Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,575,567 times

Advertisements

Except for Piscataquis County in Maine.

Another rather surprising fact: New England has exactly 0 Republican represtantives represetning it in Congress.

It's even more shocking to think that as recently as the late 80s, Vermont and Maine used to be solid Republican red states!

This is a direct result of Bush and the GOP being hijacked by evangelical nutjobs and racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post

Another rather surprising fact: New England has exactly 0 Republican represtantives represetning it in Congress.

It's even more shocking to think that as recently as the late 80s, Vermont and Maine used to be Republican red state!

This is a direct result of Bush and the GOP being hijacked by evangelical nutjobs and racists.

Good, maybe we can expand that to include the entire country. Just imagine how great we could be without Republicans.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,451,391 times
Lincoln, Seward and the old Civil War Republicans would be turning in their grave if they saw the GOP dominating the South while the Democrats have a monopoly on New England. Massachussetts It used to be THE center of the GOP in America. Who would have thought, eh?

Crazy stuff...indeed.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,678,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Good, maybe we can expand that to include the entire country. Just imagine how great we could be without Republicans.
Sort of like Kalifornia and now New York? ...HAHA!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:

It's even more shocking to think that as recently as the late 80s, Vermont and Maine used to be solid Republican red states!

You know, I hate to admit this, but you are absolutely right. I've always been a firm believer that religion shouldn't interfere with politics, yet alone being one of the major planks of the platform (the others being economics and national security, preservation of borders and culture etc). Because, inherently, this part of the country doesn't look to the government for food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing etc. I have to think they are believers in individual liberty. Therefore, I have to conclude the 'Yankee' mentality inherently resists religion as being a core part of their politicial platform. And, I happen to agree with this. That being said, I often refer to the religious segment of politics as a 'horse**** issue'. It's used as a distraction to take the focus off more important issues. Suggested in another way, what really motivates me is economics, frivilous government spending, tax increases. Because these factors can impact me much more swiftly than the other political issues. I think being able to retain as much of my earnings as possible trumps ones religious zeal. The Republicans like to pride themselves as the 'big tent', however, regionally, it seems, religious followers must be excluded from the Republican big tent philosophy going forward. And, interpreting the Constitution, it does make sense.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM

64 posts, read 130,727 times
Quote:
Evangelical nutjobs maybe, but where are you getting racists? That is total nonsense.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Peter Welch of VT actually ran for both parties. So it's inaccurate to say there isn't a single Republican representative from New England, as there is one, sort of. But that's VT for you.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,555,699 times
Quote:

I live at Moosehead Lake, right in the heart of Piscataquis County.

We are the second largest County and the poorest in mean income.

Religion and guns are huge here.

The Moonbats in the population centers (cities) of the New England states have a greater say in the election process because of the sheer number of people living there who know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what is good for us.

Racists and religious nutjob are terms used by uninformed busy bodies and liberal crybabies who have no coherent thought process.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:55 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,325,096 times
I live in Piscatiquis County. Guns are huge here, people hunt. It's part of life for a lot of people and having a deer or moose in the freezer for winter is important to some families. Religion is also huge here.
The Fundamentalists Christian groups in this area have a lot to do with the direction of the voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections