Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both large cities and small towns, I think I've seen the workings.

Rural areas have limited choices in radio and TV. As a result, many rural areas listen all day every day to buttheads like Limbaugh and O'Reilly. Years of overexposure to hate radio starts to rot the brain to the point that the listener eventually thinks these broadcasts are informative news programs rather than propoganda.

In large cities, listeners have a variety of choices. They're exposed to various viewpoints and can then better decide which sounds more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Uh, graduation rates in the suburbs are much higher than that than those in the cities. Not sure how you can quantify a "better" education.
OK, so instead of nitpicking about the definition of a "better" education, let's put things simply for the benefit of people who may not have had same. There are more Democrats living in big cities than Republicans. Does this help answer the OP?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,697,170 times
Quote:
Uh, graduation rates in the suburbs are much higher than that than those in the cities. Not sure how you can quantify a "better" education.

'Crisis' graduation gap found between cities, suburbs - USATODAY.com
The operative word here is ACCESS...
ACCESS to a better education...and I'm not talking about public schools.
No need to jump to conclusions.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,911,452 times
Quote:
This post gets my vote for the biggest piece of garbage ever written here.
How the hell do suburbinites pay taxes for things in the city?

They work in the city, and take it home to where they pay their taxes.

You go to the neighborhoods I lived in Philly, Denver, and Pittsburgh and call them trashy.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-06-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: keep it civil please no personal attacks

Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,096,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
The operative word here is ACCESS...
ACCESS to a better education...and I'm not talking about public schools.
No need to jump to conclusions.
What do you mean by "access"? If suburban schools have much higher graduation rates than their city counterparts, don't you think the suburbs have better access since these schools are actually in the suburbs?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM

The government GIVES them??? How about the taxpayer gives them!! Many of these taxpayers are the suburbanites you bash. I find it laughable that you try to make it seem like all cities are these beautiful utopias. Go to Baltimore, Detroit, Philly, LA, Chicago and you will see plenty of people NOT caring about their neighborhoods.

Go to a bland homogenous suburb where people shop at walmart and tell me those people give two craps about their neighborhood. I lived in one of these growing up. People don't know their neighbors, and have no sense of community. What you are talking about is class. This is not class, this is the sense of pride in a community. Not poor against rich.

What's wrong with that? It's none of your business what I do on my property and as long as I pay my taxes, you should be happy I don't suck up any of those resources in your beloved city.

I didn't say anything was wrong with that. I just stated that is why they have more of a republican mindset. I never stated the republican mindset was wrong. Isn't that what republicans think? How is that insulting. Why do you feel the need to insult me for saying that[mod cut].

Perhaps in Pittsburgh. Are you actually complaining that MORE people don't move to cities?? Are you kidding me???????

Didn't I say I was going to get blasted for saying that? Did I not say that? It is my opinion, and I am allowed to share it.

[mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-06-2008 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: no personal insults please!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baynative View Post
Pretty much describes the urban liberal mindset. The thought that government GIVES anything to anyone is abhorrent to folks who live in rural areas and were raised to provide for themselves. It is the difference of dependent and independent.

Independent people are happy to live and let live. Dependent people tend to resent those who don't join the herd.
It isn't that hard to understand. I am happy for the independent mindset of rural people as I was raised in a town of 1,500 people in central PA.

Many rural towns have just as much of a sense of community as do big cities. There are lots of towns like Hollidaysburg, PA that have a strong library system, community institutions etc. There are suburbs that are more everybody for theirselves, and suburbs with more of a community sense.

People are pegging me like I hate small towns. I love small towns and was raised in one. It feels like you people more like hate big cities.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
How the hell do suburbinites pay taxes for things in the city?

They work in the city, and take it home to where they pay their taxes.

You are so ignorant. You go to the neighborhoods I lived in Philly, Denver, and Pittsburgh and call them trashy.

1) Many suburbanites work in the city. I am originally from central New Jersey and worked in Manahattan along with 75% of the rest of my town. They purchase things in the city and pay a higher tax for these things (consumables, parking, tolls, etc). They also pay an employment tax just because we work(ed) in the city. We pay just to get into the city as well. Bloomberg wanted to increase the tolls from people coming in from out of Manahattan. Unbelieveable. Suburbanites contribute quite enough to the financial well-being of cities, thank you.

2) I have lived just outside of Pittsburgh and my wife is from Philly. I know full well about those two places. Philly is a real city. Pittsburgh isn't in terms of population. I also am quite familiar with Squirrel Hill since my wife got her Master's from Chatham University. There are some nice places in those cities and there are some pretty awful places in those cities. To each their own I guess.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Moderator cut: Please report all negative dm's, posts, comments, ect and we will handle them thanks for your help.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-06-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM

7,877 posts, read 9,068,247 times
Traditionally, cities have a larger minority population who historically have voted democratic. That's why they vote blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections