Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,236,748 times

Advertisements

Tell you what. Before the government comes and confiscates all of those old useless assault weapons you have laying around your bunker, donate them to artist Al Farrow. He makes some pretty interesting stuff out of old guns and bullets. Today I saw a particularly interesting cathedral he did - The Spine and Tooth of Santo Guerro - but it retails for $150,000. On the other hand, he does make vibrators out of large-caliber bullets that you can get for a mere $600 (although I'd check the warranty on those).

Al Farrow (http://www.alfarrow.com/pages/listing_al.php?catlist=Reliquaries - broken link)
http://www.cclarkgallery.com/Price_List_Farrow_solo_exhibition%202007.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 PM

109 posts, read 171,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This stuff is why young people are so ignorant.
The ignorance will die with the old Republicans...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,289,775 times
Gun owners: Round One was the AWB. They want us gun owners to argue that assault rifles are no more dangerous than regular rifles. They will come back with Round Two: "Even the gun owners admit that all guns are equally dangerous". Then they can go after them all.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
The gun dealers are the ones making all of the 'sky is falling' posts . . .
I agree and it's fun to watch the results! Wish I owned a gun shop ...I could retire in a week....but first I'd post all over the place about how "the Democrats will take your guns! BUY NOW!"
And then start reeling in the fish!

""""Hahahaha!!!!

Boy! They fell for it!

And the gun store owners, who helped spread the fear along with gun manufacturers, are REAPING THE BENEFITS!!!!!!
Can gun buyers speak or do they just BAAAAAA!!!!????

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM

973 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Once again let me explain:
My father was a police officer, he died by a murdering person with a gun.

I lost family -- A BABY---in the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Measures have to be taken to prevent domestic terrorism and crime.

You may not like it, but I ALSO dont like that Bush shredded our constitution and rights to 'protect us' but ya'll tell me that's okay on one hand, while on the other youre pissy you cant own a fully automatic assualt rifle or some crazy thing *&*(. I say youre being crybabies and dont care about anyone but yourself.
You're obviously personally traumatized that guns exist in the real world. I'm sorry you've had to feel the effects, but there's a simple fact that in the real world, legal law-abiding citizens owning guns prevents more crime than if they did not have the right to defend themselves with proper guns.

You're also assuming that "we're pissy because we can't own fully automatic assault rifle." That's not true, as fully automatic weapons of any kind have been banned for 75 years! We're not asking for anything we can't currently go buy today, and we're not asking for fully automatic weapons! We *do* want to keep laws on which guns are legal exactly as they are today, not continue down a path of restrictions to the point where we have no reasonable way of self defense. It's already been proven over a 10 year period that Clinton's bad did nothing to reduce crime because semi-automatic "assault" rifles are very rarely used in crime (less than 2%), and there are only a handful of cases where one was purchased legally and used in a crime.

You're also assuming that gun rights advocates are conservatives. This also isn't true. I can't stand what Bush has done to this country with draconian surveillance laws, and most Libertarian-leaning Independents and many Republicans also feel the same way. I know plenty of die-hard Democrats who are strongly pro-gun rights - think of the blue collar union demographic.

Just because you and a very vocal group of gun control advocates don't like them doesn't take away from the fact that guns in the hands of good people do not cause crime - they PREVENT crime far more crime than they cause. Most legal gun owners are not criminals and would never use their gun to commit a crime. Criminals, who get plenty of illegal fully-automatic weapons on the black market, will ALWAYS get them, and they would prefer that civilians don't own guns - it reduces the chance of them getting shot while committing a crime. Remember, the police rarely arrive in time to prevent or catch a crime in progress. They usually only arrive in time to clean up the bodies of innocents who didn't defend themselves.

Criminals will get guns even if we ban everyone from having them. England and Australia are perfect examples of gun control causing crime to INCREASE. As for calling us "crybabies who only care about ourself," tell that to this woman:

YouTube - Armed Citizens: Calling 911 Doesn't Always Work
This is an event that happens on a DAILY basis in this country, but you rarely ever hear the media report about guns being used to PREVENT crime because it's not sensational to say a criminal died.. only innocents, like your father and family's baby.

In fact, tell it to everyone who's about to be beaten, raped, or killed because YOU don't want them to have a proper means of defense. And yes, a semi-automatic rifle is a perfectly reasonable mean of defense. Functionally, there is no difference between a semi-automatic "hunting" rifle designed for a .223 round and a semi-automatic "military" rifle designed for a .223 round. A semi-automatic "military" rifle is NOT a fully-automatic "assault" weapon designed for the battlefield. There's a significant difference in function and capability. Aesthetics and appearance don't define the difference. People like you just choose to be ignorant to the facts to take away rights from law-abiding citizens to defend themselves.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Actually it's rather spontaneous a reaction, nationwide: Fears of a Dem crackdown lead to boom in gun sales - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_re_us/obama_gun_sales - broken link)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
And explain to me why most of you so worried about your 'rights', yet most of you try to tell Gay People they can not marry, wouldn't vote for Obama because he is half Black, and try to tell a woman what to do with HER body, and voted for Bush who shredded our constitution, and went for another round by voting for that neo-con McCain-- who is friends with Liddy that tells people to shoot to kill federal agents ... hypocrites.
There are plenty of Democrats/liberals who believe in pro-gun rights. This is an issue that is not strictly conservative-vs-liberal. Also, there are many Independents, including myself, who don't care what someone does with regard to their choices in life. I don't care if gays want to get married - that's their choice, and I support any laws that take the religious aspect out of government. I don't care if a woman has an abortion. In my view, that's her choice - the first three months, there is no chance for survival outside her body, so I don't feel she should be forced to carry through with the next 9 months if she doesn't want to. I do agree with a ban on late-term abortions, as there are plenty of pre-mature babies born that can survive outside a woman's body.

With regards to gun control, I'm strongly against further restrictions on how we choose to defend our property and lives. The laws that ban fully-automatics, sound suppressors (silencers), and explosive devices are sufficient today. Most citizens who walk into a gun shop to purchase a firearm are not criminals nor killers. They are target shooters, hunters, and people who wish to defend their lives. However, I do support better registration and tracking of firearms so that we know they don't disappear into criminal hands. Owning a gun should be like owning a car - proper registration for each transfer, and full responsibility for the use of that gun while it is registered to you, regardless of if you pulled the trigger.

Don't make gun rights advocates out to be supporting killers and anarchists when you're choosing to impose your view on the world on others. A gun right advocate is NOT a conservative. There's a significant difference. You're sticking yourself in the same hypocritical group as right-wing religious fanatics you seem to despise. "I don't like this aspect of our culture, so I want it banned!"

Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Actually it's rather spontaneous a reaction, nationwide: Fears of a Dem crackdown lead to boom in gun sales - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_re_us/obama_gun_sales - broken link)
SO? What ? You think Obama started this ....or could you possibly consider that this just may be manufactured by GUN manufacturers and gun shop owners????

Do any of you "Guns are God" people ever think deeper than a bumper sticker???

Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
SO? What ? You think Obama started this ....or could you possibly consider that this just may be manufactured by GUN manufacturers and gun shop owners????

Do any of you "Guns are God" people ever think deeper than a bumper sticker???
The obomination started it with his own statements saying he wants a major gun ban passed, etc. Funny how the gun grabbers' intentions always misfire and actually cause a surge in gun sales.

As to your second statement, "Did Blacks ever think deeper than the front seat of the bus?" Same idea.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
My father was killed with a legal automatic weapon by a first time offender.
He was a police officer and he was out gun powered in that fight.

Don't tell me that this law wont potentially save lives. total rubbish.
Now you're telling a pure LIE. Tell us the exact case of your father dying to "legal automatic weapon by a first time defender." Perhaps you mean semi-automatic, but guess what, that's totally different than fully-automatic. 80% of the guns in this country are semi-automatic. A double-action revolver (most today are) function exactly the same as a semi-automatic weapon - each time you pull the trigger, one bullet fires. Fully-automatic weapons continue to fire bullets as long as the trigger is held, and criminals can't get them legally!

A fully-automatic weapon requires a VERY difficult to acquire Class III license. It's also a fact, stated by the FBI in their 1994 AWB statement that it did nothing to prevent crime, that NO Class III weapon that was legally purchased has been used in a crime by the owner for 50+ years. These licenses are so difficult to get, and the weapons so expensive to purchase legally, that they're kept in safes and very carefully monitored. You are obviously biased against guns due to personal reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that banning semi-automatic weapons does NOTHING to prevent crime. It only punishes the millions of legal citizens who own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections