U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 AM
 
Location: South Florida
956 posts, read 1,108,881 times
Reputation: 321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Which apparently most people thought was far more than enough to qualify him to be the Prez...
Or more likely most people were so hooked on the idea of change that they voted for a man with no experience whatsoever.

I refuse to criticize Obama until he's in office. I believe in giving everyone a chance. But once in office, the gloves come off. If the administration and Obama followers continue to blame Bush and the Republicans for the next 4 years, they won't get away with it.

Obama promised change, promised he could improve the economy, promised reform, promised he could bring the country together. Suddenly now he says it's going to get worse before it gets better, suddenly now it will be a slow and grueling process. I didn't hear that from him during the campaign.

As of January 20th, the buck stops with Obama. I hope he's ready for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: The Planet Mars
2,150 posts, read 2,311,346 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Or more likely most people were so hooked on the idea of change that they voted for a man with no experience whatsoever.

I refuse to criticize Obama until he's in office. I believe in giving everyone a chance. But once in office, the gloves come off. If the administration and Obama followers continue to blame Bush and the Republicans for the next 4 years, they won't get away with it.

Obama promised change, promised he could improve the economy, promised reform, promised he could bring the country together. Suddenly now he says it's going to get worse before it gets better, suddenly now it will be a slow and grueling process. I didn't hear that from him during the campaign.

As of January 20th, the buck stops with Obama. I hope he's ready for that.
You're just one of the typical anti-Obama types who 'claim' they are going to be fair and give him a chance, and in the next breath rattle off a list of things that you are just waiting to attack him for...

You're only fooling yourself - your dislike for the guy is apparent to a blind man...

You give him a fair chance??? In a pig's eye...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,844,610 times
Reputation: 18992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
You're just one of the typical anti-Obama types who 'claim' they are going to be fair and give him a chance, and in the next breath rattle off a list of things that you are just waiting to attack him for....
The question is: How do you define "fair" and what constitutes a fair chance?

Some people define "fair" as "all changes must occur no later than January 22nd, 2008. We must be out of Iraq by Jan. 23rd, and all energy, economic and enivronmental problems must be solved by Jan. 24th."

Personally, I would not call that "fair" but, of course, I actually want to see Obama do well. If you're secretly hoping he'll fail, you'll see it differently.

The bottom line is: so what? Seriously, who gives a royal hoot if we "give them a fair chance" or not? It doesn't matter what I think or what McMolly thinks or what any of us think. The same things will happen whether or not some flunkie in an internet chat room approves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,138,026 times
Reputation: 14898
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The question is: How do you define "fair" and what constitutes a fair chance?
I've ignored this tread to date, and now I remember why. First of all, it really doesn't matter whether you "give" Obama a fair chance or not, he doesn't need your approval. I mean it isn't like your thumbs up or thumbs down is going change who occupies the Oval Office for the next 4 years.

Now, I am sure that Obama would like your approval, he's seems to be that kind of guy, but let's be real here. Your sitting on an anonymous discussion group its going to change Obama's policies one bit, nor is your carping going to change the fact that the vast majority of Americans, left and right are mightily impressed with the efficiency and efficacy of his transition to power.

When his policy proposal reach Congress, your personal likes or dislikes aren't going to amount to a hill of beans. They will be decided on the merits by a predominately Democratic Congress.

In hindsight (and at the time in fact) the criticism leveled against Obama didn't matter to enough Americans to change the outcome, and that the latest batch of criticisms and sniping mean even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,844,610 times
Reputation: 18992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've ignored this tread to date, and now I remember why. First of all, it really doesn't matter whether you "give" Obama a fair chance or not, he doesn't need your approval. I mean it isn't like your thumbs up or thumbs down is going change who occupies the Oval Office for the next 4 years.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
Reputation: 18051
His VP and his Secretary of State said it over and over in the primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top