I just wanted some to feel what Palin felt like on the wardrobe issue with guns pointing. Doesn't feel real warm and fuzzy does it?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM

943 posts, read 3,334,071 times
The reason why they feel so threatened by Michelle Obama is because the power in this country is a direct result of theft, slavery, and persecution, and they are afraid that the descendants of the people who endured these hardships will revolt, or at the least attempt to take some of the power they hold for themselves. They emphasize "patriotism so much" because they like to stress what a "true American" is, which is Western European in their definition. They are desperate to maintain their control and power, because it was acquired so immorally, and they know if other races ever become the majority, they won't sympathize with them.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The reason why they feel so threatened by Michelle Obama is because the power in this country is a direct result of theft, slavery, and persecution, and they are afraid that the descendants of the people who endured these hardships will revolt, or at the least attempt to take some of the power they hold for themselves. They emphasize "patriotism so much" because they like to stress what a "true American" is, which is Western European in their definition. They are desperate to maintain their control and power, because it was acquired so immorally, and they know if other races ever become the majority, they won't sympathize with them.
My first impression is that the words were copied from somewhere else. My second impression is that you seem bitter. My third impression is that you are issuing a veiled thread.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM

I actually posted this thread on another forum that I frequent and the reaction was well.. not so good. Glad you know that a comment from me would be filled with satire in an ignorant thread like this.

But anywho, this was one post that stuck out to me the most and it summed up what EVERYONE was thinking..now how about you admit that there is truth to the statement.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I actually posted this thread on another forum that I frequent and the reaction was well.. not so good. Glad you know that a comment from me would be filled with satire in an ignorant thread like this.

But anywho, this was one post that stuck out to me the most and it summed up what EVERYONE was thinking..now how about you admit that there is truth to the statement.
Yes, I see that:

Black Hair Media Hair Forum: Let the BS begin: Michelle Obama haters (http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=161587&PID=2999545 - broken link)

I see it as an underlying threat that you and your posters will surely try to perpetuate and never let it die because Oprah won't let it die. I see Condi Rice as the intelligent one of the two.

I happen to have ancestors, in San Antonio, that we discussed on this very forum having a history of hiding fugitive slaves. As a white woman, I am very happy to have ancestors with gumption, guts and fortitude for human kind, as all men are created equal.

I am proud of Harriet Beecher Stowe and her family who bought property in the south, after the Civil War, to educate the slaves in order to allow them to assimilate into society. I am happy and proud of the Quakers who were a large part and jeopardized their lives participating in the Underground Railroad!

So, for me and my family to be tied in and broadbrushed as a group of white people bent on the destruction and oppression of the black community - I take issue with it! If I could have run next to Harriet Tubman, I would have counted it an honor.

I hope in your hate speeches and dialogue that you remember some of us love our sisters and brothers of every race and we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:56 PM

So, for me and my family to be tied in and broadbrushed as a group of white people bent on the destruction and oppression of the black community - I take issue with it! If I could have run next to Harriet Tubman, I would have counted it an honor.

I hope in your hate speeches and dialogue that you remember some of us love our sisters and brothers of every race and we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I see what you're saying but understand that if that's how you feel, then it doesn't apply to you. I'm referring to the white women that are indeed threatened by a successful woman of color, and as much as you'd like to believe that that arrogant "sense of entitlement" (I call it racism) feeling that alot of white people have is long gone, it isn't. It's pretty evident in this thread.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I see what you're saying but understand that if that's how you feel, then it doesn't apply to you. I'm referring to the white women that are indeed threatened by a successful woman of color, and as much as you'd like to believe that that arrogant "sense of entitlement" (I call it racism) feeling that alot of white people have is long gone, it isn't. It's pretty evident in this thread.
Well, KMG1, I have tears in my eyes because here we are - Americans together.

All I can do is start with myself to make this a better country. I have been very outspoken about Obama's policies and associations, which I don't agree with. His color was never an issue for me.

I am not happy that he won on issues alone, but if somehow it turns the tide for our country on the issue of racism and I have to think, to some degree, it has to!, then I can live with it.

I apologize to you for any offense coming from me. It has been a hard campaign and I am sure we are both tired.

Let's you and I step up and and take the high road on any forum we post on and try to unify, as much as possible, all people - all Americans.

God bless you, KMG1!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM

I appreciate you kindness and sincerity Pressing-On, I wish everyone else had that same attitude and I try to remain positive, but it's just hard when there's always a belligerent attitude against us. November 4th meant ALOT to me, it meant freedom from the oppression that we've endured for centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections