Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,920,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's what you elect representatives to do.
If you object, have you contacted them with your reasoning?
Have you asked that they reconsider?
Or do you choose to take no action and whine on an internet forum where you are totally ineffective?
My "selected" official is Roland Burris. My way is more efficient and effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's what you elect representatives to do.
If you object, have you contacted them with your reasoning?
Have you asked that they reconsider?
Or do you choose to take no action and whine on an internet forum where you are totally ineffective?

I'd personally take it a step further, no government guaranteed college loans to kids who don't participate.

I see no problem with uniforms.
I wore them for 12 years, didn't hurt me. And I wore them again in the military.
School children in other countries wear them.
All private schools that I know of wear uniforms.
Some people look at them as something to be proud of; and they are significantly cheaper in the long run.
They can be a great equalizer in mixed socio-economic areas.

All of that "I'm an individual, I'm special" garbage, the "I've got mine, forget you" attitude pull people from the reality of community where we all help each other and work toward a common goal. The myth of individuality and being special is silly.

In reality, we are all interdependent.
I don't see any of us growing cotton, milling it, weaving it, dying it and designing and sewing it on our own.
Quote:
Do you grow your own vegetables and grains; do you hunt and dress your meat?Didn't think so.
Pretty much yep.
Quote:
We rely on each other for our existence.
To a point but I don't depend on you for it which is what the government is after.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,037,574 times
Look, I'm not going to hold your hand and read to you. Read the info for yourself....it's all right there, in the links (the earlier quotes are all from the articles), you just have to read.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

Study: Conservatives More Generous Than Liberals - Bright Hall

Who Really Cares • Arthur C. Brooks (http://www.arthurbrooks.net/whoreallycares/excerpt.html - broken link)

Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
How do they know?
When I contribute to whatever organization I choose to contribute to, I am never identified by my political party. How would they possibly know?
I never identify myself as "chielgirl, rabid liberal" on my check or credit card donations.
So, seriously, how do they know?
Self-identification? Then I'd have to ask who they're taking a sampling of?
Do they look at voter roles? If so, they could skew the sampling.

Are they including church contributions?
I'm just not getting this.

Seriously - also look at the bias of your links.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 PM

36,970 posts, read 18,897,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Which is different in that if you don't agree you can change schools but it's real hard to change countries.
You're preaching to the wrong man. I already said I not only agree, I believe children should be taught responsibility toward others from birth.

And Chielgirl made a good point: There should be rewards and sanctions for participating or not.

Whether you are religious or not, the Golden Rule is not a bad suggestion.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
jim, did you make your own car? Process your own gas? Make your own drywall, make your paint?
You're as interdependent as the rest of us.
You're really not that special; none of us are.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
I don't want to slog through all 300+ posts here; I just read this page. Is this proposal for mandatory community service, or is it for community service in exchange for forgiveness for student loans, or a lower rate on student loans, or what?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,188,233 times
I love how so many people here just love this idea. It's a lot more palatable to make other people do the charity work you think needs to be done.

Something tells me that if he was trying to mandate 100 hours of mandatory community service for the General Pop. there would be an uproar.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,920,567 times
Katiana, Hoarfrost - you decide what their intentions are:

H.R. 1388 (The Give Act) contains the Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act.

Two of this commissions "duties" - to "study":

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,188,233 times
I don't care what their intentions are. I'm just positive that they had better not start mandating service for some unless they're going to start mandating service for all. But at that point, it'd be sure not to pass...

I volunteer on my own time but I reject this patronization on principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections