Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,071,090 times

Advertisements

Booooo! I want them to adopt a Greyhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,611,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Check out ole Hercules here, hahahahaha. He was adopted at a Bulldog Rescue in Chicago:

Adopted English Bulldog: Hercules: Petfinder
I know that dog needs to lose weight for its health....but is their anything cuter then a fat bulldog?
I hope they go this route, but please don't let them get a yappy purse dog

Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,938,398 times
He just said that one daughter is allergic, but they prefer to try and get a shelter dog...the problem with that is that they arent good for people with allergies because many of them are mutts "much like me"

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,969,575 times
Uh-oh, he just backed away from adopting. He said they'd prefer to do it but they need a hypo-allergenic breed because of Malia's allergies and shelter dogs are "mutts like me."

Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 PM

714 posts, read 1,535,290 times
Which is an excuse! There are plenty of rescue breed organizations!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:16 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,611,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Absolutely! Not to mention that many local humane societies do have pure breds as well as mutts! The only difference is that they are sterilized and often do not have papers.
UGH! Well, if they do go with a pure bred everyone better start donating more $$ to their humane societies, as there will be more rescued animals from the puppy mills that will spring up in order to capatilize on the Obamas choice.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,238,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
That is true and you can find some purebreds in shelters. But for a first time dog owner family, a rescue might not be the best choice. Rescues often come with issues stemming from poor treatment and are better off with experienced owners who will understand what the dog needs. They would be better off with a dog from a good source who has been well socialized and with some training lessons - no puppy mills.

If they bathe the dog regularly, the allergies can be reduced.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,969,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I know that dog needs to lose weight for its health....but is their anything cuter then a fat bulldog?
I hope they go this route, but please don't let them get a yappy purse dog
LOL, no, there is NOTHING cuter than a fat bulldog, hahahahaha. We rescued an adult bulldog many years ago. I gave him the dignified name of Chaucer but my son insisted on calling him "Chubs."

I tried everything to keep that dog fit but he wasn't having any of it. He flat-out wouldn't eat the diet dog food I bought him -- to the point where he would get head tremors from not eating! I had to break down and buy him regular food. Exercise???? Nope!!! I tried taking him for walks and he would walk to the end of the driveway then lay down and CRY like a baby when I tried to urge him on. The neighbors found it hysterically funny!

Ah, well, "Chubs" enjoyed food and attention and the couch potato life in general. He was a stitch! RIP Chaucer!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I bet they get a poodle.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,944,769 times
I think it's fun to talk about the white house dog. There's just been so much bad news lately, this is something people can enjoy regardless of party.

Look, he wants to adopt but I don't expect the man to be as informed as some of us about breed rescue, etc. It's going to take some rescue groups who have a labradoodle puppy - and there will be some somewhere - to step up and somehow let them know that they can adopt AND get a specific breed. I mean I adopted a shih tzu 12 years ago and so did my parents, and both dogs were from the local shelter. I'm sure it will all work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections