Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM

78 posts, read 97,345 times

Advertisements

There's a lot being thrown around about how we need to keep the rich wealthy so that they will be able to create jobs. Under Bush the rich have been given some pretty generous tax breaks and the unemployment rate has risen and overall there are less jobs then when Bush came into office????

So since we're not really that much better off from a jobs and unemployment perspective.... why would it really matter if we went back to taxes as it was under clinton? I'm sure that it won't end up exactly at that point but it will be close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,419,142 times
The Republicans want you to believe that, but it's not true. Republicans want the wealthy to get weathier. They take care of their own. It will not hurt at all to go back to Clinton's plan, or something close to it. I am sure everyone would do much better.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,385,482 times
Default Can someone help me understand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brirea View Post
There's a lot being thrown around about how we need to keep the rich wealthy so that they will be able to create jobs. Under Bush the rich have been given some pretty generous tax breaks and the unemployment rate has risen and overall there are less jobs then when Bush came into office????

So since we're not really that much better off from a jobs and unemployment perspective.... why would it really matter if we went back to taxes as it was under clinton? I'm sure that it won't end up exactly at that point but it will be close.

The nagging little details are what got you confuddled.

The rich are creating millions of jobs. In China. In Indonesia. In India.

"Country first!"

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,292,741 times
PG, do you think that only Republicans are rich? That only Republicans own corporations? Are there any rich Democrats out there? The guy who just donated $300 million to the college - was he a Republican or Democrat do you think?

Do you honestly believe that Republicans want the wealthy to get wealthier? You stuck me as smarter than that.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM

The way I see it a lot of people throw around these ideas and short story's about the rich not coming to the bar so the guys can't drink. All of this works from the assumption that there is a general moral code that the rich are following where they are actually looking out for our welfare. I'm sorry but overall I just don't see it.

I'm sure there are quite a few that truly want good things but let's discuss this from a logical perspective rather than just perpetuation fear....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,419,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
PG, do you think that only Republicans are rich? That only Republicans own corporations? Are there any rich Democrats out there? The guy who just donated $300 million to the college - was he a Republican or Democrat do you think?

Do you honestly believe that Republicans want the wealthy to get wealthier? You stuck me as smarter than that.
No, not just Republicans are rich. But I see people like Bush and his cronies and I know that they really don't care about the little people.

Sorry if I disappointed you.

Last edited by PG77; 11-07-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The nagging little details are what got you confuddled.

The rich are creating millions of jobs. In China. In Indonesia. In India.

"Country first!"
This just proves my point about the rich not really being out for our welfare but their own. It really confuses me than if you sit down and look at what's actually happening that people would still sit back and try to convince someone that we "NEED" to keep them rich.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,574,505 times
Quote:

Ahhhhh!!! A fresh breath of intelligence!!!! Thanks for the post...

The policy of generous tax breaks to the wealthy is part of a failed economic policy called 'Trickle Down Economics'. It was started by Reagan, and continued with GW Bush... Theoretically some of the wealth will 'trickle down' from the rich to the peons (us)... In reality, the wealthy just got incredibly more greedy and wanted to keep everything and nothing trickled down...

Nothing is wrong with going back to the Carter tax plan....

Far far more jobs were created under Carter than under Bush, and middle-class standards of living went up under Carter, they went down under Bush...

Figure it out for yourself - and don't let some of the maniac detractors on this forum try to tell you that the world will end if taxes are raised on the rich... They're merely promoting their own self-serving agenda and could care less about people like you.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,106,972 times
Quote:

I think you understand perfectly!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,292,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
No, not just Republicans are rich. But I see people like Bush and his cronies and I know that they really don't care about the little people.

Do the liberal elite care about the little people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections