Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times

Advertisements

It really disturbed me that she never took responsibility for her own actions and words, and spent much time blaming others for her own mistakes (her First Amendment rights, "the gotcha media," etc.). That's a mental problem.

I began to loathe her when she stared right into the eyes of interviewers and spieled out gibberish words and phrases, running out the clock, when she had no idea what she was taking about, and expected that would go over well.

I also thought it weird in the extreme that she went along with the hugely insulting Alaska Rap on SNL. Didnt she rehearse with them? (Maybe she didnt, in which case all right.) I also thought the Alec Baldwin thing insulted her dignity as a VP candidate.

She just seemed dishonest and narcissistic, and not very sharp.

I can see her with a TV show on Fox, and in 10 years hosting a religious program on TV (maybe Fox would develop her one!). If I were a Fox executive I would stop at nothing to make this happen. Start training her now while she's still Governor, have her on now and then to keep her in the public eye, then launch her program in 2010. KA-CHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,853,953 times
I actually do feel a bit sorry for Palin, and always did.

My very first reaction when I heard she was McCain's pick was anger. I had the feeling that the GOP was piking just "any old woman" to stick in there as a "counter" to the people who were considering voting Dem and that infuriated me.

Then I thought, Oh my. What if a woman WAS VP? There was a sense of wonder about it. I'm a woman and it made me feel a sense of pride that a woman might end up our VP. It softened the blow-in-advance I was trying to prepare myself for in case Obama didn't win (I had been very firmly for Obama from the beginning; I voted for him in the primaries too).

And I even wondered for a heartbeat or two after learning the first things we were "allowed" to know about her, which initially sounded strong...should I rethink my choice?

Then she opened her mouth.

At that point I was disgusted all over again. It was like a blow. It's obvious McCain chose a dim woman so she would do whatever he said and just basically stay out of the way for two months. "Pitbull" my *ss. She was chosen because she would be shocked, incredibly grateful, and follow along. But she did a lot of things the GOP didn't plan on. She said A LOT of idiotic things, a few semi-crazy ones, and her past turned out to not be stellar...something McCain might have realized had he spoken to her more than twice before he installed her as the possible second-in-command to run this entire country.

Until then I hadn't really had negative feelings toward McCain, either. He is obviously well-known in politics and has been so for many years, and I actually thought of him more as a chuckly old man than anything else. He didn't (to me) get really, seriously ugly until after his "woman" pick didn't work out.

Now he seems to be going back to the way he used to be...which is a relief.

I feel this campaign brought out the worst in the GOP. Things NEVER had to be like that. If they had been more gracious and just accepted in the end that people simply weren't willing to vote in another Republican president right now, period, instead of the dirtiness and ugliness, things would have gone much better for McCain in general, I feel.

I blame the "handlers" more than anyone else for the Palin fiasco. She's a not incredibly bright person; McCain is a not incredibly well older man. McCain at least can do some work in Washington behind the scenes, I'm sure. He's not done for by any means and it's a relief to see him at least turn back into more of a normal person. As for Palin, Alaska doesn't seem to mind her; so be it. I'd be afraid to have someone that dim run my state. BUT I don't believe she's a terrible person or anything. Just not qualified. Yes, I do feel sorry for her.

Last edited by JerZ; 11-07-2008 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
not a bit i love my sarah. my great disappointment is when she looks at herself in the mirror (24/7)she never sees me, only her.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,076,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
It disgusts me that we've come to the point in this country where people say, "this is the way it is and everyone needs to take it" as if it's all good and right and proper for candidates and their families to be brutalized and have lies made up about them and circulated as fact. It's NOT RIGHT and, frankly, it's what keeps people who could do this country a world of good from running in the first place.

Those of you who thinks it's cute, funny, and reasonable to make up crap about candidates/their families and to amplify every flaw to outrageous proportions need to realize that it's this tactic and PEOPLE LIKE YOU who keep people like Colin Powell from seeking higher, elected office. He said his wife begged him not to do it and he wouldn't put his family through what sickos like you seem to enjoy.
You betcha! I hated the way the Republicans ripped McCain apart when he dared to run against Bush! Saying he had a black child from an adulterous affair when it was really his adopted daughter! Ripping Cindy apart because of her drug addiction! It was SHAMEFUL!.....I hated when the Republicans slandered an American hero and wounded vet , Max Clellend(sp?)....but they took it and survived and if the pitbull with lipstick can grow a backbone not attached to Todd's , she will, too.

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 11-07-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,911,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy dee ann View Post
i had to go back and correct my spelling. It should have read shouldn't
:d

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,953,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
In a way it was almost like that. They obviously didn't vet her very well.
They chose her for many positive reasons -- namely, she was a good fit for the ticket because she has a very bipartisan government, isn't afraid to take on big oil and special interests, and also because she served on energy commissions and we are facing serious energy issues.

Who in the world could have predicted that sicko Dems would invent a story about her faking a pregnancy, make disgusting remarks about her children, evaluate her parenting from WAY afar, and make claims trying to paint her as a radical fundy even though the evidence showed that wasn't true?

And, now, this last bit with the staffers trying to save their own skins by further insulting Palin? It's been a feeding frenzy. And, frankly, how she endured it all with her head held high and NO flashes of anger or distress is extremely admirable. Fat chance ANYONE here would be able to handle vicious personal and public attacks about themselves, their families and their faith so well.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You betcha! I hated the way the Republicans ripped McCain apart when he dared to run against Bush! Saying he had a black child from an adulterous affair when it was really his adopted daughter! Ripping Cindy apart because of her drug addiction! It was SHAMEFUL!.....I hated when the Republicans slandered an American hero and wounded vet , Max Cellend(sp?)....but they took it and survived and if the pitbull with lipstick can grow a backbone not attached to Todd's , she will, too.
I hate those things, too. But I especially hate the fact that the Dems can't take responsibility for THEIR disgusting bashing and that people on this very forum who made horrifying, sexist remarks about Sarah AND Hillary are blind to the problem they and their party have.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,289,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It really disturbed me that she never took responsibility for her own actions and words, and spent much time blaming others for her own mistakes (her First Amendment rights, "the gotcha media," etc.). That's a mental problem.

I began to loathe her when she stared right into the eyes of interviewers and spieled out gibberish words and phrases, running out the clock, when she had no idea what she was taking about, and expected that would go over well.

I also thought it weird in the extreme that she went along with the hugely insulting Alaska Rap on SNL. Didnt she rehearse with them? (Maybe she didnt, in which case all right.) I also thought the Alec Baldwin thing insulted her dignity as a VP candidate.

She just seemed dishonest and narcissistic, and not very sharp.

I can see her with a TV show on Fox, and in 10 years hosting a religious program on TV (maybe Fox would develop her one!). If I were a Fox executive I would stop at nothing to make this happen. Start training her now while she's still Governor, have her on now and then to keep her in the public eye, then launch her program in 2010. KA-CHING.
Fox has Mark Furman as one of their regular talking heads and while the missing cops wife in Bollingbrook story was still hot, he was actually reporting from there. They very well may give her her own show.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,853,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I hate those things, too. But I especially hate the fact that the Dems can't take responsibility for THEIR disgusting bashing and that people on this very forum who made horrifying, sexist remarks about Sarah AND Hillary are blind to the problem they and their party have.
I do take responsibility for having bashed.

But Obama himself endured many weeks of serious, and we're talking serious bashing--down to at first "hints" (and later an outright accusation) that he was un-American and a terrorist--before he ever said a single truly ungracious thing about McCain or Palin.

Surely you recall Obama's initial speeches when people were complaining it was too much fluff...lots of change commentary, etc. He left out all the bashing at that point. He did not even hint at anything ugly, certainly not personally ugly, toward McCain or Palin. We behind the scenes were freaking out, of course...we're less gracious than our president elect. We were practically screaming, "fight back!" and in fact at that point, yet another criticism by the Pubs here and on talk radio was that Obama didn't fight back! Supposedly it showed that he "wasn't strong".

When he did fight back...but still graciously...you didn't like that either.

Meanwhile, unlike McCain grinning and letting a heartbeat pass when someone in the crowd screamed "He's a terrorist!" to give unspoken assent (and not bothering to "correct" the issue until later when reports were coming in that people were horrified that he didn't), Obama upon hearing the Palin bashing publicly stated that we should LAY OFF Sarah's family.

Yes, the true ugliness did originate from the Republican ticket, and you well know it. It doesn't excuse anyone for retaliating and creating ugliness too...but I think you're skipping over that very pertinent fact when you say we "won't take responsibility" for our part in the ugliness. We were enraged at our candidate being called a terrorist, the anti-Christ, the worst things imaginable. Would you not have been?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM

^^^^^^

What I know is that the Obamaphiles are tools. Their candidate was MASTERFUL about letting his operatives insult, smear, and discriminate and acting as if it had nothing to do with him. Puh-lease. And YET they pinned EVERYTHING uttered against Obama on McCain, whether he had anything to do with it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections