Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM

493 posts, read 717,486 times

Advertisements

I am in a state of shock right now! It's like I knew that he would win deep down, but was very afraid to watch the results come in, because of all the Republicans have done to put intense fear into the American people. I mean the last 4 days was almost nonstop Rev. Wright ads flooding the television and I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach.

I am in shock, because not only did Obama win, he won by a LANDSLIDE despite the environment that Republicans made for him. He won the POPULAR VOTE as well. All of this without Obama running a slimy campaign, and being black on top of it, and having a name like Barack Hussein Obama... OMG I get a loss for words when I think of it all!

I can't stop crying. I think of Martin Luther King's Speech, I watch it on youtube and Maya Angelou's "And Still I Rise" poem and the way the host of one of the morning shows just lost it after her reciting it, unbelievable! Unbelievable that we are HERE! WE ARE A PART OF A VERY SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF HISTORY!

There is something very special about this man, the world is even celebrating. Let us all pray, let us all send our positive energy of protection to he and his family. Let us all come together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
I was in a state of shock when I saw how much of the popular vote McCain got! Even after 8 years of Bush...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
I'm not in a state of shock, I expected him to win and the states lined up about as I expected them to.

I'm feeling a little bittersweet today. On the one hand, I was jubilant last night, and still feel some of the warm fuzzies this morning. On the other hand, the campaign's over, and for me that means the party's over and it's time to go home. I really got wrapped up in this campaign, so today I have a sense of "now what'll do?"

So I've got conflicting emotions but most of all I'm tired today. I guess that's what I get for staying up past my bedtime!!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm not in a state of shock, I expected him to win and the states lined up about as I expected them to.

I'm feeling a little bittersweet today. On the one hand, I was jubilant last night, and still feel some of the warm fuzzies this morning. On the other hand, the campaign's over, and for me that means the party's over and it's time to go home. I really got wrapped up in this campaign, so today I have a sense of "now what'll do?"

So I've got conflicting emotions but most of all I'm tired today. I guess that's what I get for staying up past my bedtime!!
I felt a little bit of that, but it will go on, because this is a unique and very different direction that the country is gong in. The media will be scrutinizing every little step he makes. It's going to be a very interesting 4 years... even to see what becomes of the Republican party, who realize that they have to restructure themselves at this point and include diversity into their plans. Tim Pawlenti (sp?) said some really smart things in reference to that on ABC last night .

I'm just really motivated and want to see him and we Americans succeed!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Well Indiana surprised me a little bit, but I was surely jumping for joy to hear that he won all of the battleground states, the places where the Republicans tried to drum up the worse controversy

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I'm a little surprised. I really thought it would be much closer. I wasn't expecting to go to bed knowing who the prez was. But it figures people are really tired of Bush and want something new. They spoke.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 AM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
I'm getting teary every time I think about it. After the last 2 elections, I was very wary of feeling confident that there would be a Democratic win. Even when it was first announced last night, I didn't believe it. When I saw how far ahead Obama was, I finally felt relief- even if one of these states recounted or something we would still win.
Oh thank goodness today isn't what I expected it to be. I really thought we would have another really close election that would drag on for days. To win in a landslide like this... a black man... it is so much more than I imagined to be possible. When I think about the history of our country and what this truly means for all Americans, I am overwhelmed by pride in the US- pride I haven't felt for 8 long and horrible years.
I wish today was January 20th.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I'm getting teary every time I think about it. After the last 2 elections, I was very wary of feeling confident that there would be a Democratic win. Even when it was first announced last night, I didn't believe it. When I saw how far ahead Obama was, I finally felt relief- even if one of these states recounted or something we would still win.
Oh thank goodness today isn't what I expected it to be. I really thought we would have another really close election that would drag on for days. To win in a landslide like this... a black man... it is so much more than I imagined to be possible. When I think about the history of our country and what this truly means for all Americans, I am overwhelmed by pride in the US- pride I haven't felt for 8 long and horrible years.
I wish today was January 20th.
I wish it were Jan. as well. I KNEW Obama would win & he totally kicked McCain's [mod cut]! Way to go!

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: please use different word...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Tim Pawlenti (sp?) said some really smart things in reference to that on ABC last night .
I think Pawlenty is gunning for a position. Kinda amusing, since at first he thought he would be McCain's VP. I always liked him, and was sad when he got passed over in favor of Palin. So I think it'd be great to see him serve under Obama.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:

Well Normie, I expect you will soon get your second wind and look around and see all that needs to be done to help President Obama fulfill our hopes. There is so much to do and it is too much to be on one man's shoulders. We are all going to have to play our part and, having got to know you on this forum, I'll bet you will be right in there doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections