Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,864,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Point blank, the only reason people are whining about him being mixed race is because he's the leader of the free world. There are thousands upon thousands of mixed race people all over the country who pretty much have the same skin tone as Obama, yet they'd get labeled as "that black guy" or "that black chick". The higher up on the ladder you are, the more people want to break down your racial background.
So true. Because if Barack was just some guy on the street and people knew his mother was white, he still would be considered a black guy. Only when he accomplishes something, he's labeled as "mixed race".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"He is of African ancestry and identifies as such. No matter what he looked like"

OK, then how is he not also a Muslim?
He is not a Muslim because he does not practice Islam.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,286,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
So true. Because if Barack was just some guy on the street and people knew his mother was white, he still would be considered a black guy. Only when he accomplishes something, he's labeled as "mixed race".
But as soon as Obama ****s something up as prez, he'll definitely be called "the first black president." Nobody is gonna bring up his white side then.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,587,351 times
Right now he is president elect Obama. I'm sure we will all have a clearer difinition of who he is after he takes office on 1/20/09. We can't afford a wasteful or "big government" type of guy or we'll be calling him "Porky the President."

Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,368,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post

AGREED! Hammer meets nail. Because of the raping of our enslaved ancestors, America's plantation massa's ensured that ALL OF US ARE BI-RACIAL.

This is America and the one drop rule is still on the books.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,927 times
I'm of two minds about this issue - On one hand, I believe what the geneticists have been telling us recently: that the very concept of race is of limited value, scientifically. And that humans seem all to have come from common African ancestors. And that The Reverend Dr Martin Luther King's dream spoken in August of 1963: "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." ...is as worthy as any dream human beings have had. People are just people, in other words.

On the other hand I think it's entirely right and proper than all sorts of "people of color" as well as all Americans, take note and take pride in the fact of Barack Obama's achievement - and the country's achievement. We have a very long way to go as a country - but if you, like me, remember seeing
B&W television coverage of the dogs, and the firehoses, the truncheons, and the murders which accompanied the modern Civil Rights Movement in the country, you know that we, and Barack Obama have come a long way in recent years.

So call the president-elect "African American", "Black", "mixed race", "biracial" or whatever term seems to make sense - just don't call him an ordinary president-elect. Because no matter how he handles the most difficult job imaginable, he's set a precedent for all of us.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,368,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I'm of two minds about this issue - On one hand, I believe what the geneticists have been telling us recently: that the very concept of race is of limited value, scientifically. And that humans seem all to have come from common African ancestors. And that The Reverend Dr Martin Luther King's dream spoken in August of 1963: "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." ...is as worthy as any dream human beings have had. People are just people, in other words.

On the other hand I think it's entirely right and proper than all sorts of "people of color" as well as all Americans, take note and take pride in the fact of Barack Obama's achievement - and the country's achievement. We have a very long way to go as a country - but if you, like me, remember seeing
B&W television coverage of the dogs, and the firehoses, the truncheons, and the murders which accompanied the modern Civil Rights Movement in the country, you know that we, and Barack Obama have come a long way in recent years.

So call the president-elect "African American", "Black", "mixed race", "biracial" or whatever term seems to make sense - just don't call him an ordinary president-elect. Because no matter how he handles the most difficult job imaginable, he's set a precedent for all of us.
Well stated and great post!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM

73 posts, read 158,053 times
One drop!! I think he has at least one drop. There is no such thing as mixed. You are one or the other.

Most American , if yu want to continue using "mixed" are mixed. That is what we do in America, we take you in from where ever you came and then run you through the blender and you come out American.

Neo-cons need to chill...

Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 PM

281 posts, read 379,418 times
Such ignorance for you to assume that black folk would inform their children that there are no opportunities for them before or after this election.

What does the "race card" or current race issues have to do with Obama being elected ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
USA=EOE

No longer can black folk look at there children and claim they dont have any opportunities.

You've played the race card for the last time. Enjoy your seat at the table

Old 11-14-2008, 07:18 PM

795 posts, read 2,292,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Aren't we all mixed race? Most of us have at least some American Indian somewhere along the line and who knows what else.
My ancestors went a Viking and brought back all types of plunder, lots of English lass's, French maids, Spanish fan dancers, Mediterranean belly bumpers, etc---
After the fourth generation of Dane, Dane, Dane it all goes back to - Dane -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections