Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahJohnson View Post
I'm a dem and a hunter. I have never needed a semi-auto assault rifle to go out there and provide for my family. And yes, to the too far-lefters, some of us still hunt for just that reason. It's cheaper, way healthier, and much fairer than a slaughter house. In addition to never having used an assault rifle, I have NEVER SEEN ANY other hunter out there using one in all my years. If you can't get it done on the first shot, you shouldn't be out there anyways. That's just boys getting in the way of men. Maybe some of those people really do hunt with them, I don't know. My problem is that it leaves the door open for extremists and gang-bangers, and all the other people who shouldn't own a gun at all to have one. Should semi-auto assault weapons be banned, absolutely. Guns aren't toys or trophies, they're tools designed for one purpose.
The Second Amendment doesn't mention hunting. Has it changed? The SCOTUS stated all arms in common use are protected by it...and it's about protecting against government tyranny not hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
More proof that you have no idea what this proposed ban does. Semi-automatics only fire 1 bullet per trigger pull, just like most revolvers. If your dad was hit with 30 rounds from "more than single trigger shot," it was NOT a semi-automatic weapon. It was a fully-automatic weapon, which has been banned since 1934! Please, educate yourself a little more on the issue if you wish to impose your views on millions of people.
So what was the gun that that Dad murdered his eight year old son with at the gun show? You know, where the dad just handed the kid a gun to play with....what kind was that? I heard it fired off MANY bullets. I may be wrong, I don't need to know about that crap, I have guns that no one has ever tried to take away and they fire deadly bullets.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Omg.. ya'll can still shoot ****, you could shoot **** when the ban was in place, no one is coming around to take your guns you do own, and if this gets put on the table, you will have plenty of time to buy a new toy. I cant sit here and rehash painful things to people who dont care about anyone but their own self.

if what you say is true, then there would no reason at all for any type of paperwork that goes along with buying a firearm, no form 4473 nor any type of nics check either. what you say is comepletely wrong, the federal goverment keeps all paperwork so if a ban does come down, they have ready records of everyone that has bought a firearm in the past.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So what was the gun that that Dad murdered his eight year old son with at the gun show? You know, where the dad just handed the kid a gun to play with....what kind was that? I heard it fired off MANY bullets. I may be wrong, I don't need to know about that crap, I have guns that no one has ever tried to take away and they fire deadly bullets.
That was a fully automatic machine gun, not a semi-auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If you believe that, are you interested in buying some swampland?
Believe what? That no one has tried to take away my guns? They haven't.

Or that gun manufacturers are making money with the run on guns?

Aren't they? Or are they giving them away???????

Quote:

1 pull of the trigger 1 bullet fired, not 1 trigger pull and empty the magazine. if the weapon fired was a fully automatic firearm, then 1 pull of the trigger was all that was needed to empty the magazine.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That was a fully automatic machine gun, not a semi-auto.
I thought someone just said they'd been banned since 1934????

Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM

973 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
But it isnt easy for city people.
LOL! It isn't easy for city people to obtain an illegal firearm, or a fully-automatic one that has been banned for 75 years? Tell that to my family member who was a NARC for 25 years. You get to know how crime works quite well when you're on the INSIDE. You can walk to any street corner in a no-so-nice part of town, offer someone cash for information to get illegal fully-automatic weapons - someone will call you to meet up for a black market gun deal. It happens DAILY. A gun ban on semi-automatics doesn't prevent this from happening AT ALL.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 PM

when the crooks are in your home and you are defenseless and seconds count, and the cops are minutes away.

do you really want to be unarmed and defenseless?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I thought someone just said they'd been banned since 1934????
The 1934 NFA was a defacto ban because the tax it placed on the weapons it regulated was more than most made in a year. They were fully banned in 1986 but a grandfather clause was barely added for any registered before then (still subject to a $200 tax, registration that must be approved and includes fingerprinting, quite complex). Still, thompsons are selling for around 20 to 30 thousand each or maybe more now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections