Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM

105,693 posts, read 107,682,511 times

Advertisements

considering all our economy has been thru the fact that we just broke only a 6% unemployment rate is amazing. for as bad as things are and the markets are reflecting we should be over 10%. the great depression we stood at over 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,691,429 times
Moved from the Northeastern Pennsylvania forum.
Yac.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,399,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Bill the Union Boss is Angry
And You Can Stop Him

We recently released an ad starring "Bill the Union Boss."

Bill is angry because we want to stop his efforts to take away American workers' voting rights.

This issue shows just what's at stake.

If the liberals gain a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate this year, they have promised to kill the secret ballot in Union elections.

This would take away American workers' right to cast their votes without fear of retaliation or pressure from Big Union bosses.

Is this the type of change you want for America?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is an e-mail I received from the Friends of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. This is another reason I didn't vote for Obama and the Democrats. They always want to limit our rights. The future does not look bright.
You are very correct, and thanks for the post. Personally, I'd like to see unions done away with. They served their purpose a hundred years ago, but that era is long gone. If we have to have unions, though, it is important to preserve the rights of the union members, that's a given. If the country turns Marxist, as it appears it will, then it doesn't matter. Elections will be a thing of the past too.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I agree with you about personal finances. That this topic isn't included with english, history, and science as a basic educational requirement in high school (or even earlier!) boggles my mind. I work for an investment firm in the area, and I see people of retirement age that are in debt, haven't saved a thing and are in a panic. How could you not think of this *earlier*? People are rushing to yank their money out of their IRAs and 401ks. If they only took a minute to realize that *now* is the time to invest...the reinvestment of dividends on the extra shares they can now afford alone.....but people just don't get it. They sit home glued to CNN and MSNBC getting themselves all worked up, sucking up all of the media's attempts at inducing fear. It's crazy. Sorry for going off on a tangent.....I just can't believe how many people basically ignore the issue of retirement.
Agree, especially that financial responsibility and economics should be required in school - starting in around sixth grade IMO. Something else that should be taught, IMO, is how to interpret "news" and information - that also would encourage independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections