Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 AM

25 posts, read 23,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I just have one question:

If you saw an Obama look-alike breaking into your neighbor's house, how would you describe him to the police?
I'd describe him as a thief -- just like Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
People keep calling him mixed-race because thats what he is...
Remember when people wanted Tigers Woods to downplay the fact that..
He is half Asian and he was having none of it!
Yes, Tiger Woods has the Asian blood in him. He is Caucasian-black-Indian-Asian.

Quote:
"
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:y7QZ4T7DgvIJ:www.larryelder.com/racial/tigerwoods.htm+tiger+woods+asian+parent&hl=en&ct=c lnk&cd=39&gl=us
A couple of years ago, "Sports Illustrated" asked Tiger what he puts down on forms requiring ethnic identification. Woods replied, "I put Asian." In the very next sentence, the sportswriter ignored that and referred to him as an African-American!! Now, if you're a rapper named Calvin Broadus, you can insist that the media refer to you as "Snoop Doggy Dogg." They will abide. We don't even know the real names of Ice T or Ice Cube, yet when Tiger identified himself as "Asian," the writer promptly ignored him. "
If you are a minority (esp. Black), you almost always have to be a mixed race to break the ceiling in the USA (other than sports). That's the BOTTOM line.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 AM

64 posts, read 130,727 times
Quote:
Unless you are non-caucasian and have ever been treated different solely based on the darkness of your skin or your appearance- and nothing else- you really have no perspective on what this means. People's actions speak louder than their rhetoric.
Oh yes, Caucasians never suffer from discrimination. This is not 1960. Caucasians are now more likely to suffer from legal state sanctioned discrimination than a member of a minority, especially an African-American. I am talking about discrimination, not mere prejudice. Come to work with me at BMW in Spartanburg, SC. 80% of the section leaders on B-shift are African-American. That is not an exaggerration. People do not realize how pervasive this has become, because we don't talk about it. We do not have any advocacy groups protecting our interests, etc.

Please do not come back at me about how bitter I am. I brought it up because you brought it up. You do not have the "victim market" cornered! Also, no white privilige. Maybe for some but sure not all. I am still looking for that silver spoon that was supposedly in my mouth when I was born.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
you have an authoritative grasp of the obvious
I have an authoritative grasp of everything.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Yes, Tiger Woods has the Asian blood in him. He is Caucasian-black-Indian-Asian.

If you are a minority (esp. Black), you almost always have to be a mixed race to break the ceiling in the USA (other than sports). That's the BOTTOM line.
Tell Oprah Winfrey that.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM

184 posts, read 358,209 times
white people need to stop talking about what it means to be black. White people don't think about their skin color- because frankly, they've never had to.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

25 posts, read 23,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
white people need to stop talking about what it means to be black. White people don't think about their skin color- because frankly, they've never had to.
Apparently, you've never spent any time, as a white person, in a predominantly black neighborhood.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,908,640 times
First glance Obama is black and then once you get into his familial history he is mixed. People call him bi-racial because he is bi-racial.

Now...the questions is who cares? People didn't want to hear about the race card during the election but now that he is elected let's go figuring out what he "really" is. Stupid.....absolutely stupid.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
Well then I guess some black people need to stop talking, voting against rights for gays, since they weren't born that way, right?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Tell Oprah Winfrey that.
(and show business of course.... anything that does not require intelligence - like sports and show business, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections