Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times

Advertisements

Our family's wounds will heal. My sister, who is a teacher and no longer lives in our household, and I, a college student and salesman, both voted for Sen. Obama while our father voted for Sen. McCain and encouraged my mother, who is politically apathetic, to do the same. Every day we had arguments as he would watch Bill O'Reilly or Hannity & Colmes on Fox News in the living room as I watched CNN in our home office while surfing MSNBC on the web. I had an Obama bumper sticker on my car and brought home an Obama yard sign that I promptly donated to our neighbors, fellow Obama supporters, before he could burn it in a bonfire as he had threatened to do. This election tore EVERYONE apart!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-06-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
I can only think of one misguided soul in my family who voted for Obama. We generally avoid political discussions, but he insisted on bringing it up for the last few months. This week he has been gloating to his mother about Obama's win nonstop. He said he voted for Obama because he feels bad for all the people who don't have jobs and have to rely on government support.

This year for Christmas we will be buying the rest of the family regular gifts. We will be sending the money we normally spend on him to a local soup kitchen. He will get a nice card tho.
I'm so glad I'm not a mean-spirited Republican like you. After all, YOUR candidate lost by a LARGE margin. Shouldn't that tell you something?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Sounds like your SIL has some serious issues aside from the election. I have no idea how the rest of my family voted, since we live far from them. However, we'll be together Thanksgiving, and I don't expect any arguments to erupt over it. I, personally, don't argue politics (except with DH -- and that's fun!), and just walk away if it gets started. I have never seen any argument over politics change one's mind, anyway, so what's the point?
I agree, but even if there was a mind to be changed, the election is over . I just find it hard to argue about stuff over pie. The world would be a better place if everyone who disagreed had to do so over a slice of pie.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM

972 posts, read 1,325,760 times
Quote:
I can only think of one misguided soul in my family who voted for Obama. We generally avoid political discussions, but he insisted on bringing it up for the last few months. This week he has been gloating to his mother about Obama's win nonstop. He said he voted for Obama because he feels bad for all the people who don't have jobs and have to rely on government support.

This year for Christmas we will be buying the rest of the family regular gifts. We will be sending the money we normally spend on him to a local soup kitchen. He will get a nice card tho.
misguided huh

Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,575,823 times
We are happier family now.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,421,472 times
Quote:

LOL!!

Really discussing politics is only fun or interesting when it's good-natured, or even when it's heated but people you can trust to have a heated discussion. Or -- when at any point you can walk away like on this kind of forum.

There's no point ruining a family reunion or get-together with a bunch of anger. It accomplishes nothing.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM

877 posts, read 2,070,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm so glad I'm not a mean-spirited Republican like you. After all, YOUR candidate lost by a LARGE margin. Shouldn't that tell you something?
Who said I was mean spirited? It is his opinion that other people know how to spend my money for me better than I do. I disagree with that philosophy.

I am merely giving him what he wants: someone else to spend "his" money for him.

edit: I also think it's incredily poor taste for him to "gloat" to his mother about Obama's win. He is lording it over her, much like I have seen Obama supporters here do. "Your brand of racism/hatred/bigotry are over!" "The Republicans are through!" "No more war-criminal president!" Especially since he is in graduate school and his mother sends him money every month.

Kid needs to learn some manners if nothing else.

15,218 posts, read 30,396,210 times
I have arguments over pie all the time. Sometimes with myself. It's a big debate as to whether I should eat some pumpkin pie first, or some lemon meringue. They should televise it this year. Should get better ratings than the second-tier bowl games.

1,800 posts, read 5,696,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The election was just this week, feelings are still raw. Things may feel differently by December, especially if you let the subject go. Let wounds heal. Try to forgive and try to be the bigger man, you'll be glad you did.

And if a family member's really being a jerk about politics by then--well, give her space. Her reaction may have to do with stress about the economy or some other problem. Try to get together next year if you don't get together this year. Family is too important to let a political disagreement tear it apart.
Thank you! You really put things in perspective.

She's married to a wealthy man who likes to squirrel his money away, so that could be the bigger issue for her. They are an over-$250,000-earning family, so I guess I should see her point.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,145,647 times
Quote:
My bet is your family was dysfunctional before the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections