U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,962,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I sort of see what you are saying. Especially when you said, "White people do not have to think about race as a central factor in their development or their advancement, because they are considered the standard variety of human being." I think people do see white people as just that. I also understand that there is a long history that white people can not understand. There's also a long history of MY ancestors (Italians-don't get me started on the stereotypes with us!) coming to the US and being treated as 2nd class citizens that I will never understand because I have not experienced it directly. You said, "Sure, others may not like you or ignore you because you are white, and I agree that is not a good thing." Are you saying that's not racism? What is it called then?
I'm saying that it's bad for anyone to be hurt inside because of who they are. But for whites, a denial of their humanity, whether it's historical or happening in real time, does not accompany this. You are still thought of as an actual person, not an animal or an image. Blacks (or others) might dis you, but your basic human rights are not threatened as a result.

Quote:
Also, this "We are not looked at as individuals (only as a baggage-hindered collective), nor are we seen as equal or "the same" as whites or even other racial or ethnic groups." I feel like is either A)a personal experience that you've had or B) and opinion. It may be like that in SOME parts of the country, but not everywhere. If you can give me an example, that would help me see your case better. It's hard to imagine in this day and age that things would still be like this.
Both A and B. I am not going to belabor the point with my personal experiences but I will briefly refer to the hell I went through in trying to buy a home in 2004. The discrimination was personal and blatant. And this is nothing compared to other things that have happened.

Quote:
Sometimes though, I DO feel judged by people of different races because I am white. Are you telling me that it's not like this? That people who are other races from me don't feel any differently or don't think discriminating thoughts about white people? If you are, then maybe I've been misreading some of the things that I've heard or seen around me that may be construed as racist. Please enlighten me!
Like I said, there are racists in every color (sex, religion, blood type, etc.) But racism against whites, while it hurts just the same as racism against blacks or anyone else, in America does not have the same economic and psychological effects when taken collectively and when history is factored in.

Quote:
I do agree...racism is still very present in our country. Even with everything going on around us. I think that's the point I was trying to make when I first started this post. I feel the segregation still even though many other people said BO getting elected is bringing the country together. I've never felt more segregation than now.
Yeah, I get what you are saying.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,342,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I'm saying that it's bad for anyone to be hurt inside because of who they are. But for whites, a denial of their humanity, whether it's historical or happening in real time, does not accompany this. You are still thought of as an actual person, not an animal or an image. Blacks (or others) might dis you, but your basic human rights are not threatened as a result.

Both A and B. I am not going to belabor the point with my personal experiences but I will briefly refer to the hell I went through in trying to buy a home in 2004. The discrimination was personal and blatant. And this is nothing compared to other things that have happened.

Like I said, there are racists in every color (sex, religion, blood type, etc.) But racism against whites, while it hurts just the same as racism against blacks or anyone else, in America does not have the same economic and psychological effects when taken collectively and when history is factored in.

Yeah, I get what you are saying.....
Sunil, seems like you have thought a lot about this topic and may be more educated or level headed about it. Some people REALLY fly off the handle when you start talking about race issues. That causes problems as well!

Do you, honestly, think that things will change with BO becoming president? Or, do you think this is just the first step? See, because I feel/see the segregation between blacks/whites/ etc. I think this is maybe the first step in people realizing CONCIOUSLY there IS a problem. Just because I'm not racist, doesn't mean it ISN'T going on around me. I think everyone, from EVERY race is always a little bit aware of racism but would NEVER come out and say anything. People are too afraid to bring up racism because, oh my, you might be seen as racist. We'll never get anything accomplished thinking like that.

I think now that this election has ended this way, people are starting to talk about it more openly. I think it's the best thing to do to END racism. Though, I don't think it's ever going to be done with completely. Why? Because it's the first thing you "know" about a person. You don't even have to talk to someone before judging them. It's sad, but I think that's why it's STILL happening in this day and age. Therefore, I think that racism is more prevalent than other prejudices.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Sunil, seems like you have thought a lot about this topic and may be more educated or level headed about it. Some people REALLY fly off the handle when you start talking about race issues. That causes problems as well!
Our people (Americans) are very scared of being frank and, candid but also nuanced and openminded on race.

Quote:
Do you, honestly, think that things will change with BO becoming president?
In political and cultural terms, the election of Obama is refreshing and symbolic. It signifies that most Americans do want to change the fundamental direction of this country. But there are also many who do not want change and who hold on to obsolete, regressive views. Things have changed. Things will change even more. But racism and the corrosive effects it has will remain.

Quote:
Or, do you think this is just the first step? See, because I feel/see the segregation between blacks/whites/ etc. I think this is maybe the first step in people realizing CONCIOUSLY there IS a problem. Just because I'm not racist, doesn't mean it ISN'T going on around me. I think everyone, from EVERY race is always a little bit aware of racism but would NEVER come out and say anything. People are too afraid to bring up racism because, oh my, you might be seen as racist. We'll never get anything accomplished thinking like that.

I think now that this election has ended this way, people are starting to talk about it more openly. I think it's the best thing to do to END racism. Though, I don't think it's ever going to be done with completely. Why? Because it's the first thing you "know" about a person. You don't even have to talk to someone before judging them. It's sad, but I think that's why it's STILL happening in this day and age. Therefore, I think that racism is more prevalent than other prejudices.
Well, I don't know if racism is more prevalent than other prejudices (bias in terms of looks/weight is much more accepted in our society), but it is the most dangerous prejudice we have.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,342,559 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know if racism is more prevalent than other prejudices (bias in terms of looks/weight is much more accepted in our society), but it is the most dangerous prejudice we have.
Interesting point!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,407,981 times
Quote:
but I will briefly refer to the hell I went through in trying to buy a home in 2004. The discrimination was personal and blatant. And this is nothing compared to other things that have happened.
I have not heard of that where I live. But I live in the most progressive part of the country and there isn't any discrimination here from what i can tell. None of my black friends when talking with them have experienced it here. I guess we are just lucky.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I have not heard of that where I live. But I live in the most progressive part of the country and there isn't any discrimination here from what i can tell. None of my black friends when talking with them have experienced it here. I guess we are just lucky.
If it hasn't happened to them or you then yes, you are lucky.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,861,747 times
All I can say is that as a white male, I am not nor even judged a person strictly by their race, colour, sex, etc., but by their history and their actions. To those that have felt prejudiced towards them in their dealings/life with others, I can only offer my apologies/sympathies. I do feel disturbed when "white" people, and especially those of us that are from "the hills and hollers" of say the Ozarks [ie: "hillbillies" - a term that I embrace, btw ], or any other backwoods area, are painted with a broad brush in reverse, denoting us all as racist. No, I did not vote for Obama - not because of his race, but due to his policies, his associations, and his voting & speaking record. Yet, because I am from the hills, and that I am white, there are too many people that then assume that I [and many like myself] did not vote for this man due to skin colour... and they are severely mistakenly wrong.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,026,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
And you are despicable for saying that. Yeah, cuz they're both black they must both sound alike too right? Get over yourself.
It was clear that poster was referring to speaking style and content, not because they are both black.

Take your own advice and get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections