Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 PM

24,341 posts, read 22,891,284 times

Advertisements

The guy is biracial, not mixed race, not black, not white. African american would be a good term, not to describe his racial background but his geopolitical heritage.
If anything, he looks hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
well its awkward. i mean he is a bonafide african american. 1/2 kenyan 1/2 american.
classic example but he is not a member of the club and with so many africans coming to this country who are nothing like the african americans that are here it got awkward. unlike the romance that AA had with africa in the 70's when they actually met them immigrating here they realized they had nothing in common at all. so they reinvented who african americans are. mr obama is not a member of "the club". he is not the decendant of an american slave. so you see the term african american has been redefined, it no longer means black or from africa. it is an exclusive club. also if you are not on the same page as the leadership you are not a member of the club, e.g. jessie jackson. club membership is getting harder to define, more and more like WWII who is a true german.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The guy is biracial, not mixed race, not black, not white. African american would be a good term, not to describe his racial background but his geopolitical heritage.
If anything, he looks hispanic.
"Hispanics" come in all types. Obama or either of his parents could also "look Hispanic."

Obama, by identifying with black America, fits the generally accepted definition for "African American."

Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 AM

24,341 posts, read 22,891,284 times
I just was thinking of a You Tube video where a cuban was a dead ringer for Barak Obama. He didn't speak any english, though.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,223,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think it's funny that the Obama bashers referred to him as black before he won the election and now that he is their President Elect he is now of mixed race in their minds.
If you're referring to what I posted, you are wrong. He has always been 1/2 and 1/2 to me and I think you'll find the same from other non-BHO supporters as well. He's not mixed race in my mind; it's a fact he's of mixed race. You'll not even convince him he's not.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
What race do you think I am? I'll give you a hint... my mother is blacker than Obama... So what am I... black?
What is your father?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a feeble attempt to exclude mr obama from "the club".
mr obama is a positive example of a true afro american.
lots of people i admire have been excluded from the club,
bill cosby, jessie jackson to name a few.
Bill is a true AA; Jessie is a true jerk.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
You can't "grow up 100% white" if you are, in fact, a black man.

I mean, come on...just look at him.

Regardless of his ethnic make-up and his racial heredity, he is quite obviously a black man. He has dark brown skin, black hair, and the physical characteristics of an African-American, for Pete's sake.

No one in his right mind can look at Barack Obama and claim that he is anything but a black man, regardless of the fact that his mom was white. He obviously inherited his father's African exterior physical appearance. If he had inherited his mother's white skin, he would be a white man who had a black parent. But, he did not, and he is not. He is a black man (duh) who had a white mother.

I mean, seriously, this is not difficult to comprehend.
Let me compare my sweet dogs to humans, an unfair comparison to say the least (to the dogs, that is), but much of the same. I have a Yellow Lab. She had a litter of puppies after getting together with a Catahoula. I kept one of the puppies. No one would ever guess her mom was a Lab because she looks all Catahoula. Does that mean she's not part Lab? Au contraire. She is and always will be part Lab even though she looks like her father.

Now, is that difficult to comprehend? No, not all. I could be half Hispanic and have blonde hair and blue eyes. Does that mean I'm not part Hispanic. Again, on the contrary.

Duh, he is a black man with a white mom? Do you realize how silly that sounds? My dog is a black and gray Catahoula with a yellow mom.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 AM

401 posts, read 683,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
So sorry for generalizing, but it just hasn't been that typical for right wing Republicans to point out the white in a black person and I just dint see the need to constantly do it now.
I used to just call him black until it was pointed out to me by a black preacher that by calling him that I was disrespecting his mother, and when you disrespect a person's mother you might as well be disrespecting the child as well. Obama loved his mother and when you call him black you are pretending that a person who he loved greatly never existed. How would you like it if someone pretended that your mother never existed?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, then what is Tiger woods' race?
Here you go.....from Tiger himself.

"My parents have taught me to always be proud of my ethnic background. Please be assured that is, and will be, the case, past, present, and future.
The various media have portrayed me as African-American, sometimes Asian. In fact, I am both...On my father's side I am African-American; on my mother's side I am Thai. Truthfully, I feel very fortunate, and equally proud, to be both African-American and Asian! The critical, and fundamental, point is that ethnic background and/or composition should not make a difference. It does not make a difference to me. The bottom line is that I am an American...and proud of it!"
He understands that he cannot be put into some sort of neat, precise, ethnic box. That is why, in interviews, Tiger has tried mightily to say, at the bottom, I'm just me--Tiger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections