Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times

Advertisements

What's really sad, near where I live some woman threw a baby into a dumpster, possible from an abortion or possibly a still born and my kids had to learn about it -- it was discussed on the news. How do you tell a young child that some mothers would toss their baby's body into a dumpster -- a dumpster they've actually passed by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,696,616 times
No one supports abortion. Period.

There are women in this country, who have had the unfortunate experience of having been raped, and have subsequently gotten pregnant. So, unless you have been the victim of such an atrocity, you have no right (neither should our government) to dictate how any affected person is going to deal with that issue!

I do not need my government to give me my moral codes, my religion does that for me thank you very much!

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
And sometimes you have to tell a child about abortion because they hear about it on television and they hear it if they watch presidential debates. It was brought up in the debate and some 7 years olds are bright enough to know that when Obama said he approved of partial birth abortion what exactly that meant. That too is discussed on evening news. You can't assume that the parents are the only source of information.

8,882 posts, read 19,764,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
At 7 years old kids certainly know where babies come from even if they don't know how they get in there. Some kids even know enough about sex to know how the baby gets started.

My SIL had a miscarriage when my kids were about that age. We certainly had to talk to them about it, not much difference in talking about abortion except one is natural and one is instigated by man. What's the big deal?

Now, I think the other child was presenting an extremist view which you can also discuss with your 7 year old at the same time you can discuss abortion and what it means. I assume, since you were so offended by the extreme view of her classmate that you responded with facts rather than emotion and opinion. I have found that is the best way to counter/avoid extremism and allow the kids to develop their own opinions.
It was definitely a good teaching opportunity, although you hope not to have to do with with tears in your eyes. Parenting is always fluid. Half the time you're teaching them values and beliefs that you have, and the other half trying to help them understand where other people are coming from. And hopefully you ingrain in them a sense of balance where they will make their own decisions wisely.

Personally I would never use the kind of language that I've heard other kids pick up from adults. This was also an opportunity (because of this election) to teach our kids that they might hear other kids say bad things about black people (or any non-whites), and that it is wrong. Oy vey. Parenting.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:54 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,062,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
We can only hope that these children grow up with the ability to discern things for themselves instead of being indoctrinated with their parents' beliefs.
I wonder what Sasha and Malia hear from Michelle?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,764,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think sometimes "little pitchers have big ears." (Translation: kids sometimes make it their business to listen in on adult conversation.)
I had a 6 year old at school tell me that Obama is a baby killer. His parents seem like such nice people, no matter what their political beliefs, I can't imagine them ranting and raving about Obama in front of their kids. Maybe I'm wrong but I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Magellan, I am sorry that happened.
You might be right BlueWillowPlate. Let's hope so.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
At 7 years old kids certainly know where babies come from even if they don't know how they get in there. Some kids even know enough about sex to know how the baby gets started.

My SIL had a miscarriage when my kids were about that age. We certainly had to talk to them about it, not much difference in talking about abortion except one is natural and one is instigated by man. What's the big deal?
There's a massive difference between "Aunt Susan's baby wasn't ready to be born yet, so his spirit went back to heaven" and "Obama kills babies, check out these pictures of what he likes to do."

Children dont need to hear this stuff, and personally I think it's selfish and sadistic to force them to have to know about it. Why not just let them be children! The world is rough enough.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,403,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Obama doesn't support abortion. He supports a woman's right to choose. Although I am not for abortion, I do believe that every individual has a right to make their own choice. God gives us all free will.
To murder? I can understand if it were about the health of the mother from a tragic attack of sorts, but not because "oops, I'm pregnant and I don't know who the father is."

Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,062,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And sometimes you have to tell a child about abortion because they hear about it on television and they hear it if they watch presidential debates. It was brought up in the debate and some 7 years olds are bright enough to know that when Obama said he approved of partial birth abortion what exactly that meant. That too is discussed on evening news. You can't assume that the parents are the only source of information.

Yup, and when Clinton's trials and tribulations and weird definition of what does and does not constitute having sex appeared on television and into my living room---oh yeah...was I happy about trying to keep my kids from hearing about BJs.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,414,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
To murder? I can understand if it were about the health of the mother from a tragic attack of sorts, but not because "oops, I'm pregnant and I don't know who the father is."
Are you asking me if God gives us free will to murder? If so, let me ask you this, does God stop people from murdering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections