Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,909,174 times

Advertisements

When I watch left media, read publications, movie stars hating on the right, MTV and so on.........(You all get the idea) I cringe with anger at their spewing of baseless leftist propaganda. However, I recognize their 1st amendment rights and have always supported this right no matter how much I disagree.

Today on CNN, their guest said Obama will absolutely shut down right wing radio in American. How in God's name can he F-ing do this in the United states of America? The guest also said the supreme court would likely throw out such an act when challenged, but that would take 2-years. Obama does not care, he wants the first 2-years of his presidency to go unchecked, unchallenged, without right-wing criticism.

This is the way of numerous communist countries people. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit? Obama supporters, the way I see it, there is no excuse you can really give. I know you will come on here stating how much you hate right-wing radio and so on, but come on, be realistic. This is just not right!

The guest on CNN (missed his name) said it is well know within the Obama camp, this will be one of his very first agendas. Shut them down and shut them up, is basically what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,192,297 times
Liberals say they are for free speech, but are only for it when it agrees with them.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,187,744 times
When has Obama said that? Do you have a link?

People on CNN said last week that McCain was going to win in a landslide. Saying it doesn't make it so.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,824,890 times
I've never heard anyone (except right wing loonies) say that "Obama is going to shut down right wing radio". The funny thing is that "terrestrial" radio, while still the biggest dog on the block, is being overtaken by XM radio and the internet. On the internet the progressives rule the roost. Right wing talk is about the host talking, progressive radio, blogs and other internet outlets are about BOTH SIDES TALKING.

The fairness doctrine was probably not a good idea when it was in force anyway, I have no problem with leaving things as they are in that regard. However, I do think the "ownership rules" (how many of which type of outlet you can own, in a particular market, and overall) needs to be looked at, and probably changed. It's time to bring "real competition" back to media ownership.

golfgod

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,576,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
When I watch left media, read publications, movie stars hating on the right, MTV and so on.........(You all get the idea) I cringe with anger at their spewing of baseless leftist propaganda. However, I recognize their 1st amendment rights and have always supported this right no matter how much I disagree.
Your post is a perfect example of why the Fairness Doctrine was useful in the past and can be in the future. Each time that you use "left" in your post above, replace it with "right." To ignore Fox News and radio hosts such as Rush Limbaugh, when you speak of propaganda, illustrates your obvious bias, which I am willing to be you adopted from your chronic exposure to Fox News and other hate-spewing right wing "journalists."

All the Fairness Doctrine would do, as it did in the past, is demand that "Fair and Balanced" be more than a fairytale catch phrase.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

Today on CNN, their guest said Obama will absolutely shut down right wing radio in American. How in God's name can he F-ing do this in the United states of America? The guest also said the supreme court would likely throw out such an act when challenged, but that would take 2-years. Obama does not care, he wants the first 2-years of his presidency to go unchecked, unchallenged, without right-wing criticism.

This is the way of numerous communist countries people. Doesn't that scare you in the least bit? Obama supporters, the way I see it, there is no excuse you can really give. I know you will come on here stating how much you hate right-wing radio and so on, but come on, be realistic. This is just not right!

The guest on CNN (missed his name) said it is well know within the Obama camp, this will be one of his very first agendas. Shut them down and shut them up, is basically what he said.
You spend time watching and listening to propaganda but you dont spend three minutes to look up information that's right at your fingertips and free.
Obama's press secretary, Michael Ortiz, told B&C that Obama "considers this debate to be a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible." Obama is more concerned about achieving diversity through "media-ownership caps, network neutrality, public broadcasting, as well as increasing minority ownership of broadcasting and print outlets."
Obama Says No To Fairness Doctrine

Obama Does Not Support Return of Fairness Doctrine - 6/25/2008 6:25:00 PM - Broadcasting & Cable

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 PM

714 posts, read 1,534,267 times
Why would Obama even try to pull this one out? Hell he'd have to shut down all of the bias media that got him elected....You think Sean and Rush would sit back and say hmmm ok...hell no.

And don't listen to the Left....They would lose that "white" vote that they manage to get if they even tried something like that...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,034,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Why would Obama even try to pull this one out? Hell he'd have to shut down all of the bias media that got him elected....You think Sean and Rush would sit back and say hmmm ok...hell no.

And don't listen to the Left....They would lose that "white" vote that they manage to get if they even tried something like that...
More to the point, the Fairness Doctrine is unconstitutional.
Obama's press secretary, Michael Ortiz, told B&C that Obama "considers this debate to be a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible." Obama is more concerned about achieving diversity through "media-ownership caps, network neutrality, public broadcasting, as well as increasing minority ownership of broadcasting and print outlets."
- link in above post
Tyranny of the Media: Will New FCC Regs Enforce Majority Rule? - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog

News in the Hands of Too Few? - US News and World Report

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,109,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You spend time watching and listening to propaganda but you dont spend three minutes to look up information that's right at your fingertips and free.
Obama Says No To Fairness Doctrine

Obama Does Not Support Return of Fairness Doctrine - 6/25/2008 6:25:00 PM - Broadcasting & Cable
Quote:
I'm supporting what is called net neutrality
Network Neutrality | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

Net Neutrality is a sham perpetrated by the "victims" of the "Drive by media" hacks. You know who they are. They're trying to whip their listeners who are too stupid to do a simple google search into a frenzy. It's working.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,487,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Your post is a perfect example of why the Fairness Doctrine was useful in the past and can be in the future. Each time that you use "left" in your post above, replace it with "right." To ignore Fox News and radio hosts such as Rush Limbaugh, when you speak of propaganda, illustrates your obvious bias, which I am willing to be you adopted from your chronic exposure to Fox News and other hate-spewing right wing "journalists."

All the Fairness Doctrine would do, as it did in the past, is demand that "Fair and Balanced" be more than a fairytale catch phrase.
So for every Limbaugh we get an Obermann, Mathewes, Okra or Frankin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections