Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM

234 posts, read 293,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I agree with Rush .....
My respect for you sir as a thinking individual quadrupled.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,436,457 times
As a Hindu, I can't help but think that growing up in Louisiana back in the 70s/80s didn't contribute to lil Piyush's conversion to Christianity. With that said, I do believe he is actually sincere about all of his social positions unlike Romney and has the ability to be a sharp technocrat unlike Bush.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,122,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
religion as a whole when it mixes with political discourse scares me. i don't like when obama has to talk about being xtian. i don't like his assoc with wright. if it were up to me, i wish obama was an agnostic. but one can't be an outright agnostic to run for national office in the US. what worries me with jindal is that from the talks i've heard him give, his social policies are based too much on religion IMO. i long for the day where religion is not brought up at all in political discourse in america but that won't happen in my lifetime.

xtian??? What is that supposed to mean? It is not taboo to write Christian, doesn't mean you condone it or anything.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,843,874 times
Has Jindahl had some good accomplishments in Louisiana? I used to live there but that was 1o years ago. At that time, they were neck to neck with Mississippi for having the worst education system in the U.S. Lots of poverty too, although, that seems to be everywhere. I need to read up on him. What's his deal?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,563,896 times
Jindal would not win, but he would make a great VP selection. If anything 2008 was a bailout plan for the GOP, McCain was chosen because he was out of the loop, considered a Democrat by many Republicans. What can be said is W was similar to a Nixon presidency, using the ends to justify the means, stirring a backlash which only then was a peanut farmer able to follow with a failed one-term presidency and subsequently arousing the GOP to it's true platform that of its conservative icon, Regan. If history does indeed repeat itself, that of a conservative icon will reappear, perhaps Mitt Romney or Charlie Crist and make America strong once again in 2012-2020.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 AM

438 posts, read 501,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrun View Post
Most ppl from india actually have more black blood than white. Notice bobby jindal skin color is darker than alot of african americans. He's hair color last time i check is black like a african american and not blonde or brunette like a white person.
The small Sidi community of Gujarat are of African origin, they were brought to India by Arab slave traders. The Sidis despite the effects of genocide have maintained their African origin musical traditions. The Indigenous people of the Andaman Islands look phenotypically African but it has not been determined if they actually are African. The Makrani in Pakistan and SE Iran are also of African origin , who are descendants of slaves. The majority of Indian Haplogroups (DNA) is unique to the sub continent.

The definition of "White" varys. Anthropologists or those going by scientific classification will say "White" is just a synonym for Caucasoid. In society, "White" means one who is of European descent or looks European. So if folks say that the GOP base and or some of the party apparatus does not warm to Jindal because he is not "White", it is not an erroneous statement because we are talking cultural perception of what "White" means.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,973,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Jindal was a Hindu who converted to Christianity while still a teenager.
Ohhhh so you're trying to use LOGIC and FACT to defend any potential smears against Jindal's religion...hmm... were you part of the group that refused to listen to LOGIC and FACT regarding the rumors about Obama being a Muslim?
Just curious.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,973,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
xtian??? What is that supposed to mean? It is not taboo to write Christian, doesn't mean you condone it or anything.
helloooo... ever hear of abbreviation? xmas?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:17 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,523,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
The small Sidi community of Gujarat are of African origin, they were brought to India by Arab slave traders. The Sidis despite the effects of genocide have maintained their African origin musical traditions. The Indigenous people of the Andaman Islands look phenotypically African but it has not been determined if they actually are African. The Makrani in Pakistan and SE Iran are also of African origin , who are descendants of slaves. The majority of Indian Haplogroups (DNA) is unique to the sub continent.

The definition of "White" varys. Anthropologists or those going by scientific classification will say "White" is just a synonym for Caucasoid. In society, "White" means one who is of European descent or looks European. So if folks say that the GOP base and or some of the party apparatus does not warm to Jindal because he is not "White", it is not an erroneous statement because we are talking cultural perception of what "White" means.
Bingo.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Jindal was a Hindu who converted to Christianity while still a teenager.

For the record: had McCain picked him over Palin..........the election may have gone differently.
I don't know ... the GOP is in a mess right now. Jindal would end up having the defend his faith similar to the way the Obama, and even Romney did. Romney will scare people (which makes no sense to me, I think he should be the darling of the GOP), because, first, most evangelicals think that the LDS Church is a cult and second, his father was born in Mexico because Romney's grandparents were polygymists ... again, I think it's stupid, but then again, this minority also continue to think that Sarah Palin is a godsend to the party.

Jindal is almost as radical as Palin.

If the GOP is smart, they'll back someone like Tim Pawlenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections