Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,254,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, it's what happens when the Dems are allowed to run amok in an area with very little competition and checks/balances.
Kind of like Tom De Lay, poster child for corrupt Texan politicians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Kind of like Tom De Lay, poster child for corrupt Texan politicians?
Republicans? Corrupt? You don't say.

Oh, uh....so I, like, voted for Cornyn and helped keep Ed Emmett in office here in Harris County.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM

288 posts, read 807,790 times
You know, I'm really tired of these "God is a Republican" types on here with the holier than though morals...

I'm an independent moderate, but I voted for Obama. I'm a church going guy who has pretty solid morals I'd say. I highly doubt the rest of those putting Obama in office are a bunch of Godless, morally bankrupt heathens either.

I'm just really tired of the drama queens on here "crying their eyes out" etc. I think it's safe to say there were a lot more tears of joy last night. Did we elect a perfect candidate, no. Did the best candidate win, according to the majority, yes. It's time to stop gloating or grousing (depending on your side) and get on with life.

Isn't there some "united we stand" saying after all?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,302,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I came very close to voting for him. However, I didn't trust him on the immigration/border fence issue and that's a problem we REALLY have to get under control. The illegals are overburdening our schools, health care, prisons, and driving up the cost of insurances for all of us.
Oh, by illegals, you mean those guys Ted Turner described as "guys wearing t-shirts and jeans coming to America to find work so they can support their family". The only guys I see doing hard labor (building the highways and new construction) are Mexicans because the white guys don't want to do hard labor. The anglo's living along the border towns voted for Obama because they are hoping he will come up with a practical and logical solution that will benefit everybody. Building a fence is a horrible and ridiculous idea and nobody living along the border in Texas wants that. All this hyped up security has damaged business along the border towns in Texas and that is why they voted so heavily for Obama in those areas. They happen to get along very well with the Mexicans and all this fear mongering is fiction. It is safer down there than it is in any of the big cities. The Texans and Mexicans are friends and we don't want a fence.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
It's not that white guys don't want to do hard labor. It's that they don't want to do it for seven bucks an hour when you can make more than that working at the mall.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Umm, I'm a white guy that does hard labor, sorry to rain on your parade.

I'll admit that's an issue that didn't impress me about either candidate. Both Obama and McCain were advocating essentially the same weak stance on illegal immigration. Unfortunately I just had to push that issue aside and look at other factors...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM

395 posts, read 1,007,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
Umm, I'm a white guy that does hard labor, sorry to rain on your parade.

I'll admit that's an issue that didn't impress me about either candidate. Both Obama and McCain were advocating essentially the same weak stance on illegal immigration. Unfortunately I just had to push that issue aside and look at other factors...
No offense dude, but it's economically inefficient to disallow cheaper labor form mexican immigrants. I know white special interests, especially unions, would like to stop it. But we won't sacrifice the overall social utility for them.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,436 times
Default Mischaraterization of Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
LOL Yeah...that could change though...its annoying how people come here from California or the east coast, set up shop in places like Dallas, Austin or San Antonio and try and change how things are here.
I am not from the East Coast, California or any other liberal bastion outside Texas. I grew up in San Antonio and was raised in a traditional liberal democrat household and proud of it. The fact that there are so many repubs in Texas who both espouse conservative ideas and supported McCain doesn't change or affect that aspect of me. The fact that 44% of Texans voted for President Elect Obama should validate for everyone concerned that Texas is simply not a completely conservative state.

Oh and this present composition of many conservatives will in fact be changing to a majority of non-conservative, moderates and liberals in the next 10-15 years or so. And I'll be glad when it happens because that will mean that Texas will no longer be an automatic for Repubs like it is now. That means after the switch is complete Texas will be going Democrat in elections thus guaranteeing that repubs will be out of the White House for a very long time. And that's a good thing.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 AM

No offense dude, but it's economically inefficient to disallow cheaper labor form mexican immigrants. I know white special interests, especially unions, would like to stop it. But we won't sacrifice the overall social utility for them.

Dude, I'm not union either. I'm acting in my own self interest here.

I'm guessing you're either in a business that like to take advantage of the illegals or would like to be.

If you actually had to get out and do real work and compete against these illegals for a buck, I think your attitude would change dramatically.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the baggage illegals bring with them. Tell me how that's cost efficient over using American labor.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,137,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I almost feel ashamed to be associated with this state at all now. Just like the entire midwest states. Anyway thank God OBAMA won!!!!

if you didnt like it, then why not pack your bags up and move, and take the illegals with you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections