Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times

Advertisements

Not even close to a mandate!!!! Do you guys make this stuff up? Obama won by 52% ... not a mandate.

Nor did the Democrats receive a mandate in the House and the Senate. So that's a good thing. Hopefully it will keep Obama towards the center to please the other half of the country.

If he doesn't, he'll say bye-bye in 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
All the people I know who voted for Obama were white. All the people I saw campaigning for Obama were white. And even if it were true that 93% were black, who cares? He was still the better choice. Race does not matter.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
All the people I know who voted for Obama were white. All the people I saw campaigning for Obama were white. And even if it were true that 93% were black, who cares? He was still the better choice. Race does not matter.
If you look at the racial makeup of the people who voted for Obama it is almost identical to Bill Clinton's election.
Both Bill and Barack got 42-44% of the white vote and 84-95% of the black vote.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
I believe Bush claimed a mandate in both 2000 and 2004. If Bush can claim that, I think we can claim one for Obama.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
Oh give me a break. Bush only had 48% of the vote in 2000 and 50.7% of the popular vote against Kerry. And that was the first time a Rep candidate had broken 50 since HW in 1988 who only got 53% of the vote. Reagan himself only got 50.7% in 1980 against Carter.

On the reverse Clinton only got 43.3% in 1992 and 49.24% in 1996. Obama in fact is the first Dem President to break 50 since Carter in 1976 who got 50.1%.

52% - 46% is a mandate by the standard of Presidential history whether you like it or not.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
He barely has a little over 50 percent of the popular vote. Not much of a mandate if you ask me.
Huh..He's at 53%

Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
President Obama has now been given a mandate by the American people to make things change. He has been given a mandate to change Healthcare, Schooling, the Economy and the war in Iraq. America has spoken and change is on the way. He will succeed.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has a portion of the American vote. Not every American agrees that he was the best choice for presidency. I pray God has mercy on our nation. We now have our King Saul that everyone wanted so badly.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Not only is it not a mandate, but an overwhelming percentage (in the 90% range I believe) of blacks voted for Obama. If that was reversed, it would be called racism.
....66% of the American Population is white. Change is coming whether you like it or not. When I tell my children one day that they can be President of the US, I wont be lying. Precedence has been set.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I believe Bush claimed a mandate in both 2000 and 2004. If Bush can claim that, I think we can claim one for Obama.
I don't believe he did. And a mandate is clearly defined at 55% or more. Also the Democrats would have had to gain more seats in the Senate to declare the mandate they hoped for.

So one doesn't "claim" a mandate ... it either is or it isn't. This isn't.

Doesn't matter. He won .... not enough for you?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Huh..He's at 53%
I believe the current percentage is 52%, but not all votes have been counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
....66% of the American Population is white. Change is coming whether you like it or not. When I tell my children one day that they can be President of the US, I wont be lying. Precedence has been set.
This is true and as it should be. But never again can anyone, black or white, say that they don't have the opportunity to get ahead. Never again can they say they are being oppressed and held back.

You can come from anywhere in this country and you can become President. If you can do that, you can do anything. That is the message.

No more excuses. There will be those who are not happy about that.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post

This is true and as it should be. But never again can anyone, black or white, say that they don't have the opportunity to get ahead. Never again can they say they are being oppressed and held back.

You can come from anywhere in this country and you can become President. If you can do that, you can do anything. That is the message.

No more excuses. There will be those who are not happy about that.
Amen to that! If this is the only thing positive that comes from this presidency this will be it IMO. I'm so tired of hearing that phrase. Now there are no excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections