Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

"Instead of the glock consider an HK or a SIG. How many glocks do you see used by the pro's in competition?"

I know quite a few people who shoot Glocks in competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times
Quote:
For all the worst case scenarios, the person who is going to most likely put your life in peril is a drunken friend or a pissed off relative.

I have more fear of the federal goverment than i do of any crook or felon. at least if a crook gets caught he can go to jail. but if an agent of the federal goverment kills an innocent person while in the line of duty, he gets nothing at all. when he should be strung up on a oak tree.

I fear the jackbooted thugs of the goverment more than any criminal.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,899,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have more fear of the federal goverment than i do of any crook or felon. at least if a crook gets caught he can go to jail. but if an agent of the federal goverment kills an innocent person while in the line of duty, he gets nothing at all. when he should be strung up on a oak tree.

I fear the jackbooted thugs of the goverment more than any criminal.
Hmmmm, I don't know quite what to say to all that.

Frankly, on a day to day basis, I don't have much fear of either, but if I were to layout a threat level grid starting with the highest probability to the lowest it would look something like this.

1. Some drunk or drugged up guy with a bit too much testosterone, little self esteem, and a nasty temper.

2. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time (see cop killed Dunkin Donuts robbery)

3. being hit while ridding my bike.

4. drowned while fishing

5. Cancer

6. Liver failure

7. Carrying an iPod while black in front of a jittery local cop.

8. being hit by lightening

9. A Federal warrant search where someone typed in the wrong address.

10. Living under a neo-fascist regime (that is a recent downgrade).

Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 AM

542 posts, read 1,520,370 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, I don't know quite what to say to all that.

Frankly, on a day to day basis, I don't have much fear of either, but if I were to layout a threat level grid starting with the highest probability to the lowest it would look something like this.

1. Some drunk or drugged up guy with a bit too much testosterone, little self esteem, and a nasty temper.

2. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time (see cop killed Dunkin Donuts robbery)

3. being hit while ridding my bike.

4. drowned while fishing

5. Cancer

6. Liver failure

7. Carrying an iPod while black in front of a jittery local cop.

8. being hit by lightening

9. A Federal warrant search where someone typed in the wrong address.

10. Living under a neo-fascist regime (that is a recent downgrade).
I am more concerned about something happening on my drive to work than from any random act of violence. Thank you ovcatto for thinking like a reasonable person.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,138,439 times
Oh great,someone drug this thread up again.

I just don't get the obsession some have w/ guns. Besides the obvious: guns are made for one reason,TO KILL. I have nothing against hunting for food, but what is the excuse for the rest of the gun nuts? Paranoia that "the bad guys" are going to get them,therefore they need an arsenol of oozies in their bunkers?

Now that John Lennon song is gonna be stuck in my head, "Happiness is a warm gun --- bang bang shoot shoot" !

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 AM

36,819 posts, read 18,729,643 times
KsStorm, if you saw my earlier post you saw that I hunted for over forty years and gave it up, but I still enjoy shooting.

Plinking is a way to get your mind off the real world for a while. Shooting targets requires concentration that blots other things from your mind. I find that if I am wrestling with a question and trying to make a difficult decision the answer sometimes appears when I quit thinking about it directly. Time at the range allows me to refocus.

I have also used music (I play banjo and guitar and write), cutting grass ( I used to cut four acres with a push mower), splitting firewood, and fly tying to accomplish this.

Maybe not a complete answer for you, but one scenario. I have no desire any more to kill anything unless it attacks me. I don't understand anyone wanting to own an Uzi any more than they probably understand my love of muzzleloading rifles. It's not something you have to understand. It is just the difference in people's interests.

The whole problem can be reduced to one word: "Responsibility".

It doesn't matter to me if my neighbor keeps a rhinocerous in his backyard as long as he takes care that it doesn't become a nuisance. The same applies to guns. It doesn't matter what kind or how many guns someone owns, but it is essential that the owner take responsibility for their safe use and control. Idiots are idiots regardless of what they are holding in their hands.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post

I just don't get the obsession some have w/ guns. Besides the obvious: guns are made for one reason,TO KILL. I have nothing against hunting for food, but what is the excuse for the rest of the gun nuts? Paranoia that "the bad guys" are going to get them,therefore they need an arsenol of oozies in their bunkers?

Now that John Lennon song is gonna be stuck in my head, "Happiness is a warm gun --- bang bang shoot shoot" !
"Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually" -George Mason, 1788

"A militia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves... and include all men capable of bearing arms. . . To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms... The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle." -Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" -Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"Every communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party. Yet, having guns, we can create Party organizations, as witness the powerful Party organizations which the Eighth Route Army has created in northern China. We can also create cadres, create schools, create culture, create mass movements. Everything in Yenan has been created by having guns. All things grow out of the barrel of a gun." -Mao Zedong

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." -Heinrich Himmler, head of Nazi SS

The purpose of the Second Amendment is to protect our freedom. A government is more likely to become tyrannical when it knows the people can do little to nothing to resist it. Tyrants have always wanted those under them to be disarmed for that reason.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you do understand that liberals wanting to outlaw firearms that are cheap and unavailable to minorities and the poor can be considered jim crow laws.

saturday night sp[ecials all fall into that category.
The term "saturday night special" itself is racist in origins.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM

34,107 posts, read 18,350,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Nobody is forcing you to read or respond to this thread.

Quote:
Why is it an obsession to want to own a gun to defend yourself and your family? Why are we "gun nuts". The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, its about self defense and protecting oneself form a tyrannical government. Have you read the DC vs Heller Supreme Court decision?

If you want to live in a Nanny state, fine, but remember the cops come only after you've been murdered, raped or robbed, not before.
[/quote]

Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
As long as it p*sses of the conservatives, I am all for it.
I don't even own a gun, but you need to read the second amendment. But if you are too lazy to look it up, see below.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections