Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM

945 posts, read 1,966,526 times

Advertisements

My son is working for a Raleigh bank that has done very well, even with the slowdown. He said things have slowed up dramatically this week. They do retail and business loans. They have money to lend, buy very few takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
My son is working for a Raleigh bank that has done very well, even with the slowdown. He said things have slowed up dramatically this week. They do retail and business loans. They have money to lend, buy very few takers.
All is not lost! I'm sure the transpot companies will be beating down the bank's door tomorrow. They need to borrow money to buy more dump trucks to haul all this manure.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Was the business that local law firm with offices off High House Road? I forget the exact name but I know it's kind of weird...something like "SP2SCV, Charlton, Jedi, In, & Out Partners" if I recall correctly.....
ha. might want to add "view from the peak" to that list.

Last edited by Gatornation; 11-06-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,929,227 times
It's funny that you poke fun at Exit MA...while I definitely didn't even consider tweedledee or tweedledum this election cycle with a ten foot pole (yeah, I'm in that 1% category that CNN conveniently leaves out of the electoral map ), where I agree with Exit MA is how the only "change" we'll see is accelerated deficits and more unemployment than what we've seen, regardless of what's done overseas (which I predict not nearly as much as people think). I didn't see the alternative as doing anything better either. But, after 4 years of economic **** we can once again play the blame game and say that it was the previous guy's fault, not enough government, too many greedy people, not high enough taxes, (insert ridiculous reason here).

But, just like a couple of months ago with my Februrary prediction of Fannie/Freddie going bust, it'll be another "I told you so".

You think the last bust in RTP post dot bomb was bad? Just wait a little longer...

But why listen to me? Maybe someone who's predicted the very economic collapse for the past 5 years can tell you himself what the upcoming administration means to you as a Triangle resident:

YouTube - Peter Schiff 11-5-08 Part 1 of 6

From 1:40 onward. Oh, and he predicted an Obama landslide FWIW back when Hillary was running against him.

Change is a-comin'...bank on it (no pun intended)

I pray that the president elect will do a complete 180 from what he promised.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's funny that you poke fun at Exit MA...while I definitely didn't even consider tweedledee or tweedledum this election cycle with a ten foot pole (yeah, I'm in that 1% category that CNN conveniently leaves out of the electoral map ), where I agree with Exit MA is how the only "change" we'll see is accelerated deficits and more unemployment than what we've seen, regardless of what's done overseas (which I predict not nearly as much as people think). I didn't see the alternative as doing anything better either. But, after 4 years of economic **** we can once again play the blame game and say that it was the previous guy's fault, not enough government, too many greedy people, not high enough taxes, (insert ridiculous reason here).

But, just like a couple of months ago with my Februrary prediction of Fannie/Freddie going bust, it'll be another "I told you so".

You think the last bust in RTP post dot bomb was bad? Just wait a little longer...

But why listen to me? Maybe someone who's predicted the very economic collapse for the past 5 years can tell you himself what the upcoming administration means to you as a Triangle resident:

YouTube - Peter Schiff 11-5-08 Part 1 of 6

From 1:40 onward. Oh, and he predicted an Obama landslide FWIW back when Hillary was running against him.

Change is a-comin'...bank on it (no pun intended)

I pray that the president elect will do a complete 180 from what he promised.

GREAT POST!!! I am also not affiliated and did not like what was served on either plate. The end result now is what you posted. Spot on for the Triangle. The story Kim told me today about her boyfriend losing his job sealed the deal in my mind. Many more Triangle small businesses are going to be in a world of hurt and that will trickle up to the big companies.

I feel a "STORM" in the airrrrrrrrrr, for the Triangle.

I tried to give you rep points, but I guess I have given you way to many lately.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
I think people are having fun with "exit" because you and I both know people get laid off every day, even during the best of times. It is convienent for a boss to blame it on the other guy, but that doesn't make it true. Who's to blame for the 400 people laid off from Sony a few weeks ago? Maybe we should just blame it on my dog. He looks guilty as hell and I don't think he voted for Bob Barr like he said he would.

Only time will tell about the economy and jobs.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:22 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,725,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think people are having fun with "exit" because you and I both know people get laid off every day, even during the best of times. It is convienent for a boss to blame it on the other guy, but that doesn't make it true. Who's to blame for the 400 people laid off from Sony a few weeks ago? Maybe we should just blame it on my dog. He looks guilty as hell and I don't think he voted for Bob Barr like he said he would.

Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,987 times
I am coming down with Phlebitis again. Started just after the election. I totally blame the vote. Did not have a episode while the Republicans were in power, and now..all swole up and sore.

Wow, I have just made the second dumbest post in this thread. Ouch.

LLN

Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,929,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

I'm merely saying that the deficits are going to EXPLODE (you ain't seen nothing yet). That will take a concerted effort among both branches of government. I am not inferring the "change" to just one person, but also an almost filibuster proof majority in the Senate and blind obedience to "the party", enough blind obedience that even the 4th district I keep bringing up re-elected a massively inferior candidate solely based on the letter beside their name. I'm also not taking away from what happened between 2000 and 2006 with a majority on the other side. They were massive spendaholics and fueled loose monetary policy, but capitalism is going to be the whipping boy this time 'round, and that will have serious negative consequences on the economy in the form of decreased tax revenue (national as well as local to the Triangle).

I like the Barr soundbite. Ironically, there wre only 3 choices this time around, since write-ins wouldn't count.

It's laughable to see on media websites for calls of governement to "fix" the economic crisis. Inherently, government can only make things worse. It cannot fix anything other than to restrict spending and lower taxes. Do you think we'll see that? Fat chance.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I'm merely saying that the deficits are going to EXPLODE (you ain't seen nothing yet). That will take a concerted effort among both branches of government. I am not inferring the "change" to just one person, but also an almost filibuster proof majority in the Senate and blind obedience to "the party", enough blind obedience that even the 4th district I keep bringing up re-elected a massively inferior candidate solely based on the letter beside their name. I'm also not taking away from what happened between 2000 and 2006 with a majority on the other side. They were massive spendaholics and fueled loose monetary policy, but capitalism is going to be the whipping boy this time 'round, and that will have serious negative consequences on the economy in the form of decreased tax revenue (national as well as local to the Triangle).

I like the Barr soundbite. Ironically, there wre only 3 choices this time around, since write-ins wouldn't count.

It's laughable to see on media websites for calls of governement to "fix" the economic crisis. Inherently, government can only make things worse. It cannot fix anything other than to restrict spending and lower taxes. Do you think we'll see that? Fat chance.

Alright...I need the ability to give consecutive rep points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections