Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,698,558 times

Advertisements

I strongly agree with 1.

Agree with the first part of 2.

No chance on 3 and 4.

The UAW has driven the American auto maker to the brink of collapse with the bloated wages and hefty pensions. It's time to admit that the Detroit union workers made trash for the better part of the past three decades. Unreliable cars, poor workmanship, and all for the same price as a Toyota or Honda with superior quality.

Amnesty for illegals? I guess the steps all four of my grandparents took were done for no reason? Please, stop being lazy and become a citizen the right way.

Last edited by DowntownJerseyCity; 11-07-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,290,720 times
If you think the economy is bad now, bring back the unions.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,719,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
President Obama has a good chance to come out of the gate swinging right off the start. Here are 4 good things he can do right away:

1. End the military ban on gays. Sign the Executive Order the day you are sworn in and let it be known that NO type of discrimination will be tolerated under the new administration.

2. Comprehensive immigration reform. Pass it. Secure the borders and raise the stakes for employers caught hiring illegals in the future but give amnesty to those already here without police records.

3. SCHIP. Pass the increase Bush vetoed and start us down the road to a National Health program by insuring all children first.

4. The Employee Free Choice Act. Pass it. It is badly needed so that the country can start rebuilding the union movement that will build back the middle class.
I can count on one hand how many times I've heard Obama mention Immigration reform, don't hold your breath.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,325,096 times
I was a Teamster for most of my working years. It allowed me to make a living wage, have health insurance for my family, and to put by a pension. The union helped when I was the only female being considered for a job advancement. I was the most qualified applicant but, I would not have been considered for the job if I didn't have "backup" as only males were working in that position at the time. They really didn't want a female to mess up their "boys club". Unions have their drawbacks as well, though I was lucky enough to be in a good local.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM

745 posts, read 1,293,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
...The UAW has driven the American auto maker to the brink of collapse with the bloated wages and hefty pensions. It's time to admit that the Detroit union workers made trash for the better part of the past three decades. Unreliable cars, poor workmanship, and all for the same price as a Toyota or Honda with superior quality...
The auto industry executives couldn't possibly be to blame for their own mismanagement, could they?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,009,835 times
1. Good Idea, probably wouldn't change much anways.

2. First part is ok, second one is a no go. We shouldn't reward bad behavior.

3. How about a cap on prices instead of a national system?

4. What? You can't be serious. Are economy is already in enough trouble as it is, plus we have phone books full of attorneys to protect your rights, Unions are obsolete.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 AM

20,393 posts, read 12,284,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

4. The Employee Free Choice Act. Pass it. It is badly needed so that the country can start rebuilding the union movement that will build back the middle class.
The rest of the stuff you posted I expect and while I generally disagree, those other 3 dont really matter so much...

but this one... the Employee Freee Choice Act.... well now here is something. and I think you are right. He will get it passed.

and it is one of the main reasons I dont want Barak Obama to be president. This "free" choice act is as anti-American as anything that has come along since John Adams Alien and Sedition act.

In fact this "free" choice Act is SEDITION and anyone voting for it ought to go to jail!

You are telling me you are FOR taking away a persons RIGHT to a secret ballot???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? what is wrong with you?????

That is sick and twisted and ANTI-AMERICAN.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,698,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
The auto industry executives couldn't possibly be to blame for their own mismanagement, could they?
For caving in? Yes

For bad designs? Yes

For having cars rolling off the assembly line that were in instant need of repairs? No

Cars that rusted out in a couple of years because the metal wasn't treated properly? No

Detroit was and is sorely mismanaged, but come on. Does a guy putting in headlights really need to be making 36 dollars an hour?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,971,515 times
1 Does not seem to need to happen it will upset more people and accomplish nothing since gays already serve.

2 is good till the amnesty party.

3 is a nice idea but we don't have the money.

4 is the most idiotic statement you have posted on this board.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM

594 posts, read 1,040,746 times
I really don't understand the appeal of number 4. Can anyone enlighten me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections