Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think you are confusing evangelicals with the Westboro Baptist Church.

Parents have a right to teach their kids creationism. I lean against it being taught in science classes, but support it being taught through another venue such as a civics class or a debate class.
Regarding your question about people disliking evangelicals...the Bush administration placed evangelicals at the forefront of its constituency and proceeded to be an exceptionally divisive regime over the past 8 years. It helped keep him in the White House as a strategy, but the results of deferring to religious cronyism and placing third rate bible law school students on the white house staff and seeming to "divine" some of his motivations for proceeding on world issues has soured the electorate on evangelicals and to be frank, many of us have been scratching our heads as to how religion rose in such prominence on Pennsyvania Avenue in the first place. It goes against what was taught in civics class. Everything about Bush and Republicans felt non-inclusive, unless you thumped a bible. The public perception (and to be honest I am projecting my personal experiences) of evangelicals are those that are judgemental and preachy, and that is a put off. In certain parts of the country that might be the norm, but for the majority of americans guess what, its not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Why is the "decline" of a party discussed just because a candidate who should have NEVER been the nominee loses? Hasn't it been, Rep, Rep, Dem, Rep since Ronald?

I think I remember Carvel talking about what a mess the Dem party was in when Kerry lost.

If the Repubs get a great candidate in 4 years, they will be right back in the office.
If is the biggest word in the English language. The Republican Party was hijacked by Neocons and right wing fanatics. The Republican Party that has been in power is certainly not the party of Lincoln.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Why is the "decline" of a party discussed just because a candidate who should have NEVER been the nominee loses? Hasn't it been, Rep, Rep, Dem, Rep since Ronald?

I think I remember Carvel talking about what a mess the Dem party was in when Kerry lost.

If the Repubs get a great candidate in 4 years, they will be right back in the office.
Disagree with you - I don't think they'll come back easily - I think we are seeing a significant turning point with Obama, similar to the significant turning point when Reagan was elected.

To me, Obama represents the end of the Reagan era - the end of the anti-government,conservative cycle that started with him...

There is an entire generation of young Americans that are solidly Democratic - and they will be more and more politically active as time goes by...

Yesterday was a tremendous victory for Obama, but it was also a strong repudiation of George Bush / Carl Rove and their NeoCon style of leadership (pitting one group against another, motivating thru fear, using wedge issues like "gay marriage" to unite the core and get them to forget about the real issues that affect them, the idea that government and business regulation are universally bad...)

I don't think you'll see a bounce back by Republicans any time soon - maybe not for another generation...

Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I think Republican posters would be better served to listen to their own party advisers like Rollins. The old Reagan Republicans are shocked by what the GOP has became under Bush & want the evangelicals\mormons to shut-up or leave altogether since there is no future otherwise.

Hey, it doesn't matter to me. But it would seem that 'smart' Republicans would be very interested in improving the "brand."

Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Disagree with you - I don't think they'll come back easily - I think we are seeing a significant turning point with Obama, similar to the significant turning point when Reagan was elected.

I don't think you'll see a bounce back by Republicans any time soon - maybe not for another generation...
Agreed. The "culture wars" and all the other "wedge issue" strategies have become a political dead-end, appealing to no one anymore except the "base", that same hardcore 25-26% who will always vote solidly conservative no matter what.

And that's what Palin represents. While she may have great turnouts at her rallies, her appeal is very limited beyond the Conservative "Faithful".

But you're right, it'll take awhile for the GOP to find its way out of the wilderness. For example, today heard Mike Duncan, National Chairman of the RNC admit that some "soul-searching" was needed in the party. But almost in the same breath, he went back to the same old excuses about Obama receiving too much attention, or about "McCain not getting a fair shake in the liberal media", etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Agreed. The "culture wars" and all the other "wedge issue" strategies have become a political dead-end, appealing to no one anymore except the "base", that same hardcore 25-26% who will always vote solidly conservative no matter what.

And that's what Palin represents. While she may have great turnouts at her rallies, her appeal is very limited beyond the Conservative "Faithful".

But you're right, it'll take awhile for the GOP to find its way out of the wilderness. For example, today heard Mike Duncan, National Chairman of the RNC admit that some "soul-searching" was needed in the party. But almost in the same breath, he went back to the same old excuses about Obama receiving too much attention, or about "McCain not getting a fair shake in the liberal media", etc.

Entirely agree. Now, who will emerge to become the unifying leader of the Republicans? Is there anyone who can mend the GOP?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Thank God this forum doesn't represent the thinking of all Americans, even all young people for that matter. Internet forums are a very anti-Christian place. Ironic that you all are supposed to be an "enlightened generation" that is open minded, yet you won't tolerate any views but your own.

I don't want your believe in no God shoved down my throat.
I don't want you to not believe like I do, which is why I keep my religious beliefs out of the public schools....I pay for private, relgious school for my kids. I wonder why religious fundamentalists want public schools to be their very own religious schools? If you want religion in school...pay for it.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 PM

Let the evangelicals\mormon fundies have their own party & watch their influence drop to zero! Yea! the wicked witch is dead. Only the walking dead are left [Bush\ Cheney\ Dobson\ Rove\ Fox News\ Larry Craig\ Ann Coulter - she really does look dead with her honking adam's apple jerking up & down Bye bye now don't come back forever!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,691,981 times
Quote:
Thank God this forum doesn't represent the thinking of all Americans, even all young people for that matter. Internet forums are a very anti-Christian place. Ironic that you all are supposed to be an "enlightened generation" that is open minded, yet you won't tolerate any views but your own.

I don't want your believe in no God shoved down my throat.
Dude, read the Constitution. The Founding Fathers knew that religion shouldn't mix with politics, so they kept it out of Government. It's not spreading atheism, it's about keeping the Government secular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections