Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times

Advertisements

You beat me to it..I was just about to post this thread..No "Bradley Effect" huh?

I have a new found respect for pollsters. Maybe McCain believed them to which is why he only had what looked like 200 people at his concession speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM

503 posts, read 937,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yeah and BMW didn't just lay off 700 workers.

You know as well as I do, they are seasonal workers and it happens every year, they will be hired back in the spring. You dont need to argue this with me, cause you know I am not wrong. I agree the nation is in a severe slow down, but why cant people ever look at the glass half full, why do we always have to look at and report the bad stuff. Just think if our forefathers acted like the people in the media, they would have never made it across the ocean, beacause the sea was to choppy. Lets stop looking at the 700 person layoff and look at the 1000 jobs we just got from the two plants coming to Laurens County.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
You know as well as I do, they are seasonal workers and it happens every year, they will be hired back in the spring. You dont need to argue this with me, cause you know I am not wrong. I agree the nation is in a severe slow down, but why cant people ever look at the glass half full, why do we always have to look at and report the bad stuff. Just think if our forefathers acted like the people in the media, they would have never made it across the ocean, beacause the sea was to choppy. Lets stop looking at the 700 person layoff and look at the 1000 jobs we just got from the two plants coming to Laurens County.
Proof they will be re-hired? Nope. 1,000 jobs? LOL More like 150. Should I post the link for proof?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
when people cut down on spending ... luxury cars are first to go... those seasonal workers will not be rehired... during the recession of 1991, BMW sales tanked 16% compared to other automakers at 11%...

the US recession will have an impact on Greenville..

Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Lets see if you extend that same charity of thought once Obama is President, shall we?

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Proof they will be re-hired? Nope. 1,000 jobs? LOL More like 150. Should I post the link for proof?
Go ahead post it if you want, I know what news 4 reported just citing them. I give up, Ill just have to remind newcomers on the forum, about how bad you think Greenville is doing financially, that will be sure to keep them coming.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Strange, I never saw this sentiment expressed when Obama was ahead by 4-5 points, which would have indicated a dead heat.

Instead, the idea was pushed that Obama's 4-point lead was leaving McCain in the dust.
If you are as brilliant as you insinuate from all your posts, you should know how to read polls, basic statistics 101. Every poll must account for a margin of error. I'm giving you the non-partisan facts based on how any poll results work and your response: the posters here said... I've been pointing out the potential for errors on both sides consistently and so have others like Sanrene (although, we're on opposite sides). Let’s not start dissecting things to death just to make your case. The fact is, the polls were accurate when the MOE is factored in which means the pollsters did a very good job. They probably learned their lesson from the terrible job they did in 2004.

P.S. It also means that all the rhetoric about people fooling the pollsters (saying they would vote Obama when they were McCain supporters) was probably just hogwash.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Lets see if you extend that same charity of thought once Obama is President, shall we?

Ken

Oh I am saying right now. Obama is going to tax the crap out of business, you think layoffs are happening now, you just wait.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Exactly...McCain voters are the dumbest of the dumb. They are reside in the MidWest/ South where there aint much life going on...same for Alaska..Keep tending to your polar bears and sheep. Stay out of real world issues..
Just a heads up... if you want to call people "dumb," be sure to leave the word "ain't" out of your post, write complete sentences, and use proper spacing and punctuation... it will give your post more credibility.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Oh I am saying right now. Obama is going to tax the crap out of business, you think layoffs are happening now, you just wait.
YEAH, that's what I thought.

In other words - when it's bad news under the GOP then you say "lets look at the bright side".

when it's bad news under Obama then you say "look at the bad side".

Do you ever get confused as to which side of your face you are talking out of?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections