Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have never wanted to move to Texas.. until now!
Is there work in Austin for techies? Or do I have to go to Houston (not my fav city)?
Um...yes! Travis County (Austin) was 64% for Obama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Um...yes! Travis County (Austin) was 64% for Obama!
kewl.. i love Austin... my sister used to live there but she moved to Ft.W.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM

511 posts, read 658,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
LOL that's the understatement of the century. The margin in Oklahoma was 32% for McCain!!! What planet is that on???? Not a SINGLE OK county went dem LOL !!!

But does that really surprise you? TX is lightyears more advanced than OK with world class cities etc. There are many more highly educated upper middle class type liberals there, and a lot more unionized people too. Also the hispanics. It has the demographics to go Blue it's just nobody spends the money there - yet.

It's just still has its share of rednecks in the country. But OK has nothing to counteract the rednecks. TX at least has highly redeeming liberal areas (All the border areas, Dallas, SA, Houston, Austin.
Check my thread on Okla. I think they fixed the machines, the one I used glitched. There is no way Sally Kern won again, and there is no way we had that poor of a number on Obama and Inhofe won again. Oklahoma just went red big time.. polar opposite of everywhere else.

The numbers don't make sense either. Obama had some good numbers in Okla County, in Tulsa and Lawton but then the repub house wiped up it up in same areas .. Doesnt make sense at all. I was at the early polls, we hit records number turn outs with one day a 4 hour wait. Everyone around me was voting Dem...I think they have jacked with our rights here.

But feel free to send some of those Libs our way, we sure need them!!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Quote:
Is there work in Austin for techies? Or do I have to go to Houston (not my fav city)?
There is a ton of work for them in Austin. Or Dallas, or SA, or Houston.

And Houston is badass, no offense. It pwns whatever city you come from originally more than likely. Believe me, the bad rep is because of bad PR, and if you were ever here you probably didn't have anyone to show you the good places to go.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
Check my thread on Okla. I think they fixed the machines, the one I used glitched. There is no way Sally Kern won again, and there is no way we had that poor of a number on Obama and Inhofe won again. Oklahoma just went red big time.. polar opposite of everywhere else.

The numbers don't make sense either. Obama had some good numbers in Okla County, in Tulsa and Lawton but then the repub house wiped up it up in same areas .. Doesnt make sense at all. I was at the early polls, we hit records number turn outs with one day a 4 hour wait. Everyone around me was voting Dem...I think they have jacked with our rights here.

But feel free to send some of those Libs our way, we sure need them!!
Hmm...even Tulsa and OKlahoma counties went like 30% for McCain from what Im' seeing. But maybe your district was one of the tiny democratic ones, and that's why your perception is off.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Yeah we're taking over. Ten more years it will be a swing state. Twenty more years and we'll be running things.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I think someone said that Austin is the new silicon valley so I'm sure there probably are jobs for techies there. How hard are those jobs to get....I'm not sure. University of Texas is located in Austin and it's one of the largest colleges so there are a lot of qualified people there.
Thats what I fear! Too many people already driving salaries and opps. down..
I do like Texas, always have... but keep it quiet from my NY friends.. LOL..

Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yeah we're taking over. Ten more years it will be a swing state. Twenty more years and we'll be running things.
WOOHOO

One thing I'm worried about is scaring businesses away.

The reason TX leads in fortune 500 companies even over New York or California and in job growth etc. is because it's insanely business friendly. There are many positives we need to keep in texas.

We just need to work on education reform, pubic transportation, and other basic services/infrastructure.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Come work for Texas Instruments, or Dell out in Round Rock!

Austin is quickly becoming a tech job mecca. Houston has been for a while.

And back to the OP, El Paso was a landslide for Obama! Texas could very well be a swing state within four or eight years.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM

511 posts, read 658,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Hmm...even Tulsa and OKlahoma counties went like 30% for McCain from what Im' seeing. But maybe your district was one of the tiny democratic ones, and that's why your perception is off.
Do you have a link to where you are getting numbers for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections