U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,265,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Depends on what you allow on the television or radio. Other kids - you set the standards for what your children feel comfortable around.

I'm just saying that I think kids are too young to know the graphic details about evil things. Even if you explain it they dont really understand, they dont have the tools. It's not fair to them.

But to say whats the big deal, they're the same thing - IMO no they're absolutely not. You can explain to your child how mommy and daddy got him, but can you then explain rape? They're just too young to grapple.
Who the heck said anything about rape or graphic details? Quit taking it to extremes!! I said a miscarriage is a natural event and an abortion is man made but the conversation you would have with a 7 year old would be about the same. I didn't say they are the same. Geesh. Any conversation with kids needs to be age appropriate and in terms they will understand. From that perspective, it is not a big deal to talk with them about it.

Last edited by NCyank; 11-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM

68,670 posts, read 57,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Who the heck said anything about rape or graphic details? Quite taking it to extremes!! I said a miscarriage is a natural event and an abortion is man made but the conversation you would have with a 7 year old would be about the same. I didn't say they are the same. Geesh. Any conversation with kids needs to be age appropriate and in terms they will understand. From that perspective, it is not a big deal to talk with them about it.
I honestly don't know why you would have a conversation with a 7 year old about anyone's abortion. Maybe your own, if you'd already told your child you were pregnant, but even then I'd keep it short "we're not going to have a baby now". Certainly not about anyone else's! Same with miscarriage. When my neighbor had a miscarriage, I told my kids her baby died. I forget how old they were, maybe 6 and 9.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM

47,586 posts, read 33,856,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I'm late to the party, again. I quoted some of what I thought were very relevant posts here.

Uh, I don't remember that from the debates. I didn't see every minute of every one of them, I will admit. But I don't remember reading about that on the news, either.
It came up in the third Obama-McCain debate. A question was asked about partial birth abortion and Obama admitted he is for them, McCain said he isn't.

I allow my kids to watch news and presidential debates, but maybe it's where I live but I don't see how you can shelter kids much anymore, might as well figure on dealing with certain issues very early on.

They don't necessarily have to know how a baby "got there" to figure out some mommies don't want their babies.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM

68,670 posts, read 57,369,711 times
Now that is one I watched. Can you provide a link?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM

And the news here covers child abuse cases and child killing cases quite well. Kids figure out early on that some parents do horrendous things to their babies but other parents love and want their children.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Now that is one I watched. Can you provide a link?
I didn't watch it on the internet, we had it on television. I'm sure you're aware that Obama is pro-partial birth abortion. It was asked during that third debate.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 2,907,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My 7 year old daughter said last night that a kid in her class told her that "Obama kills babies". She was in tears because she voted for Obama in her class's election. Obviously the kid picked it up from a parent somewhere. Regardless of where you fall on the abortion issue, it's very sad that some parents would drag 7 year olds into a very complicated, contentious and gut-wrenching ADULT issue to which they have no sense of understanding, and to use such divisive language at that.

In my opinion, parents have no business talking about the abortion issue with 7 year olds.
That is indeed very sad, and shows a remarkable lack of "parental wisdom" on the part of the parent that did this. He is she is also, most likely, a parent who believes that age appropriate sex education is an abomination! All the more reason to drastically improve our public education system. Children must be taught to gather facts (not opinions) to understand issues from multiple points of view, and to form their own opinions based on their understanding in light of the knowledge that they are able to gather. That, along with basic reading, math and scientific method, is the most important thing that our schools can do. (and I say this as a person trained in fine arts education, which I also believe is very important, and needs to be nurtured in young people, but who knows that if our society is going to grow and prosper, reason must prevail!)

Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't watch it on the internet, we had it on television. I'm sure you're aware that Obama is pro-partial birth abortion. It was asked during that third debate.
CPD: 2008 Debate Transcript (http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2008d.html - broken link)

I found the transcripts for you -- hint -- google.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,265,707 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know why you would have a conversation with a 7 year old about anyone's abortion. Maybe your own, if you'd already told your child you were pregnant, but even then I'd keep it short "we're not going to have a baby now". Certainly not about anyone else's! Same with miscarriage. When my neighbor had a miscarriage, I told my kids her baby died. I forget how old they were, maybe 6 and 9.
I am beginning to question basic reading comprehension skills of some posters here.

Where did I say I would discuss any one persons abortion? Yes, we discussed my SIL's miscarriage starting with simple terms...Aunt Susan's baby died and we are so sad that she won't be joining the family. However, my kids often asked more questions (why did the baby die, where did the baby go, did any of your babies die, will she have another baby, etc.) and deserved honest, age appropriate answers just as they did when they first asked 'What does abortion mean.' Geesh, you people are just absurd in coming to conclusions here.

My son was 4 when he asked me to explain insurance. He was 5 when we were in Walmart and wanted to know what Tampax means. It was about that same time that he wanted to know why his wiener was hard sometimes (we used correct terms but since some of you seem sensitive I used 'wiener' just for you). He was about 7 when he understood sperm and eggs from mommies and daddies make babies and that Aunt Susan's baby died before it was born. He was 9-10 when he asked about PMS.

If they are old enough to ask, then they are old enough for an honest yet age appropriate answer. What the heck is so hard to understand about that?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM

796 posts, read 1,470,078 times
Talking "Nulla salus extra ecclesium"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Obama doesn't support abortion. He supports a woman's right to choose. Although I am not for abortion, I do believe that every individual has a right to make their own choice. God gives us all free will.
GOD said kill em all - I will sort em out?

No, No - that was them crusaders stormed Acre under Baldwin in 1104.

No, No - it is "Nulla salus extra ecclesium"

Genesis 9:6 - God says that "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man".

Forbids: Murder, abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, suicide, sterilization, mutilation, battery, unjustified anger, giving scandal, inordinate accumulation of armament, commerce in arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections