U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,943,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You're going to put a talk show host and an extremist in that list???? Come on. If you want to do it right stick to people who represent a party in office. Because if you're going to do it that way, I'm sure I could come up with a loooonnnng list of names and reasons to put them up there.

Like Al Franken's use of cocaine and LSD.

Like anti-gun Rosie O'Donnell who found it within herself to ask for permission from her son's school to allow an armed bodyguard on the grounds for him.

Michael Moore, anti-Bush crusader, who was proven to own stock in, of all companies, Haliburton.

Now I can keep going if you'd like. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do.
How about Obamination's admitted COCAINE ABUSE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,943,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think the real reason the conservatives lost young voters is that they did not even try. I have heard lots of things being said about young people that in some cases are true but are often not the case. First off conservatives have metioned that Alcohol, Ignorance, absence of personal wealth, and lack of the challenges of a home and family as the reason why young voters voted they way they did. Where I live, the Guilford College area of North West Greensboro, tends to be both young and reasonably affluent. Like the rest of the country the young people there are overwhelmingly democratic. In many cases they do drink heavily, and are dependant on their parents for money. Suprisingly among the young voters I know that are like that, they tend to be the most conservative of the lot, mainly because they do not really have issues affecting them and just vote as their parents do. Among the more liberal young voters are those that own a home, or maintain an appartment, work, have loans, or have scholarships to get through college, and have children. Rather than blame young voters failings on why they did not vote conservative ask why logically did they not vote conservative. I am 22 voted for Obama for three main reasons this general election, student loan reform, the environment, and I believed he would change Bush's deficit spending policies. Many of my friends voted on the same way on those same issues. Rather than bash young voters, conservatives should take stock of why McCain lost young voters and how they can create new ideas and reforms to get them back.
Apparently you did not listen to his rhetoric.

He advocates Trillions in new spending.

You were the one who took out the loan. It is still possible to work through college.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,306,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Please tell me you aren't really naive enough to attribute the economic conditions of the 1990's to anything Bill Clinton did.

Clinton was very lucky to be president during an economic boom fueled largely by the dot com explosion and an "easy money" monetary policy which led to excessive consumerism financed by credit and massive personal debt.

The Federal Reserve creates boom and bust cycles by controlling the size of the money supply. Clinton had nothing to do with it.

Cute little charts which separate tidbits of information from all related circumstances aren't valuable to those us us who know better.
That's exactly the case. The state of technology brought us the cell phone, computer, internet at affordable levels. That is what drove the economy during those times. Over 2/3 of the economy is driven by consumer spending.

Unfortunately, almost all that I see here and in other threads is negativity. Even among the winners. People generally never seem to want to work on the details of how to improve things (as opposed to talking about "pie in the sky ideals"), but just like to be negative against others.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:07 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,039,193 times
Wink It's all Reagan's fault

Reagan's military budget spending in trying to make the Russian military obsolete is what brought about the dot.com bubble. Military always leads technology that eventually trickles down to the private sector. Of course not all military things but things that can be useful in the private sector like GPS and things of that sort.

http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg1414.cfm

Old 11-09-2008, 12:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 4,994,633 times
My generation is the biggest disappointment in a long time. I have never seen young people so ignorant, choosing a president as if they have to do it with all their friends by their side. They turned this election into an American Idol contest. My generation is pathetic.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 PM

10,009 posts, read 8,604,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Apparently you did not listen to his rhetoric.

He advocates Trillions in new spending.

You were the one who took out the loan. It is still possible to work through college.
He advocates 1.2 trillion less deficit spending than your man McCain (3.3T with Obama vs 4.5T McCain) I can add. Secondly I do work through college silly and who says I have any loans (I don't I have scholarships and work). Though I would just like to be able to borrow for graduate school at a reasonable rate like boomers were able to in the late 60s and early 70s.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:26 PM

399 posts, read 425,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Yet another keyboard commando. Need your diaper changed pally boy? ROFL!

Another old guy out of his prime.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,039,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
He advocates 1.2 trillion less deficit spending than your man McCain (3.3T with Obama vs 4.5T McCain) I can add. Secondly I do work through college silly and who says I have any loans (I don't I have scholarships and work). Though I would just like to be able to borrow for graduate school at a reasonable rate like boomers were able to in the late 60s and early 70s.
Just for the record those numbers did not include healthcare programs which made it quiet difficult to get a true number to compare because of unknown problems that may or could occur with universal health care.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 PM

10,009 posts, read 8,604,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Just for the record those numbers did not include healthcare programs which made it quiet difficult to get a true number to compare because of unknown problems that may or could occur with universal health care.
Obama does not support universal health care, at least not in a Candian or European sense. He wants to offer incentives for the uninsured to get health care including a payroll scheme with companies and potentially opening gov't healthcare to regular citizens if they wish to buy in. This would cost about $60B. He is not talking about creating an American NHS

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: clairification

Old 11-09-2008, 12:53 PM

16,301 posts, read 23,962,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
You really shouldn't disclose who you voted for.
Now let's all guess who your voted for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or