U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM

956 posts, read 1,108,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Okaaaaaaaay mom I'll try. LOL

No really you are right because I really do believe that his butt will be gone in 4.
I know ... sorry, I did sound like a mom. But it's just how I feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the stars View Post
While I will stand by Obama because he will be pres in Jan, I still think the American people might have made a big mistake.
They may have. And now we'll find out. Now the promises stop and the action starts. Now all the rhetoric must become a reality and that's going to be a pretty tough act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Actually, they contribute quite a lot. They ridicule the RIDICULOUS fear-mongering of the Republicans on this forum.
It's not fear-mongering when we're really afraid. There is nothing ridiculous about that. You don't have to agree, but some of us are a bit fearful of someone we just don't feel we know well enough. Time will tell.

I was/am really afriad. I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it now because it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
1507 days of trying to back down from what he had promissed and more blaming Bush for all the mistakes he will do....
This is one of the things I am most concerned about. If we have to hear at least 4 years of the Democrats blaming Bush for all they cannot do, I will puke (and I don't used words like that very often)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Ayers, at least, is no longer a criminal. He contributes well to his community and is a great professor. However, like I said numerous times, I don't really care who Obama associated with, just his positions on the issues. That's why I voted for him. And I held no illusions about his experience. I know he doesn't have that much, but neither did Lincoln.
First, you don't get not to be a criminal once you're a criminal. Ayers has done criminal acts for which he has never even been punished. So he is a criminal.

Whether he has "contributed" to his community or is a "great Professor" is very subjective and my guess is many would disagree on that.

I'm stunned you don't worry about the associations one chooses. You should. Obama's stand on the issues alone won't carry him through his presidency. He has to surround himself with "associates" so one would hope he chooses them well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,268,986 times
He did not "admit he has no experience"

And it is true, everytime you start a new job you need to learn "on the job." Duh.

And, unless you assume you are perfect, everyone makes mistakes and no one can make everyone happy all of the time.

(as evidenced on this board)

Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 PM

3,238 posts, read 7,969,344 times
Also, keep in mind President-elect Obama has 3-1/2 months to absorb all that he can, and to confer extensively with the White House and his own advisors. He'll be up and running when the time comes. He needs support right now, not a constituency that's looking for his first stumble, so they can cheer.

Last edited by colleeng47; 11-05-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: correcting grammar

Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM

26,724 posts, read 17,341,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Isn't that what anybody who was honest that had never been President would say? Would it be better if he lied and said that he knows exactly what it takes to be President and his Presidency would be one success after the other. I mean, he only stated what everybody else knows so at least, at this point in time, we know he is being honest with us and that is what he has promised to do. Whether he's right or wrong, he will be honest with the American people about his Presidency. He recognized in his speech that he is a servent of the people and it is the people that he is accountable to.
These people preferred Bush strutting around like a rooster without an intelligent thought or idea in his head. They preferred the "Decider Guy" who made all the wrong anti-American decisions as his strings were being pulled by evil Cheney. Go figure.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,777,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I held no illusions about his experience. I know he doesn't have that much, but neither did Lincoln.

Then why didn't Obama admit he had no experience BEFORE he was elected. Why did he and all his supports say he did and why did they get on the VP choice on the other side about not having enough experience. How come you guys are playing it both ways?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,645,040 times
pssssttttt

No one has experience as President unless they've already been President.

McCain would have no experience being President and would have to learn on the job too.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM

26,724 posts, read 17,341,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Also, keep in mind President-elect Obama has 3-1/2 months to absorb all that he can, and to confer extensively with the White House and his own advisors. He'll be up and running when the time comes. He needs support right now, not a constituency that's looking for his first stumble, so they can cheer.
I was listneing to one of his Harvard Professors speak about him last night. He said that knowing Obama, he will have his sleeves rolled up today to start working. Can't those in denial see how exquisitely he ran his campaign? That should tell them what Obama can get accomplished when he sets his mind to it. Any hole that he has to dig out of will be as deep as it is because of the aftermath of the Bush Crime Familiy's war on America and the middle class.

BTW...I listened to his speech very intently and I never heard him say anything about not having enough experience. He did say that there was a difficult road ahead and that he is reaching across the aisle for help from all Americans. Stop putting words in the guy's mouth, he seems pretty good at articulating his own!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,833,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I could not believe in his acceptance speech that Obama says he will be making lots of mistakes and take many missteps and will have to learn as he goes. Isn't that what all the Republicans were trying to tell the Democrats. Now Obama picks this time to admit it.

I thought we wanted change. If Obama is going to make one mistake after another, that seems like 4 more years of the same thing.
Yeah, I wish Bush had said that.
He was the MBA (p)resident who screwed up the country.
Nice try, but your deflection from the past failure won't affect Obama.

He's smart enough to get good advisers, not neocons who destroyed our country and the respect it once held around the world.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM

945 posts, read 1,777,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
pssssttttt

No one has experience as President unless they've already been President.

AGAIN, as no one will answer, then why were you people all over Palin for no experience? Why didn't Obama and you admit he had no experience PRIOR to the election? Simple questions. Why can't you answer them?

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,717,700 times
Palin's "executive experience" was as major of a town of 20,000 people. You didn't catch that item on her resume? You're happy to let her go from that to one heartbeat from the Presidency? That's nuts.

Obama: US Senate, Illinois State Senate, Harvard Law, Columbia Univ. He actually lives in a city. He's actually been in Washington, D.C. He's actually been out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or