Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL....please explain the 'gunshow loophole'?

What is the difference between an 'assault weapon' and a hunting rifle?
Loophole = selling multiply in large quantity illegally or without a NICS check ( criminal background check to see if you are banned from owning firearms, like a felon). Generally done by unscrupulous people for the sake of quick sale or quick buys and many wind up in cities, not necessarily at gun shows.

Hunting rifle = generally used for exactly that: hunting. Also used for target. Ours are from breakopen shotguns for bird to heavy deer rifles. [We aren't "into" guns which are looking scary.]

Assault rifle = a term used by the anti-gun people to define any gun that they don't like or looks scary, the list includes anything from from my .22 target/varmint rifle [with a clip and a scope] to military style rifles. Scopes and clips scare the anti crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,508,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
ya know,those of you who so arrogantly with an elitist tone smear firearm enthusiasts feel you are superior to decide for others what they need I'll just leave what I posted here for you to read and hopefully think about.

Some of you will never come around,some of you are intent on screaming for your pet freedom while taking delight in stopping other's freedom,and using feel good illogical excuses to justify to yourself that you are more enlightened than us small penis,backwoods,living in the 1776's gun owners........

Ah so the Democratic party is the patry of the "common people",well maybe the common criminal will benefit from that anyway...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6046684-post50.html
I like how you call it "elitist". That term has been overused on this forum, don't you think? And it means nothing. No one is killing your love of guns, calm down. You have them right? What's the problem again?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,790,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Well what do you mean by Gun Control?

Yes there should be rules to get them own them and keep them..
And if there is technology to make them child safe, that is good.

Should someone on the street really have a full assault weapon??

I dunno about that..
Banning firearms,forcing gun owners to have restrictions placed upon them,making it prohibitively expensive to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights.

To be honest,I cannot see any rules that will make illegal use of firearms disappear.

It is up to the owner as to whether they have a gun lock on their firearms,you are free to buy one,I am free to not.

What is a full assault weapon?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I like how you call it "elitist". That term has been overused on this forum, don't you think? And it means nothing. No one is killing your love of guns, calm down. You have them right? What's the problem again?
The problem is not just about "me".See,I think about the freedom of others also,not just mine.I want future American's to have the same individual freedoms we have.And it is elitist when I constantly am told I don't need that or this or them......

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 PM

972 posts, read 1,325,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I do suspect an AWB will pass. However, door to door confiscation probably won't happen because people like Jim Webb, etc are too blue dog to ever think about losing their jobs over it.
They didnt take them away what people already had in the 90s?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Loophole = selling multiply in large quantity illegally or without a NICS check ( criminal background check to see if you are banned from owning firearms, like a felon). Generally done by unscrupulous people for the sake of quick sale or quick buys and many wind up in cities, not necessarily at gun shows.
I disagree,the 'loophole' is you can buy a firearm from a private individual without a background check....

Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
. No one is killing your love of guns, calm down. You have them right? What's the problem again?
Ummm, Obama's plan to ban them perhaps???

Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,929,227 times
Quote:
Nope, never heard of such a thing. I've never heard (outside of Katrina) government ordering people to return weapons. The Nazis did it and ordered they be returned within 24 hours under penalty of death. Some say the Nazis never invaded Switzerland because almost every citizen owned a high powered rifle and was well-trained in their usage. Other reasons of course too like terrain would make it difficult to claim and annex land in there.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

Hunting rifle = generally used for exactly that: hunting. Also used for target. Ours are from breakopen shotguns for bird to heavy deer rifles. [We aren't "into" guns which are looking scary.]

Assault rifle = a term used by the anti-gun people to define any gun that they don't like or looks scary, the list includes anything from from my .22 target/varmint rifle [with a clip and a scope] to military style rifles. Scopes and clips scare the anti crowd.
And what prevents a person from just enjoying a loophole of selling them in a parking lot?They don't need to go to a show to sell one under the table.See,there is no loop hole,it is yet another propaganda spinned to close down gunshows and just make life harder on gunowners......

Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
No,they did make it illegal to own one and put certain cosmetic features on the firearm...

Also it makes these types of firearms prohibitively expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections