Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Tell that to my SIL!

I agree...
I lost a friend I had for over 35 years over Hillary. It's such a silly story and I can't believe she stopped communicating with me. Oh well, with friends (and a SIL like yours), who needs enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM

289 posts, read 362,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Than your family unit and extended was weak to begin with. We voted all over the place some Rep some Dem some 3rd party.

Makes no difference . Its over now and we all hope whoever is in charge does well .
Well said. Most families I know are solid as a rock. Nothing wrong with a good heated discussion over politics but live goes on.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM

289 posts, read 362,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I lost a friend I had for over 35 years over Hillary. It's such a silly story and I can't believe she stopped communicating with me. Oh well, with friends (and a SIL like yours), who needs enemies.
A real friend would still be there. Her problem not yours.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I have two brothers. One is a hardcore Democrat, the other a neo-con. I am more of a Ron Paul type Republican. Our father is a very successful, dyed in the wool, listen to Rush in his brand new convertible retiree living in Naples. My Demo brother voted Obama for obvious reasons. I voted Obama because I don't like the direction the Republicans are going. My brother and my father haven't spoken in a month and a half and as soon as my dad found out I was voting Republican I haven't heard from him since. I also noticed that all the funny e-mails we used to get from my Demo brother no longer go to my dad.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:26 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
...mine included.

The Holidays will not be the same this year.
(We may not even attend.)

Anyone else's family relationships suffering from the fallout?
If anyone at all allows politics to hurt their family relations it just shows their immaturity.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
If anyone at all allows politics to hurt their family relations it just shows their immaturity.
I completely agree, but when you're on the "winning" side, there's really nothing much you can do, after another family member calls you "ignorant" for siding with Obama.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
...mine included.

The Holidays will not be the same this year.
(We may not even attend.)

Anyone else's family relationships suffering from the fallout?
Why would you let this divide your family?? If this can divide you from your loved ones then the bonds must have been weak to begin with. Neither my sister (Catholic anti abortion) nor my wonderful loving aunt are a bit less loved by me today than they ever have been even if they did commit the ultimate sin and vote for McCain. I respect and love them and they do me.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
My family will be celebrating as usual, not big deal at all. Me and my mom had a couple of brief discussions about the election. She was surprised I wasn't voting for McCain, I was surprised she was. I explained why I supported Chuck Baldwin, she explained why she supported McCain, and we let it go at that.

Families that allow politics to divide them need to start focusing on family more and stop focusing on politics as much. There has to be an imbalace going on for politics to divide.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I have two brothers. One is a hardcore Democrat, the other a neo-con. I am more of a Ron Paul type Republican. Our father is a very successful, dyed in the wool, listen to Rush in his brand new convertible retiree living in Naples. My Demo brother voted Obama for obvious reasons. I voted Obama because I don't like the direction the Republicans are going. My brother and my father haven't spoken in a month and a half and as soon as my dad found out I was voting Republican I haven't heard from him since. I also noticed that all the funny e-mails we used to get from my Demo brother no longer go to my dad.
Then contact them!And if political positions create friction in a family just avoid it all together.There are some reasons that make friends or family drift away but don't let politics be one of them.

If you value them do what has to be done to stay close.The day will come when you won't be able to see them ever again and things left undone and unsaid will haunt to ever after...........I know this.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Than your family unit and extended was weak to begin with. We voted all over the place some Rep some Dem some 3rd party.

Makes no difference . Its over now and we all hope whoever is in charge does well .
"was weak to begin with"??? where the HELL do you get off making judgements on other people's families??? This election might have brought up extremely contentious issues within this family. don't be so judgemental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections