U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,119,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, he did not say that. That was a lie spread by Moveon-ers and Kos Kids, which makes me suspect you didn't ever actually like Bush because the only people that swallowed stupid made-up crap like this about him without bothering to question their veracity were those predisposed to believe those things in the first place.
Well, I dont know about them. And he never said it in public, but there are numerous accounts from delegates & other world leaders who went on record to say that he absolutely did behind closed doors in meetings.

Quotes like '"I am driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

We'll never know 100% whether he did or didnt, but enough leaders with no reasons to lie have brought it up enough for me to think he probably did. Well, that & his current track record. Not exactly a straight shooter by any means with the American folk.

Anyways, there was a whole BBC series about it you could probably find. This is all beside the point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,081,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Exactly. Odd that people from other, ahem, blue states barrel-butt here because of our good economy and then whine about the conservatism that allows us to have a good economy!
I used to be in Houston and Dallas quite often for business, and it's amazing how Texas is exploding with growth and jobs. Jersey? Oppressive costs of doing business, companies fleeing for more friendly pastures, and property taxes that boggle the mind (20K/year is not uncommon here).

You have a very nice state, and are extremely gracious hosts...even to this Jersey boy. Perfect example of how a less intrusive government makes a place boom and prosper.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM

615 posts, read 945,037 times
Who wow!!!
I wow to why majority vote for a radical DEM?
John McCain would of been a great president
and all veterans know that.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM

14,405 posts, read 26,186,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Hm, maybe not all.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,738,755 times
If you lok at the growth states on a economic map that have been printed ;the red states match with the growth states.We will keep our igorant ways and you can keep your intelligent foreclosure ways and budget shortfalls.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,119,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Who wow!!!
I wow to why majority vote for a radical DEM?
No offense & I respect everything he's done for the country, but why does being a war vet & POW automatically make him great presidential material??

Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,042,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Well, I dont know about them. And he never said it in public, but there are numerous accounts from delegates & other world leaders who went on record to say that he absolutely did behind closed doors in meetings.

Quotes like '"I am driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

We'll never know 100% whether he did or didnt, but enough leaders with no reasons to lie have brought it up enough for me to think he probably did. Well, that & his current track record. Not exactly a straight shooter by any means with the American folk.

Anyways, there was a whole BBC series about it you could probably find. This is all beside the point though.
Really? Who are these "enough leaders" you're talking about? All you have is a quote from the Palestinian information minister claiming Bush said it. Meanwhile, Palestinean President Mahmoud Abbas has denied any such thing was said during the discussions in question. And "that whole BBC series about it" where that quote comes from was not about Bush claiming to talk to God. It was the Arab/Israeli conflict. Do you even have the slightest idea what you're talking about? Did you even bother to check, or is it just easier to believe everything you read on the internets?

If Bush actually believed he was talking to God, you'd think that in 8 years of having thousands cameras and microphones and tape recorders stuck in his face, someone would have actually recorded him saying it. But since a foreign information agent claims he said it -- and mind you, it may well have been translated from English to Arabic back to English -- you believe it despite the claim being discredited by the president he was working on behalf of. But the claim of a discredited information minster, whom you evidently believe is a "leader," is good enough for you because it conforms to your stereotypes. Don't give me "I liked him" bullcrap. I doubt you would have fallen for such flimsy nonsense if you did. Or maybe you're just that gullible -- I don't know. In either case, it saddens me to know that I share a democracy with people who take patently ridiculous claims at face value without bothering to investigate their veracity.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 PM

14,405 posts, read 26,186,586 times
It's basically he-said-she-said between the Palestinian information minister and the Bush White House. I'm not sure if I trust the former, but I definitely don't trust the latter.

If a Bush White House flack tells me December 25 is Christmas, I'm getting a calendar to check it out.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,166,294 times

Here's a nice evening wear T-shirt that says it all.Cheap too.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,790,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Exactly. Odd that people from other, ahem, blue states barrel-butt here because of our good economy and then whine about the conservatism that allows us to have a good economy!
Texas Economy Slips in September

Report: Texas economy slips in September - Austin Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or