Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Hmmm, increased volunteers or new paid jobs?
Volunterism=Charity right? Charity usually= Religion or Religious organizations right?
Where's the ACLU and the usual liberals? Why don't we hear the screams of
SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE! SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE! I mean heck, if it can't be on our money or in the oath of office or pledge?
Could it be because his highness is suggesting this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,955,918 times
High school students in our area already do community service as part of certain degree programs. It helps them on their college applications or they earn credit for it. Some go on mission trips over the summer to different countries to build or rebuild while others work a few hours a week in town.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,920,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
High school students in our area already do community service as part of certain degree programs. It helps them on their college applications or they earn credit for it. Some go on mission trips over the summer to different countries to build or rebuild while others work a few hours a week in town.
Why, does Congress want to "find out" whether it's feasible to force all Americans to serve the government? ? ? ? ?

Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Why, does Congress want to "find out" whether it's feasible to force all Americans to serve the government? ? ? ? ?
Yeah, ford forbid you be part of the community.
Might want to check out other countries that require compulsory support of the country. Mandatory Public Service?
Austria, Greece, Singapore, Brazil, Israel, South Korea, Bulgaria, Lebanon, Sweden, China, Malaysia, Switzerland, Croatia, Norway, Taiwan, Eritrea, Poland, Turkey, Finland, Romania, Venezuela, Germany, Russia

COLLEGE BOUND / A weekly guide to higher education From December 2006: Many high schools, public and private, require volunteerism for graduation, and in my practice, I've seen students undertake a variety of assignments ranging from working at homeless shelters to digging irrigation ditches on other continents. With some exceptions, most students volunteer only because they know it is impressive on college admission applications.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,037,574 times
I don't need the government to tell me to be part of my community, or decide how my time is best used, or which organizations are worthy enough to be included some approved list of organizations for which my service will 'count'.

It's no big secret that conservatives donate more time and resources to charity and community service than their liberal counterparts, even when it comes down to blood donation. Perhaps the reason Obama feels this should be mandated is because he hangs out with a bunch of stingy liberals (like Joe Biden) and doesn't realize many of the rest of us are already doing out of compassion what he thinks should be coerced by government. How many times do I have to say it....government is not the answer, people are.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:27 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,920,567 times
Default Yeah, ford forbid you be part of the community

We did away with the draft - even though it is constitutionally legal.

In all other matter of service to community, it is up to We The People to decide - not our elected representatives.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I don't need the government to tell me to be part of my community, or decide how my time is best used, or which organizations are worthy enough to be included some approved list of organizations for which my service will 'count'.

It's no big secret that conservatives donate more time and resources to charity and community service than their liberal counterparts, even when it comes down to blood donation. Perhaps the reason Obama feels this should be mandated is because he hangs out with a bunch of stingy liberals (like Joe Biden) and doesn't realize many of the rest of us are already doing out of compassion what he thinks should be coerced by government. How many times do I have to say it....government is not the answer, people are.
So, you're in high school or college? Interesting.
Got a link where your "no big secret" can be viewed by others?
Yeah, yeah, compassionate conservatives; like the one who just left office and is responsible for the deaths of 90k+ Iraqis; 4.3k military members and another 30k+ seriously wounded.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,037,574 times
Quote:
So, you're in high school or college? Interesting.
Got a link where your "no big secret" can be viewed by others?
Hasn't anyone ever told you it's not a good idea to assume?

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/46/45939.pdf

ABC News: Who Gives and Who Doesn't?

Quote:
Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household
Quote:
conservatives are 18 percent more likely to donate blood
Quote:
If liberals and moderates gave blood at the same rate as conservatives, the blood supply in the United States would jump by about 45 percent.
Quote:
"You find that people who believe it's the government's job to make incomes more equal, are far less likely to give their money away," Brooks says. In fact, people who disagree with the statement, "The government has a basic responsibility to take care of the people who can't take care of themselves," are 27 percent more likely to give to charity.
Quote:
People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,471,487 times
The way that kids are raised in liberal homes definitely has them headed toward community service........if they have a good lawyer.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, ford forbid you be part of the community.
Might want to check out other countries that require compulsory support of the country. Mandatory Public Service?
Austria, Greece, Singapore, Brazil, Israel, South Korea, Bulgaria, Lebanon, Sweden, China, Malaysia, Switzerland, Croatia, Norway, Taiwan, Eritrea, Poland, Turkey, Finland, Romania, Venezuela, Germany, Russia

COLLEGE BOUND / A weekly guide to higher education From December 2006: Many high schools, public and private, require volunteerism for graduation, and in my practice, I've seen students undertake a variety of assignments ranging from working at homeless shelters to digging irrigation ditches on other continents. With some exceptions, most students volunteer only because they know it is impressive on college admission applications.
Gee, at least one of the countries you listed the compulsory part is military service. Maybe that's a good idea here, it'd give us enough troops to give those that've served multiple tours a needed break. 1 or 2 years and out and then in the reserves until 65.
What do you think Pelosi and Obama would do if that were proposed? I'd guess they'd soil their knickers then foam at the mouth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections