U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 6,499,774 times

Advertisements

I want to take a moment to congratulate Barack Obama on becoming the next President of the United States. And I'd like to congratulate all of his supporters as well, I know you all must be very thrilled and proud at the same time. And I'm happy for all of you.

My opinions on Obama have not changed, and I will never regret supporting John McCain & Sarah Palin in this election. I think it's important to take defeat graciously though, I can go back to the disagreement of this man politically tomorrow, but I feel congratulating the winner whether I support him or not is the right thing to do. And I hope that many of you who supported Obama would have felt the same way had he not won tonight.

Ultimately our lives will go on, the sun will continue to shine, the flowers will continue to bloom, and the birds will continue to sing regardless of who was going to win tonight. And I hope that each and every one of us remembers that no matter who our President is, we each have a responsibility to take care of ourselves and our loved one's, and to better our own lives. No one man is going to do all of that for us, and I'm a true believer that ultimately God is in control.

I don't know where this country will go from here, but I hope that all of the Obama supporters are right that this man is what we needed right now. I love America before I love any political party, it's one reason why I chose to be an Independent voter because I believe in voting for who I feel is best to run the country, and not who simply happens to represent a party. One thing I know though is this, America is strong and we are are proud, we've had good President's and not so good President's over the years, but we have always survived, and we have always come out stronger. And I believe the same to be true for America now no matter where we are at 4-8 years from now.

To all my Independent & Conservative friends, at least we'll have another shot at the White House in 2012.

And to all of the Democrats & Obama supporters, God Bless all of you. You have stood strong by your candidate and never gave in, and I applaud you for that.

Well everyone, it's truly been fun. Many of us have spent the majority of our time at City-Data right here in the Presidential Election section the last couple of months. We have agreed, disagreed, shared laughs, shared angry exchanges, but all in all I hope that the majority of us never took anything personally. Politics is an issue that gets very heated, and we all felt strongly about our chosen candidate. We are all Americans though, and just want what's best for the country, and we all have many different opinions on how to achieve that.

We will remember a lot of the members who we disagreed with and we will see them on other sections of this forum from here on out, but I hope most of us will choose to take the high road. And that means being able to put our political differences aside in other sections and act as civilized adults, after all most of us did not join the City-Data forum to discuss politics, we originally came here for other reasons.

So in closing, once again I congratulate Barack Obama in winning this election. I will never agree with the decision, but I'm so proud that we live in a country that allows the people to decide who their leader should be. And I respect each and every one of you even if we don't agree politically.

How about we all meet here again 4 years from now and do this again?

God Bless everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:15 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,179,034 times
What a nice post. I agree with it all, except for coming here in 4 years to debate again. I don't know that I have it in me.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,744,964 times
Great post. I hope you have better luck with it than some of us did. Seems winning graciously isn't a virtue for everyone.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,186,770 times
Ditto. Don't get your feelings hurt if they spew crap at you anyway, though. They're not winning well, it seems. You wrote what I wanted to write (well, you wrote more, actually, LOL) but I was disgusted by what I saw here so I didn't exert the effort. Glad you did and I hope it's graciously received.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,513,366 times
j760,

You good sir are a class act.

Cheers,
Joe

Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,713,450 times
Truly appealing to the better angels of our nature.....

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 AM

23,570 posts, read 33,297,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I want to take a moment to congratulate Barack Obama on becoming the next President of the United States. And I'd like to congratulate all of his supporters as well, I know you all must be very thrilled and proud at the same time. And I'm happy for all of you.

My opinions on Obama have not changed, and I will never regret supporting John McCain & Sarah Palin in this election. I think it's important to take defeat graciously though, I can go back to the disagreement of this man politically tomorrow, but I feel congratulating the winner whether I support him or not is the right thing to do. And I hope that many of you who supported Obama would have felt the same way had he not won tonight.

Ultimately our lives will go on, the sun will continue to shine, the flowers will continue to bloom, and the birds will continue to sing regardless of who was going to win tonight. And I hope that each and every one of us remembers that no matter who our President is, we each have a responsibility to take care of ourselves and our loved one's, and to better our own lives. No one man is going to do all of that for us, and I'm a true believer that ultimately God is in control.

I don't know where this country will go from here, but I hope that all of the Obama supporters are right that this man is what we needed right now. I love America before I love any political party, it's one reason why I chose to be an Independent voter because I believe in voting for who I feel is best to run the country, and not who simply happens to represent a party. One thing I know though is this, America is strong and we are are proud, we've had good President's and not so good President's over the years, but we have always survived, and we have always come out stronger. And I believe the same to be true for America now no matter where we are at 4-8 years from now.

To all my Independent & Conservative friends, at least we'll have another shot at the White House in 2012.

And to all of the Democrats & Obama supporters, God Bless all of you. You have stood strong by your candidate and never gave in, and I applaud you for that.

Well everyone, it's truly been fun. Many of us have spent the majority of our time at City-Data right here in the Presidential Election section the last couple of months. We have agreed, disagreed, shared laughs, shared angry exchanges, but all in all I hope that the majority of us never took anything personally. Politics is an issue that gets very heated, and we all felt strongly about our chosen candidate. We are all Americans though, and just want what's best for the country, and we all have many different opinions on how to achieve that.

We will remember a lot of the members who we disagreed with and we will see them on other sections of this forum from here on out, but I hope most of us will choose to take the high road. And that means being able to put our political differences aside in other sections and act as civilized adults, after all most of us did not join the City-Data forum to discuss politics, we originally came here for other reasons.

So in closing, once again I congratulate Barack Obama in winning this election. I will never agree with the decision, but I'm so proud that we live in a country that allows the people to decide who their leader should be. And I respect each and every one of you even if we don't agree politically.

God Bless everyone!
To be honest, i gotta give props to Obama too. Not only did he win but he won big. As much as i disagree with him polictically and believe in my vote for Bob Barr, i hope he does something positive in his term as president b/c our country really needs something positive to happen.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 AM

25,803 posts, read 39,015,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post

God Bless everyone!
Congrats from me too!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,161,530 times
GREAT THREAD!!May GOD bless each and every McCain supporter on here.We have all argued our sides back and forth for quite awhile now and the last week or two has been very tense and heated on here due to all of the mudslinging,but I do sincerely apologize to any of you I have offended.I can only blame it on my DEEP frustration and hatred of the current administration and I allowed it to spill over to all republicans which was not totally fair.That's no excuse,but it's all I and many like me have.I hope in 2012 we are all in better shape,that our country is stronger and that I too don't regret my vote for Obama like so many of Bush's supporters now regret their vote 8 yrs later.I also hope you good republicans will purge your party of the people who've hurt you and I hope that even if Obama does a great job that your party will run a honorable candidate next election with no baggage and a clean campaign that will keep us all on our toes.Either way it goes I think we have all witnessed the dawning of a new age for both parties and I hope it's a better one than it has been.Now maybe we can go back to having fun with each other on here and drop the hatefullness that has overtaken ALL of us at times in our posts.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:43 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,003,889 times
Thank you for your post, j760. You are as gracious as McCain was in his acceptance speech last night, and if more of McCain's supporters were such as you, then we can do what Obama would like us to do: Work together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or