Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Gay Marriage is a CIVIL RIGHTS discrimination issue, and an infringement on their rights -- of Freedom of Religion.

Everyone in this thread fail to realize the government is by the people for the people and nothing gets passed without Congress Okay'ing it.

There is NO super-majority... this isn't going to pass, and even if it did so what..IF it passed, then it is the PEOPLES will that it does. We don't need a abunch of wing-nuts running around declaring war on the government brandishing fully automatic weapons and planning terrorist attacks while high on a gordan liddy hate-speech radio show, telling people to kill federal agents. And we also dont need gangs and drug dealers having them either, end of story.
Examine things a bit more closely. If marriage is a right then you don't want the government involved. I don't want the government involved in the marriage bussiness at all. A marriage license grants a privilege, by definition, not a right.

Now let's get off that topic in this thread.

Remember the vast majority of Americans opposed the bailout bill? Congress ignored our messages, even restricting phone calls and emails to ignore us, and passed it anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM

972 posts, read 1,325,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
To address two statements you made. One, concerning your father: a person intent on killing someone (murder is very illegal) will not be stopped by a law against owning a particular weapon. The FBI studied the original AWB and concluded it did nothing to lower crime. I linked to an article earlier pointing this out, which you have seen fit to entirely ignore. Banning those weapons, however, may make others defenseless victims of criminals.

Second, OKC was not done with a weapon banned by the AWB and obviously the original AWB did nothing to stop that, did it? It probably contributed to his desire to do what he did, the government trashing people's rights.
I posted a few pages back that mcviegh did what he did because of people like ya'll up in the woods crying like baby's over not being able to own your full on assault weapons and declaring war on our gov.

Birds of a feather.

You guys still have your guns. I do not see a problem with protecting women, children and everyone from domestic terrorist, militia's that have gone rogue and drug dealers and whoever that might use these weapons against the people or government.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Examine things a bit more closely. If marriage is a right then you don't want the government involved. I don't want the government involved in the marriage bussiness at all. A marriage license grants a privilege, by definition, not a right.

Now let's get off that topic in this thread.

Remember the vast majority of Americans opposed the bailout bill? Congress ignored our messages, even restricting phone calls and emails to ignore us, and passed it anyways.

Now who is OT?? Bail-out?? Nah I think they were for it because nobody gives a rat ass about anything untill they cant go shopping anymore. Kinda like you guys and your guns, youre unhappy you might not be able to buy a new toy.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Quote:
I posted a few pages back that mcviegh did what he did because of people like ya'll up in the woods crying like baby's over not being able to own your full on assault weapons and declaring war on our gov.

Birds of a feather.

You guys still have your guns. I do not see a problem with protecting women, children and everyone from domestic terrorist, militia's that have gone rogue and drug dealers and whoever that might use these weapons against the people or government.
What exactly are you expecting to accomplish with a gun ban? Do you believe the FBI when they say, after studying it for years, that it had no effect on crime?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,517,939 times
It's not so much about not being able to buy a new gun. Its about allowing the restrictions.

You allow them to take away one right, and it opens the door for the next.

Where are you going to be when they are after your right to insult us, defending their want to silence you?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Congress can do whatever they want with out listening to the people. Its happened before.

No, we don't need people with fully automatic weapons and planning terrorist attacks - the AWB does not cover that stuff anyway - so whats the point.

Gangs and drug dealers aren't going to listen to an AWB either. I mean, drugs are outlawed yet they deal them anyway don't they?
My father was killed with a legal automatic weapon by a first time offender.
He was a police officer and he was out gun powered in that fight.

Don't tell me that this law wont potentially save lives. total rubbish.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,790,837 times
Quote:
There is NO super-majority... this isn't going to pass, and even if it did so what..IF it passed, then it is the PEOPLES will that it does.
You believe in mob rule....
Quote:
We don't need a abunch of wing-nuts running around declaring war on the government brandishing fully automatic weapons
This has nothing to do with automatic weapons,you are ignorant of the topic if you still continue to believe this.

Quote:
And we also dont need gangs and drug dealers having them either, end of story.
How would this law stop criminals from having firearms?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
Quote:
If you voted no you would be the RARE one in this issue-- which I am sure you are aware of. I live in the reddest state in the nation, and I know how MOST like I said in my post MOST.. think.

Now what about BUSH?? Are you upset about all the rights he took away?
Yes I am.Which is why I voted Libertarian party this time for the first time.Just because you feel wronged,don't try to seek to wrong others based on assumption though.There are many Democrats that own those guns on the list to be banned.By supporting that ban you aren't getting revenge on who you assume is a neo con,you are just screwing Americans in general.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,920,204 times
Quote:

That is terrible about your father, and I'm sure that he did the community a ton of good by serving in law enforcement, but in light of what was said by the previous poster, where do you stop taking rights away? Do you think that no first time driver ever got in a car and caused a fatal accident?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,790,837 times
Quote:

An automatic weapon?
This should have been in the news as it is so rare....

Any links?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections