Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,909,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Hi colleeng

It's called the one drop rule in the USA. google that, there is more history to it than I can type here.
Back in the day even if they wanted to be called white, they were not allowed to.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is not because we are talking about this day and age and not 50 years ago. They call themselves black because that is how they want to be seen. There are other reasons also, like the affirmative action and other freebies that minorities get that whites don't. Also, the black gene is much stronger than the recessive caucasion gene and shows itself it much stronger than the caucasion gene. Read some inforamtion about how genes work and then stop being so racist by trying to use something that old as a reason or excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM

594 posts, read 1,040,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I wonder if this is just simply coincidence....somehow I doubt it.

Post-election fire at Springfield church raises questions - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
I thought this kind of thing only happened in the "backward" South, not the "enlightened" Northeast???

Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,909,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I thought this kind of thing only happened in the "backward" South, not the "enlightened" Northeast???

Enlightened north?!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:29 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,628,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
It is not because we are talking about this day and age and not 50 years ago. They call themselves black because that is how they want to be seen. There are other reasons also, like the affirmative action and other freebies that minorities get that whites don't. Also, the black gene is much stronger than the recessive caucasion gene and shows itself it much stronger than the caucasion gene. Read some inforamtion about how genes work and then stop being so racist by trying to use something that old as a reason or excuse.
That's a can of garbage!

Your example is incorrect because you are talking about people born around the time that the one drop rule was in effect. If Barak was considered black when he was born, he's not going to change races just because the one drop rule may not be well known anymore. It has nothing to do with AA or freebies as you say. If that was the case, then why didn't Carol Channing say she was black? if she had no concern about it she would have just told the truth. She certainly didn't hid it because she thought she would get "freebies, it was because of career choices.

Do some of you listen to yourselves or just to Hannity & Limbaugh?

I don't care of the black gene is stronger or not...if Barak was walking down the street, no one is going to say "there is a white guy with strong black genes" "

Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 PM

129 posts, read 443,264 times
If Obama had taken on his Mothers appearance (traits)? Not much to talk about, right?
Otherwise, there's plenty of us older white folk that hate what we saw other whites do to blacks back in the 60's.
I hope he becomes one of the most successful Presidents of all time.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
so do you think racism goes both ways or just one? i heard a lot of black people say "i'm voting for obama because he's black". don't you think that is racist? if i owned a business and said "i'm hiring John because he's white".....that would be racist as well...
It does go both ways. Try being the only white somewhere and you will see. I've experienced it so know.

Diane G

Old 11-06-2008, 04:02 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,761,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
If Obama had taken on his Mothers appearance (traits)? Not much to talk about, right?
Otherwise, there's plenty of us older white folk that hate what we saw other whites do to blacks back in the 60's.
I hope he becomes one of the most successful Presidents of all time.
Yes, I remember what whites did to blacks in the 60s. I was very active in the civil rights movement in my youth. I cringe every time I see the Norman Rockwell painting of the little girl going to school surrounded by State Police.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I also hope he becomes one of the most successful Presidents of all time. If he does, we all benefit, so how could we not wish him well?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,893,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Watch this:
YouTube - Election Reaction

This is why I say that it means nothing that Obama is our first black president if we as a PEOPLE do not change! Racism is still very much sewn into our society and sadly it may get worse now... much worse before it gets better.

So for all of you who feel things such as affirmative action should be thrown out the window, think again. For some reason I feel that angry whites will take out their frustrations on blacks more obviously and blatantly as the fact of a black leader settles in

WE HAVE WORK TO DO AS A PEOPLE!
I'm disappointed that the media (from what I've seen) has been pushing racism after the election.

To clarify that statement - I've seen tons of interviews of african americans treating the election victory as a something other than simply electing the best candidate.

Granted, I'm sure this was a big step towards healing whatever racial divide exists - but to myself and many others race had little or nothing to do with supporting Obama.

Last edited by compJockey; 11-06-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 PM

493 posts, read 714,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is the most ridiculous, and overstepping logic I think I have ever read on these boards.
So, is your premise that 47% of the people voted for Mccain or third party because they are racist? Or that everyone who did not vote for Obama should be suspected of racism?

Here is possibility that you apparently did not consider .......Obamas politics and ideology is not the politics and ideology for everyone. The same people who did not vote for Obama did not vote for Kerry or Gore. The same people who voted for Mccain or Barr or the Constitution or the Green party candidates did so because their politics and ideology does not match up to the politics and ideology of Obama.

Yes, racism does exist in this country. But it is people that grasp at straws to paint anyone and everyone who disagrees with them as racist that is keeping those flames alive. Everytime you accuse those that didnot vote for Obama of racism, somewhere a spark of racism flares up and does not die out. You want to know where and how racism is alive? Look in the mirror.
Ummmm NO! I said that we do not know who the 47% are, some might disagree with Senator Obama and just not be comfortable with him for experience reasons, some might be disaffected Hillary supporters, some might be evangelicals who believe that he represents the end of times or have issues with his abortion rights record, etc... but you can't deny that the racist, ill willed ones who wish harm on him and his family as well as intolerant towards minorities are not in that crowd! When I say "unknown" I am including that and we really don't know the % of them and well that's a fact!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,487,811 times
Honestly, I can't understand how these people can even spout out the nonsense they do. I would like to believe that they are just trying to get a rise out of people, but sadly, I think they may be just that stupid and delusional.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
That's a can of garbage!

Your example is incorrect because you are talking about people born around the time that the one drop rule was in effect. If Barak was considered black when he was born, he's not going to change races just because the one drop rule may not be well known anymore. It has nothing to do with AA or freebies as you say. If that was the case, then why didn't Carol Channing say she was black? if she had no concern about it she would have just told the truth. She certainly didn't hid it because she thought she would get "freebies, it was because of career choices.

Do some of you listen to yourselves or just to Hannity & Limbaugh?

I don't care of the black gene is stronger or not...if Barak was walking down the street, no one is going to say "there is a white guy with strong black genes" "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections