Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I am a very open minded person. I feel like I'm also very liberal in thinking. I have never felt such segregation as I have today. I have heard comments left and right talking about the election, race, history, the future and it scares me. I have ALWAYS accepted everyone of every race and have never started any type of controversy. So why are we seeing so many people make racial "observations" or "comments"? To think we have grown SO much (not nearly enough) since the 60's and now I almost feel like we are taking a step back, when this should be a step forward. Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from? As BO stated many times, we are the UNITED states of America, so why am I not feeling it?
I really can't say why you feel that way. It is so much the exact opposite of how I feel. I have never felt more united with my fellow citizens. It seems like a huge cloud was lifted off our nation and the sun is shining and everywhere I went this morning I saw people smiling at one another. So I'm not sure why you aren't feeling it. Hope you do soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from? As BO stated many times, we are the UNITED states of America, so why am I not feeling it?
Because it's the USA, where we are allowed to squabble and disagree without the government making us quietly disappear in the night.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
I'm also finding this a great benefit for our country. Given that no black person has ever been elected to our highest office, although they have been in this country just as long as the white male, this is a momentous occasion. It is about time that there is some diversity at the top. Next stop, a WOMAN! White males have had hundreds of years of chances. Let someone else give it a go for a change.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
Oh ocme on, the fun is just starting. The liberal liars had their Bush bashing agenda for 8 years and its my turn

cant a guy have a little fun

Old 11-05-2008, 11:40 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
People who think Obama will "bring us together" are totally naive. Things are about to get ugly in some parts of this country I'm afraid.
Of course they are. George Bush reached across the aisle to get input and ideas from the other side, and look at how visciously he was savaged by the Left and Right.

Thinking that there will be anything other than politics as usual because the president has a (D) next to his name instead of (R) is naive.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
I am a very open minded person. I feel like I'm also very liberal in thinking. I have never felt such segregation as I have today. I have heard comments left and right talking about the election, race, history, the future and it scares me. I have ALWAYS accepted everyone of every race and have never started any type of controversy. So why are we seeing so many people make racial "observations" or "comments"? To think we have grown SO much (not nearly enough) since the 60's and now I almost feel like we are taking a step back, when this should be a step forward. Does anyone else understand where I'm coming from? As BO stated many times, we are the UNITED states of America, so why am I not feeling it?
I am going to guess that you are white. I am too. I really haven't felt that race was a big deal, but I think that some black people may have a different take on things. I don't think we can ever really understand the subtle prejudices they endure, unless we do one of those "black for a day" experiments.

If race didn't seem to be an issue before it was because people weren't talking about it.

We have taken a step forward, not a step backward by talking about the issue of race we talk about something that has been swept under the carpet and ignored. After some airing out, I think we will really be able to come to terms with race in America, identify the issues, work around them and then move forward. Yes we can!

To try to move forward without recognizing the issues wasn't really moving forward at all.

IMO, Hurricane Katrina showed us that race (and poverty) is still an issue in this country. Until we get beyond that, there is no moving forward.

Race is going to have to come up as he is the first black president and as both candidates said has made history and goes a long way to heal very old wounds.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:44 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Though you may feel "post-racial" many do not. I think it is a good thing that we have these conversations in the open for once.
As far as talking about the election in racial terms, it is a momentous occasion! If Hillary Clinton had won, we would be talking about sex instead of race. Ignoring racial divisions doesn't make them go away. Let's have an open dialogue about this for once.
Who are the many who do not feel "post racial" as you said? I'm not even sure what that term means by the way. I would LOVE to meet them! Yes, I welcome to have conversations in the open! I feel, as a white female, that my opinions would not matter. I believe that there's so much pre-judgement already out there by people who are another race/sex from me, that I would be judged no matter what.

I agree, it IS a momentous occasion. I still feel segregated from what I've been reading and hearing. I am not saying we ignore racial divisions, I'm not sure where you got that from. I am saying that by repeatedly bringing up the race issue in a negative light, it is NOT making our country move on. Don't you think the more we bring up the fact that our next president is black will keep up the racial segregation though? Celebrate that he is a Democrat which we haven't had in office for 8 years. Celebrate the issues that he supports. You can even celebrate the fact that he's from Illinois! I don't care, but can we focus on OTHER things other than race too?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 AM

574 posts, read 1,208,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I really can't say why you feel that way. It is so much the exact opposite of how I feel. I have never felt more united with my fellow citizens. It seems like a huge cloud was lifted off our nation and the sun is shining and everywhere I went this morning I saw people smiling at one another. So I'm not sure why you aren't feeling it. Hope you do soon.
Maybe it depends where you live. You can cut the tension with a knife in this town. There's this seething hatred like something was stolen. Yikes!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:50 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Maybe it depends where you live. You can cut the tension with a knife in this town. There's this seething hatred like something was stolen. Yikes!
I was just thinking this!!! I'm from Texas! Well, no, I live in Texas! I'm from Ohio. I'm thinking maybe Tx feels a little more segregated sometimes? I don't know, I just know I'm feeling it, but maybe if I just give it a little more time, I'll feel the unity. I think it's going to take more than a day. HECK, probably more than 4 years!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Mojokitty, I really think your heart is in the right place and I certainly think you are entitled to your opinions and feelings. But let me see if I can explain to you MY opinion and feelings.

In a country where black people were bought and sold as though they were animals
In a country where "owners" of black people were allowed to sell away their children, beat them, and even kill them
In a country where black people were legally defined as less than human
In a country where even after slavery black people were not allowed to vote, to live in certain areas, to eat in many public places or drink from the same fountain, to go to the same schools as white children, not allowed to work at many, many jobs
In a country where black people were lynched for not crossing the street to get out of the white person's way and when little black boys were tortured and murdered because a woman said they whistled at them
In a country where black churches were bombed and children murdered and nothing was done
In a country where thousands of black people were beatened and killed because they wanted to vote

When a black man is elected President of the United States in a country where all that took place, to NOT acknowledge it not only belittles all the high price that black people have paid through the centuries to make this possible but it also belittles the growth that has taken place in white America.

I am a white woman too but I am an old white woman and am able to well remember much of what has happened. Maybe that is the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections