Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,684,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Why on earth would you ask that a woman be qualified for president? It wasn't a requirement for Barack Obama, all people cared about was that he had the judgment to be president.
What? wait, now I feel like you are going against everything everyone is discussing in this thread. You are saying that all people cared about is that he had the judgment to be president? So you don't think race played a part in this at all? And what does that mean anyways? The "judgment" to be president? explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You might have the most ridiculous post of the day. Who is coming out of the woodwork to promote slavery, lynching, Jim Crow laws, bombing of black churches and killing of black children?

Are you even listening to yourself?
Hmmm, just since the win I've heard:

"In my day we would have strung him up when he first opened his mouth and we wouldn't be in this mess"

"Guess this one things he's the house ni**er now"

and multiple offers to take black's right to vote away since they ruined the election.

But really...don't listen to my experience in my hometown, just read this forum and open your eyes. I'm listening, are YOU?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Oh ocme on, the fun is just starting. The liberal liars had their Bush bashing agenda for 8 years and its my turn

cant a guy have a little fun
Yeah, you are right, Bush did a fantastic job and based on the election results, there are at least two or three other people in the country that agree with you.

It is going to be a LONG eight years for you...

Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,381,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Mojokitty, I really think your heart is in the right place and I certainly think you are entitled to your opinions and feelings. But let me see if I can explain to you MY opinion and feelings.

In a country where black people were bought and sold as though they were animals
In a country where "owners" of black people were allowed to sell away their children, beat them, and even kill them
In a country where black people were legally defined as less than human
In a country where even after slavery black people were not allowed to vote, to live in certain areas, to eat in many public places or drink from the same fountain, to go to the same schools as white children, not allowed to work at many, many jobs
In a country where black people were lynched for not crossing the street to get out of the white person's way and when little black boys were tortured and murdered because a woman said they whistled at them
In a country where black churches were bombed and children murdered and nothing was done
In a country where thousands of black people were beatened and killed because they wanted to vote
OK but this is not about Barack Obama; his ancestors did not experience those things. His father is from Kenya and his mother is white.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,109,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Hmmm, just since the win I've heard:

"In my day we would have strung him up when he first opened his mouth and we wouldn't be in this mess"

"Guess this one things he's the house ni**er now"

and multiple offers to take black's right to vote away since they ruined the election.

But really...don't listen to my experience in my hometown, just read this forum and open your eyes. I'm listening, are YOU?
GROSS where the hell do you live? Sounds like a hellacious place to me.

Small minded people making vulgar remarks about the smartest dude who has ever gone into the white house.

I would run, not walk, to another town. STAT!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,077,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
OK but this is not about Barack Obama; his ancestors did not experience those things. His father is from Kenya and his mother is white.

Do you NOT understand that, no matter where his ancestors came from, he is STILL BLACK and so is looked at through the eyes of others as a BLACK AMERICAN. Oh, what is the use. If a person does not WANT to understand, they won't. There are always excuses for why a person behaves exactly as they WISH to behave.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,602,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
But the OP was asking why everyone is talking about race today. And the reason is, this country has been divided by race since its inception. The fact that a mixed race man named Barack Hussein Obama was just elected president is monumental. Black, white, or other, it changes our perception of ourselves and our country. It's worth talking about.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
canada
Canada:
British Isles origin 28%, French origin 23%, other European 15%, Amerindian 2%, other, mostly Asian, African, Arab 6%, mixed background 26%

US:
white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61% (July 2007 estimate)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.); about 15.1% of the total US population is Hispanic

Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Small minded people making vulgar remarks about the smartest dude who has ever gone into the white house.

That's funny Woodrow Wilson made Obama look like he is learning disabled. Check out Mr. Wilson's accomplishments....

Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

That's the thing! A year ago I would have said my town (and to an extent, the nation) was pretty darn progressive. While I've heard a lot of good in the last weeks, I've also heard a lot of bad. I fully expected the good, but not so much the bad. It was just a shock, that's all.

To quote a conversation with a black friend:

"Me: People aren't that racist"

"Her: You're a dipsh*t."

I guess so!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections