Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who decides what qualifies as community service? For example if Dave smith wants to help the minute man group would that count? To me it should. Patroling and working against illegal immigration is a community service.
We have programs like river watch. They clean up garbage along the river bank take samples of the water etc. Another good community service.
I am asking because too often someone else gets to decide what community service actually is and then they provide a list of what they feel is acceptable.
I don't know, but any work is better than no work at all, and any work at all is bound not only to help others at least a little, but set a good example for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
This has got to be the most desperate thing I've read in a long time. YOU may very well be that partisan but the rest of us are healthy enough not to be.
I'm healthy enough to not be living 8 months in the past. (I'm assuming you mean mentally healthy?)

I'm also mentally healthy enough, and motivated enough to work from home so I don't have to simply complain that things aren't going my way or my children's way financially. Are you?

Oh, hey. Weren't you saying something about insulting comments (excuse me, "crap") a minute ago? You are frequently very, VERY insulting, teatime. I am trying HARD to answer you with calmness rather than the panic you're displaying here. Please afford me the same.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm healthy enough to not be living 8 months in the past. (I'm assuming you mean mentally healthy?)

I'm also mentally healthy enough, and motivated enough to work from home so I don't have to simply complain that things aren't going my way or my children's way financially. Are you?

Oh, hey. Weren't you saying something about insulting comments (excuse me, "crap") a minute ago?
You actually accused me of putting a presidential candidate before my own child. That is THE most ridiculous and despicable thing I've read here.

And to directly answer your question, NO, I don't have the physical or mental ability to become an "at-home lobbyist." I have a severe form of Systemic Lupus Erythmatosus with heart, brain, and kidney involvement along with crippling arthritis and severe osteoporosis. I suppose this will give you further ammunition for more despicable comments but WHATEVER!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You actually accused me of putting a presidential candidate before my own child. That is THE most ridiculous and despicable thing I've read here.

And to directly answer your question, NO, I don't have the physical or mental ability to become an "at-home lobbyist." I have a severe form of Systemic Lupus Erythmatosus with heart, brain, and kidney involvement along with crippling arthritis and severe osteoporosis. I suppose this will give you further ammunition for more despicable comments but WHATEVER!
No. I wouldn't use lupus as "ammunition". I won't be drawn into your statements about my "accusing" you. You will do what you do, per your capabilities, based on your own choices. As for accusations, you've stated here that I'm apparently not mentally healthy, that my friends are tools and that I spout crap. But I won't be drawn into this; you will make your decisions, or you will complain; that's your choice. I just hope you don't expect that complaining on the computer rather than writing to people who can make changes using a computer, will change anything. I mean if this is your choice, what on earth can I say? We're all free agents.

Last edited by JerZ; 11-07-2008 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Edited to be less emotional and state things logically.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sounds an awful lot like communism. Forced government labor, even child labor?

Welcome to the Fascist state.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until his 8 years are up. We will be begging to live in the country of China that he loves so much.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who decides what qualifies as community service? For example if Dave smith wants to help the minute man group would that count? To me it should. Patroling and working against illegal immigration is a community service.
We have programs like river watch. They clean up garbage along the river bank take samples of the water etc. Another good community service.
I am asking because too often someone else gets to decide what community service actually is and then they provide a list of what they feel is acceptable.
Key question. And a good one. As I keep saying:

Government
Mandate

Government
Mandate

Two words that DO NOT belong in the same sentence.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, it's not a sizable dent. The other $15,000 means they are still going to have to work, now doesn't it? Plus do community service on top of it.
And receive a sizable credit that far exceeds what you claim they're getting paid now for far less work and the opportunity to become involved in a positive way within the community. Do the math.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Thanks rich people..You too kids can become wealthy and support people who aren't even in your family before you are able to support your family....and the more of them that want your money the more of them that are welcome to take it. Of course it's in the name of social justice.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-07-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2008, 06:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If they got credit for it.. why not?
Because people are busy enough trying to meet the endless requirements to graduate that have been added over the years.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM

289 posts, read 361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If they got credit for it.. why not? Getting involved in your community can be a good thing, you learn to respect it (more).

Dunno about seniors though...
Did Obama not mention this in just about every one of his stump speeches. Help with the college tuition but the kids had to give back by doing what he is talking about there. I think it is a wonder idea. And those seniors that can I know will it. It will give them a sense of contributing.

I live in a very small town in Northern Canada and we tired the welfare thing. You know if your on welfare and can not get a job then the town would put you to work. It never got off the ground here People Individual Rights got in the way of it. In my opinion Welfare should only be given to those who really need it. We all know that millions milk the system each and every year. Our economy's are in real trouble and its going to take something like this to get us out of it. Do nothing and things will remain the same. I have always tried to contribute my spare time volunteering at Young Centers, Hospitals or Senior Centers in my community. It makes you feel good to give back or give to someone that needs your assistance.

If we instill this in the young people think of what that will do for all Communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections