Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,628,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Sorry, your "black" man is half white. How come no one remembers his white mother, grandmother and grandfather??????
What about his White mother & Grandmother...he's mentioned them constantly...why do people keep mentioning that? Its not like he never mentions it. What are people looking for when they keep questioning this?

Also, if Barak was an unknown walking down the street and comitted a crime, whoever saw it would not describe him as a white man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with the bolded... there are white nationalist groups organizing as I type and although 53% voted for him, which included a mass of enlightened and openminded whites, there is the 47% who did not... that still amounts to a pretty hefty amount of "unknowns!"

If we foolishly go along like all is merry and fair in this country and there aren't people who wish ill of Senator Obama and are racist, closed minded, and hateful we will ALL be in for a rude awakening!

Let us not be blinded by this emotional, historical, wonderful moment... there still is a such thing as reality
The 47% who did not vote for him did so for a variety of reasons. That's democracy. Obama did not and will not get a free pass into the White House. Were there some bigots amongst them? Sure, but what of it? The man won and won big. So I stand by the inconsequential remark, for that is what it is.

As for racists wishing him ill, that is what the Secret Service is for. Pretty much every President has had some kind of assassination attempt thrown at him. Most fail. If they are as you imply, then Obama would never have strived for national office.

Stretching the significance of bigotry on and on into an endless horizon right after a black man won the most powerful position in the universe with huge white support seems a tad bit absurd. Respectfully...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
So true. If you did not know who Obama was and saw him walking down the street, what race would you say he is? Come on people, My grandfather is white, but when I walk down the street, people see my pigment and say I am black(which I am).
OK, so an honest question. I just moved from a town that was extremely racially mixed (practically 50/50). There were many interracial marriages and bi-racial children. Interracial dating at the high school was common, and hardly commented on.

So why is it that all the children with white and black parents identified themselves as "black?" They were actually bi-racial, but called themselves "black?" Is that a preferred identity? Did they not want to be white? I've always wondered.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:48 PM

972 posts, read 1,326,795 times
Quote:
OK, so an honest question. I just moved from a town that was extremely racially mixed (practically 50/50). There were many interracial marriages and bi-racial children. Interracial dating at the high school was common, and hardly commented on.

So why is it that all the children with white and black parents identified themselves as "black?" They were actually bi-racial, but called themselves "black?" Is that a preferred identity? Did they not want to be white? I've always wondered.
Hi colleeng

It's called the one drop rule in the USA. google that, there is more history to it than I can type here.
Back in the day even if they wanted to be called white, they were not allowed to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Old 11-06-2008, 02:54 PM

329 posts, read 471,420 times
Default I never ever want to hear a black man c/o, your president is the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Watch this:
YouTube - Election Reaction

This is why I say that it means nothing that Obama is our first black president if we as a PEOPLE do not change! Racism is still very much sewn into our society and sadly it may get worse now... much worse before it gets better.

So for all of you who feel things such as affirmative action should be thrown out the window, think again. For some reason I feel that angry whites will take out their frustrations on blacks more obviously and blatantly as the fact of a black leader settles in

WE HAVE WORK TO DO AS A PEOPLE!
same color has yourself, quit making excuses!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,525,194 times
Quote:

They can't call themselves white because, by definition, they are not white. Just because I (and most black folks) are part white doesn't mean anything; put me next to Obama (as I have been) and we are just another couple of black dudes. Our white ancestors mean nothing in this context.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It's just like Kennedy. Once he started doing the job, people stopped thinking of him a The First Catholic President. He just became The President.
....Until they shot him.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM

943 posts, read 3,325,992 times
As I said before, the reason why some people feel threatened is because their power in this country is a direct result of theft, slavery, and persecution, and they are afraid that the descendants of the people who endured these hardships will revolt, or at the least attempt to take some of the power they hold for themselves. They emphasize "patriotism so much" because they like to stress what a "true American" is, which is Western European in their definition. They are desperate to maintain their control and power, because it was acquired so immorally, and they know if other races ever become the majority, they won't sympathize with them.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,910,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
What's with the quotation marks on elected? It's not like he had the race handed to him by his brother.
That is true but elections have been "stolen" since the beginning of voting. You see, unlike so many in this forum, I know my history and realize that elections have long been known to know the outcome before you ever vote. Just the facts. Sorry if you don't like it. BTW, Dems have been involved in voter fraud more than the Republicans. Hell, just read some history, if you are inclined to learn something.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,910,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Careful who you ask that question to. I've no doubt there are plenty here who'd answer in the affirmative, at least amongst themselves.
Think policies instead of race, that if you possibly can. It is a shame how racist so many of you libs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections