Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
yes I believe in the Bill of Rights that doesn't mean guns shouldn't be regulated. What do you think guns are for if not to kill? Obama is not going to take your guns away. Geesh some of you people are paranoid as hell.
You all make comments that we don't need them.You make comments that you support them passing a ban.And you wonder why we are defense and paranoid?

What for if not to kill?I have been shooting for 30 years and haven't shot anybody yet.So I guess I found a different reason for them afterall despite whatever they may have been designed for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
We have bigger problems than your silly little guns at this time.
In case you haven't noticed, our economy is in shambles.
I think you have a temporary reprieve, but not from your apparent paranoia.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,790,837 times
Weird that OBAMA'S OWN WEBSITE has it posted.....

Are Obamatrons unable to READ????

Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,137,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
yes I believe in the Bill of Rights that doesn't mean guns shouldn't be regulated. What do you think guns are for if not to kill? Obama is not going to take your guns away. Geesh some of you people are paranoid as hell.
How many people die by firearms v.s automobile accidents per year?
Does that mean that cars which are not a protected right should also be banned?
Guns are not specifically designed to kill people. They are designed to acurately deliver a projectile at a target. Just like a Bow delivers an arrow.
Most legal gun owners buy their firearms for target shooting, home defence or hunting.
Waiting period. Although I have no issue with it many do and thats a personal issue for them.
Gun regestration. No issue with that either. But many do. I have no issue with the gov monitering bank, cell phones, and internet when business is transacted over seas. Many folks do.
I say punish anyone who miuses a firearm. Capital punishment for every single violator. If you use a firearm in the commision of a crime. You are dead. With freedom comes responsibility. Criminals don't care about laws let them pay for it.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 AM

972 posts, read 1,325,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Weird that OBAMA'S OWN WEBSITE has it posted.....

Are Obamatrons unable to READ????
How can anyone want to talk to you if you call names?
Get some respect for the majority of people in the USA.. which
happened to have voted for Obama.

Being mean and nasty isnt helping anyone, just ask McCain!!

Anyhow, I have a feeling you do not live in a big city and
just do not see a need for these things.

My father was a Police officer, there is a need to help them
in the cities. Gang violence is really out of control.

You can still kill your deer with what you got, how is
gun control aimed at protecting the urban places
really hurting you? You didnt have these guns they
are talking about making the ban on for a long time,
and Obama didnt write up that ban either, btw since it was done
in the 90's remember.. so what are you missing exactly?

You act like total gun ban is on the table when it isnt.

What I found on the site you linked:

Quote:
Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM

858 posts, read 1,495,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
How can anyone want to talk to you if you call names?
Get some respect for the majority of people in the USA.. which
happened to have voted for Obama.

Being mean and nasty isnt helping anyone, just ask McCain!!

Anyhow, I have a feeling you do not live in a big city and
just do not see a need for these things.

My father was a Police officer, there is a need to help them
in the cities. Gang violence is really out of control.

You can still kill your deer with what you got, how is
gun control aimed at protecting the urban places
really hurting you? You didnt have these guns they
are talking about making the ban on for a long time,
that Obama didnt write up that ban either, btw since it was done
in the 90's remember.. so what are you missing exactly?
For one. The "MAJORITY" did not vote for Obama.

Second. What in the hell is it going to take for you people to see that no matter how many bans they put into effect, it will not effect the CRIMINALS??? You can ban ALL guns, CRIMINALS will still have them! Look at Australia, when they banned all firearms, there crime rate SKYROCKETED! What do you think would happen here? That is not what the topic is about but COME ON! IF they do ban ALL "assault weapons" that WILL NOT stop the criminals, THEY WILL STILL HAVE THEM!

Third. Assault weapon is THE MOST stupidest term I have ever heard. Just because it resembles something that the military uses does not mean it was made to "assault". Do you think semi-auto shotguns are assault weapons, as well? Or what about hand guns? Since most of them are semi-auto? what is the difference? NOT ONE THING! All you people who see no problem with these "bans" need to educate yourself more in firearms before passing judgment.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Perhaps his followers should learn to READ???
It gets a little old when they simply knee jerk respond without READING.

The firearms in question aren't used in many crimes, can you perhaps explain how banning them will help???

Can you explain how making it difficult for law abiding citizens to buy a firearm will stop a criminal from illegally doing so?

And finally,as to it 'only banning some guns', do you favor restricting free speech in the same manner???

Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
For one. The "MAJORITY" did not vote for Obama.

Second. What in the hell is it going to take for you people to see that no matter how many bans they put into effect, it will not effect the CRIMINALS??? You can ban ALL guns, CRIMINALS will still have them! Look at Australia, when they banned all firearms, there crime rate SKYROCKETED! What do you think would happen here? That is not what the topic is about but COME ON! IF they do ban ALL "assault weapons" that WILL NOT stop the criminals, THEY WILL STILL HAVE THEM!

Third. Assault weapon is THE MOST stupidest term I have ever heard. Just because it resembles something that the military uses does not mean it was made to "assault". Do you think semi-auto shotguns are assault weapons, as well? Or what about hand guns? Since most of them are semi-auto? what is the difference? NOT ONE THING! All you people who see no problem with these "bans" need to educate yourself more in firearms before passing judgment.
why are you shouting at me? About Obama, he won the popular vote too. duh!!

Do I think a shotgun is an assault weapon? All guns can kill.

My father was killed with one. And I am not raging in this forum against them. I am not typing to you in all caps.

I think you need to calm down. The cops want the ability to trace weapons. Whats wrong with that?

Look to me like they want to make the ban that was in place in the 90s till 04 in affect because data suggests it helped crime.

So I dunno what you are upset about, honestly. Are you a criminal? Are you in a militia? You dont think the cops should be able to trace guns?

I dont understand where you guys are coming from.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Is it wrong for the police to listen in to all phone calls?

Is it wrong for the police to read your emails?

It will be for the good of society.

By the way,the AWB did NOTHING to curb crime....

Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps his followers should learn to READ???
It gets a little old when they simply knee jerk respond without READING.

The firearms in question aren't used in many crimes, can you perhaps explain how banning them will help???

Can you explain how making it difficult for law abiding citizens to buy a firearm will stop a criminal from illegally doing so?

And finally,as to it 'only banning some guns', do you favor restricting free speech in the same manner???
I favor restricting hate speech, yes.

Reason being, people like McVeigh listen to it and do messed up things, people like Gordan Liddy shouldnt be telling others to shoot federal agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections