U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,231 posts, read 3,354,595 times
Reputation: 3081

Advertisements

Although I did not vote for Obama, I really liked his speech. After having that idiot George Bush for 8 years, listening to Obama just made me realize how bad Bush really is and how conditioned I have become to having a moron for president. Bush's speeches were always idiotic with nothing intellectual and full of empty rhetoric and BS. It seems to me that we may be moving in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,170 posts, read 14,281,476 times
Reputation: 4958
Yeah, the Obamabashers on this board constantly belittled the importance of Obama's great oratory skills - but the fact is, those types of skills REALLY MATTER in a leader. Think of all the great speeches throughout history and how they have helped provide courage and determination to people in times of crisis. Think of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address - or Churchills' "we shall fight them on the beaches" - or FDR's "Day of Infamy". These were important speeches delivered by world-class orators and they remain famous for very good reasons - among them the fact that they helped provide resolute courage to people facing a fearful future. Great speakers can provide hope, confidence and guidance when times are tough - as they are today.

So, yes, Obama's impressive speaking skills are a great asset indeed - both to him personally, and to the country as whole.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
8,942 posts, read 13,597,216 times
Reputation: 1896
It's also nice to see the rest of the world starting to like us again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,791 posts, read 5,127,616 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's also nice to see the rest of the world starting to like us again.
They already do as of 10 pm CST last night!!! Repubs don't see the importance of this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,170 posts, read 14,281,476 times
Reputation: 4958
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's also nice to see the rest of the world starting to like us again.
Indeed. In fact, it's not just nice, it's HELPFUL in pursuing US interests abroad. It shouldn't take a genius to understand the fact that ANY person who is well-liked will have an easier time getting what he wants (remember the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?). This is true at personal level and at a diplomatic level. Conversely someone who is disliked will have a more difficult time trying to achieve that. Bush has become so disliked overseas that it's made everything more difficult when it comes to foreign negotiations. Obama should be able to reverse some of that - and help us to make progress towards US goals around the world.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,352 posts, read 8,651,658 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Although I did not vote for Obama, I really liked his speech. After having that idiot George Bush for 8 years, listening to Obama just made me realize how bad Bush really is and how conditioned I have become to having a moron for president. Bush's speeches were always idiotic with nothing intellectual and full of empty rhetoric and BS. It seems to me that we may be moving in the right direction.
Glad to hear you feel this way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: God's Country, Maine
2,052 posts, read 2,916,016 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's also nice to see the rest of the world starting to like us again.
Yup. the Palestinians lobbed 45 missiles into Israel last night and the Russians today declared missile deployment along the Western front.

The Messiah will meet with all of them without precondition very soon to diffuse the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
8,942 posts, read 13,597,216 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Yup. the Palestinians lobbed 45 missiles into Israel last night and the Russians today declared missile deployment along the Western front.

The Messiah will meet with all of them without precondition very soon to diffuse the situation.
Yeah, that is all Obama's fault. Why must you be racist and call Obama the messiah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: God's Country, Maine
2,052 posts, read 2,916,016 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Indeed. In fact, it's not just nice, it's HELPFUL in pursuing US interests abroad. It shouldn't take a genius to understand the fact that ANY person who is well-liked will have an easier time getting what he wants (remember the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?). This is true at personal level and at a diplomatic level. Conversely someone who is disliked will have a more difficult time trying to achieve that. Bush has become so disliked overseas that it's made everything more difficult when it comes to foreign negotiations. Obama should be able to reverse some of that - and help us to make progress towards US goals around the world.

Ken
Trust, but verify.

Peace through superior firepower.

Have you any research to back up these outrageous claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,091 posts, read 5,456,594 times
Reputation: 5062
It is such a relief that, for the first time in 8 years, we will finally have a president that is smarter than I am. I'm tired of holding my breath everytime the president speaks...wondering how he will embarrass us this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top