U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,634,632 times

Advertisements

I apoligize for the sappiness of this thread in advance. But on a night like tonight I believe most of you will forgive me. My "grammy", who was a native of the Kentucky/West Virginia border was as racist as a person could be. With that said, she would tell me as a child that she prayed I would live to see the day an African-American would become president. She knew the errors of her thinking but could not help the way she was raised. I truly hope that regardless of your political affiliation you acknowledge how important this day is to the future of our great country. God Bless America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,312,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I apoligize for the sappiness of this thread in advance. But on a night like tonight I believe most of you will forgive me. My "grammy", who was a native of the Kentucky/West Virginia border was as racist as a person could be. With that said, she would tell me as a child that she prayed I would live to see the day an African-American would become president. She knew the errors of her thinking but could not help the way she was raised. I truly hope that regardless of your political affiliation you acknowledge how important this day is to the future of our great country. God Bless America!
Obama is not a full African American. Sorry Granny.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,777,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'll join you in your sappiness. What an amazing night. What an amazing speech. I have never felt happier or prouder to be an American.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM

240 posts, read 433,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Half is good enough to make this a historic moment in time. The election of a half black president makes it now plausible that a "full" black (though becoming a rarity for blacks in America) or any other race can one day be elected president. Even though racism is still alive and will be here for a long time, Obama becoming president is just the beginning of the racial lines being blurred.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,138,400 times
I couldn't care if the guy was purple and green, i don't believe in his beliefs and scared what might happen in the future.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 3,729,243 times
When I was a child, I lived in a town where African Americans were forced to live in only one neighborhood which had a green fence around it. They had to be inside the fence at night. Hispanics were forced to live outside of town in hovels for migrant workers. Even though we had other races, only white people went to school with me. Only white people had decent jobs. African Americans and Hispanics could not eat in restaurants, go to churches that white people attended, etc. It was a horrible system. Slowly, in my 64 years, I have seen it change, and our country has become more and more inclusive. Tonight makes me so proud to be an American. Than is why I have been teary eyed. These are changes I have prayed for ever since I was old enough to understand.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
When I was a child, I lived in a town where African Americans were forced to live in only one neighborhood which had a green fence around it. They had to be inside the fence at night. Hispanics were forced to live outside of town in hovels for migrant workers. Even though we had other races, only white people went to school with me. Only white people had decent jobs. African Americans and Hispanics could not eat in restaurants, go to churches that white people attended, etc. It was a horrible system. Slowly, in my 64 years, I have seen it change, and our country has become more and more inclusive. Tonight makes me so proud to be an American. Than is why I have been teary eyed. These are changes I have prayed for ever since I was old enough to understand.
Wow that's amazing. And people really overlook how hard it was for many races/creeds/ethnicities in this country. I am half Irish and my grandfather was beaten up in Chicago almost every day. It is great to see that perhaps we can finally all get along and respect each other.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
As it has been pointed out before....if he was pumping gas or working at Walmart or homeless on the streets, he'd jsut be another black man or another n****r. Not half Black.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
As it has been pointed out before....if he was pumping gas or working at Walmart or homeless on the streets, he'd jsut be another black man or another n****r. Not half Black.
That's a great point. And so many would see him as exactly what you said. But I truly believe we are getting past that BS. We are starting to see people for what they are. And that is people.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 AM

71 posts, read 192,280 times
I am 20 years old and this is the first Presidential election I've ever voted in. My theory and thoughts throughout the voting process shifted many times over, but in the end I voted Obama/Biden 08. For the first time in my life, I feel to be a part of something. For the first time in my memory, I was truly proud to be an American. If I have subjected myself to a system, it's a system I'd like to be subjected to for the time being. Moreso, I think I have simply been appealed to by something bigger than myself, and it doesn't end now. My generation will be a great generation, and we're ready to get going, and we're all going to need everybody's help; there's a lot of work to do.

Proudly American today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or