Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
To start out with, I like both candidates personally. I disagree with both of their platforms, so I had no dog in this race. However, I have to ask this question:

Given an extremely unpopular war, the most unpopular President of all time, the worst financial crisis since the great depression, a housing meltdown, corporate and political greed everywhere and a huge "good feeling" toward electing the first black President, why on Earth was the popular vote so close? It seems that everything would have aligned toward a landslide popular vote, yet almost half the country voted against Obama.

Does this seem odd to anyone else?
The GOP, the McCain campaign and the right wing media all worked hard to reinforce the base's fear and doubt about Obama's Otherness, even when they had to lie and twist to do so, and pushed McCain and Palin as the representatives of traditional home values - Jesus, Mom, Freedom, Country Music, Plumbing. They encouraged prejudice and resentment and discouraged curiosity and challenge. I'm not at all surprised they did well, even with such an uninspired campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Thumbs down WOW....it's amazing how much racism there is on the Democrat side.

While of course there will always be racism in our country to a small degree, I am shocked at how quickly and how often the Democrats like to use it. Their only explanation for a lack of a mandate in the popular vote has to be because of racist white people. With thought patterns like that, this country will always be divided. Of course we can't talk about the drooling, hyperventilating 97% of black people that voted for Obama, because they voted 100% based on the platform and not at all based on voting for someone with the same skin color as them.

I think the real racism is clear now.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
It's odd that you would ask this question. You still have people living in the "past". They don't want to see change. There are people in this country who would rather lose their job, lose their 401K, stay in wars we can't afford, than vote for a black Democrat. Look at GA, TX, MS, AL and all the other RED states. I pity these people. It is unfortunate that they don't even realize their philosophy is now seriously outdated. The Republicans need to go back and re-group. I'm not sure exactly what needs to change with their party, but they are in shambles right now.
That is untrue. I am in a red state, and I voted for McCain. Since I have mixed race people in my family (including a beloved daughter), I hardly think race was an issue for me. However, I was a little concerned about Obama's "quick" rise to the top, and his lack of experience. I used my right to chose the candidate I thought would be best.

Not all red state residents are racists, and I resent the implication that we are.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The GOP, the McCain campaign and the right wing media all worked hard to reinforce the base's fear and doubt about Obama's Otherness, even when they had to lie and twist to do so, and pushed McCain and Palin as the representatives of traditional home values - Jesus, Mom, Freedom, Country Music, Plumbing. They encouraged prejudice and resentment and discouraged curiosity and challenge. I'm not at all surprised they did well, even with such an uninspired campaign.
Yup. Typical GOP tactics for the last decade or so.
But this time it just didn't work.

Ken

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not odd at all. Many understand that the economy crashed the minute Democrats took over Congress. We also understand the Democratic involvement with the housing meltdown. The countries problems are not all Bush's fault..
You call a 1 vote majority "took over"? It was an impotent Congress. Bush thwarted virtually everything they proposed.

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
the right wing media
Ah yeah, that blasted right-wing media.

Wasn't there some news anchor that got a "tingly feeling" in his leg when McCain spoke? Talk about biased coverage!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That is untrue. I am in a red state, and I voted for McCain. Since I have mixed race people in my family (including a beloved daughter), I hardly think race was an issue for me. However, I was a little concerned about Obama's "quick" rise to the top, and his lack of experience. I used my right to chose the candidate I thought would be best.

Not all red state residents are racists, and I resent the implication that we are.
I never said EVERYONE living in a RED state was racist, but unfortunately for you guys, there are many racists who identify with the Republican party.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:57 AM

43 posts, read 97,762 times
Why is it that just because I am white and did not vote for Obama, people think I did it out of racist views? I am NOT a racist at all. My doctor is black for Gosh sakes! I have black friends, I married a Japanese man and I work in a predominately Arabic community and I enjoy the diversity! So don't assume just because people voted for McCain, that they are racist as well!

I didn't vote for Obama BECAUSE I DIDN"T LIKE HIS POLICIES! Not because he was black!

It's not personal at all.

And BTW I've heard many people say that they didn't vote for Palin because she was a woman and for McCain because he was old. That is sexism and ageism!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
To start out with, I like both candidates personally. I disagree with both of their platforms, so I had no dog in this race. However, I have to ask this question:

Given an extremely unpopular war, the most unpopular President of all time, the worst financial crisis since the great depression, a housing meltdown, corporate and political greed everywhere and a huge "good feeling" toward electing the first black President, why on Earth was the popular vote so close? It seems that everything would have aligned toward a landslide popular vote, yet almost half the country voted against Obama.

He won by 6% with probably 360 electoral votes where in history is that not a major win?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,085 times
Quote:

I think it has a lot to do with the electoral college. Since the candidates primarily concentrated on toss-up states, and Obama on a few red ones, most of the solid red and blue states were neglected. Obama probably could have picked up more votes by campaigning in deep red states, but he didn't need them to win, so he ignored them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections