Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,288,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
And now I have to respect him!?

I’d like to make it clear first, I am not a Republican, Democrat, conservative nor liberal. I’m an independent. I don’t cling to a political party and vote blindly like a sheep. Im conservative on some issues, liberal on others, somewhere in the middle on most.

Moving forward…
Yesterday while in my evidence class, my professor, a self proclaimed liberal, makes a few sarcastic comments about President Bush and how she’s delighted about Obama being elected president. “Im glad your happy” I sarcastically thought, as I turned to my friend and said, “this is a classroom, leave politics at the door.” At the end of class, she makes a couple other comments and says, “whether you like Obama or not, you have to respect him.”

WTF is this? You mock the president, and tell me to respect the new president?! Firstly, don’t tell me who to respect. I respect those that I feel deserve it. Secondly, neither you, nor any other Bush hating liberal can look at me and tell me to respect Obama. Seriously. You NEVER gave Bush a chance, so don’t be a hypocrite

Since the day Bush was elected president I have witnessed the scorn, contempt, and disrespect towards him. The day it was announced that Bush beat Gore people swore that Bush will never be “their” president as they swore allegiance to Gore. Even years later, while Bush served our country as president, their “president” Gore was on his jet to and from Antarctica serving the polar bears.

I have seen President Bush be blamed for 911, and for New Orleans. I witnessed our entire country, immediately after 911, begin to point our fingers at Iraq while saying that Sadam hates us as much as Bin Lade and probably has bigger weapons. I watched our congress agree to this and we all felt better after invading Iraq. I watched the pride in most of my country as we witnessed Iraqi citizens tear down those Sadam statues. Yet, when it was found that the nukes weren’t in Iraq I watched as many people, including our politicians, turn the other face all while yelling “Impeach Bush!”

I’ve seen the same greedy pigs out there with two SUV’s and taking out stupid –interest only – and – Negative Amortization – loans trying to make a quick buck, blame Bush for the economy.

I witnessed professors across college campuses in America lead the way while calling Bush a terrorist and an idiot. Though Bush isnt the greatest public speaker in the world, the man is far from an idiot. I witnessed liberals and democrats everywhere say that he was never their president anyways.

So to conclude: Its great that we have our first black president, this was truly a historical moment (be that as it may, neither of these two things are good reasons to elect someone as president which I’ve witnessed A LOT!). But don’t you shake your fist at our president, blame him for your misfortunes that are your own fault, and then tell me to respect Obama! I will show him the same level of respect deserved, as president Bush.
Sounds like ANALYSIS PARALYSIS to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM

726 posts, read 2,260,633 times
I somewhat agree with you. But thats the way it is, his administration didn't work and they failed, so people put the blame on him, because he chose them. Bush is very unpopular, and I think the wars have a lot to do with that.

If Obama doesn't want to head in that same direction, he needs to pick a "near perfect" administration, and make good choices about the people he's chosen. So far his picks has received ambiguity.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I like crying
Your pic proves exactly what Im saying heydade. Its called, 8 years of blaming Bush for all of your misfortunes including the home you lost because you weren't responsible enough to pay your bills. While Im not going to sit here and say that Bush was a great president and made no erros. I can say that people never gave him a chance anyways. He was basically set up to fail.

All in all, Im not saying that Obama deserves our disrespect. I think that his presidency deserves the same amount of scrutiny and concern that any other president, and dare I say Bush, has received.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,063,341 times
Quote:

I’d like to make it clear first, I am not a Republican, Democrat, conservative nor liberal. I’m an independent. I don’t cling to a political party and vote blindly like a sheep. Im conservative on some issues, liberal on others, somewhere in the middle on most.

Moving forward…
Yesterday while in my evidence class, my professor, a self proclaimed liberal, makes a few sarcastic comments about President Bush and how she’s delighted about Obama being elected president. “Im glad your happy” I sarcastically thought, as I turned to my friend and said, “this is a classroom, leave politics at the door.” At the end of class, she makes a couple other comments and says, “whether you like Obama or not, you have to respect him.”

WTF is this? You mock the president, and tell me to respect the new president?! Firstly, don’t tell me who to respect. I respect those that I feel deserve it. Secondly, neither you, nor any other Bush hating liberal can look at me and tell me to respect Obama. Seriously. You NEVER gave Bush a chance, so don’t be a hypocrite

Since the day Bush was elected president I have witnessed the scorn, contempt, and disrespect towards him. The day it was announced that Bush beat Gore people swore that Bush will never be “their” president as they swore allegiance to Gore. Even years later, while Bush served our country as president, their “president” Gore was on his jet to and from Antarctica serving the polar bears.

I have seen President Bush be blamed for 911, and for New Orleans. I witnessed our entire country, immediately after 911, begin to point our fingers at Iraq while saying that Sadam hates us as much as Bin Lade and probably has bigger weapons. I watched our congress agree to this and we all felt better after invading Iraq. I watched the pride in most of my country as we witnessed Iraqi citizens tear down those Sadam statues. Yet, when it was found that the nukes weren’t in Iraq I watched as many people, including our politicians, turn the other face all while yelling “Impeach Bush!”

I’ve seen the same greedy pigs out there with two SUV’s and taking out stupid –interest only – and – Negative Amortization – loans trying to make a quick buck, blame Bush for the economy.

I witnessed professors across college campuses in America lead the way while calling Bush a terrorist and an idiot. Though Bush isnt the greatest public speaker in the world, the man is far from an idiot. I witnessed liberals and democrats everywhere say that he was never their president anyways.

So to conclude: Its great that we have our first black president, this was truly a historical moment (be that as it may, neither of these two things are good reasons to elect someone as president which I’ve witnessed A LOT!). But don’t you shake your fist at our president, blame him for your misfortunes that are your own fault, and then tell me to respect Obama! I will show him the same level of respect deserved, as president Bush.
A. Your professor isn't here...is she? Why are you telling CD this?

B. I gave Bushy a chance, he blew it.

C. Bush has no respect for anyone.

D. Bush did nothing to earn respect.

E. YOU base your respect on what respect was shown for someone else? Weird! (and NOT true respect)

F. I blame Bush for all the things that are his fault....isn't he LEADING this country? Isn't he in charge? Had he NO responsibilities as President?

G. Haven't seen much respect from people who aren't Democrats for Obama...slam, slam, slam, BEFORE he even IS President which BTW

HE WILL BE !!!!!

So , remember, you must show absolute respect for him no matter what he does or you are very TWO-FACED!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,834,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batrice View Post
the dems did to Bush, we will make is presidentcy pure hell!
It makes me sad every time I see a post like this because I was one of the Dems who did support Bush in the very beginning. He had to eff up big, big, BIG-time before I turned my back on him. I had set my mind to "Well, my candidate didn't win but it will be all right. We have a new president so let's see what he can do." I could NEVER have envisioned what that would end up being. It took a long time before I turned my back on GWB.

Retaliatory "I'm going to make America an awful place because I'm ticked I didn't win" posts are a nightmare to me, but what can I say.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,061,622 times
I can't believe the OP got slammed. I thought that was an excellent post.

The point is, while we have to accept Obama as the 44th POTUS, we don't have to like it. As Americans, we should support the office of the POTUS but that doesn't mean we have to blindly agree with every policy and procedure. The office itself commands respect but the person in that office needs to earn respect. Obama must earn the respect of other nations' leaders. He needs to earn the respect of Congress. Supreme Court. His cabinet. His advisors (all of whom must earn his respect too).

I don't see anything wrong with the original post on this thread. Like Bush or not, I think he was wronged by those people who did not accept him as POTUS. And many of those same people are now first to condemn those of us who did not vote for Obama as "sore losers". A sore loser would be whining, crying, shaking his fist and proclaiming OBAMA IS NOT MY PRESIDENT, trying to undermine him at every term, predicting failure before he even assumes office and so on. Kind of like what so many did to Bush.

No matter who you support or what your politics, this much is clear. Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States. In order to remain the best, strongest and most wonderful free nation in the world, as Americans, we need to put aside party differences and accept him as our President. As I stated before, you don't have to like him. You don't have to respect him (he has to earn that, remember?). But you do have to accept him. The best thing about the United States of America is that we the people have a voice. And that voice can tell Obama to take a hike in 2012, or affirm that he's done a great job. Remember the pledge of allegiance? Do you remember what we pledge allegiance to? Not Barack Obama. Not George Bush. Not the President of the United States.

We "pledge allegiance to the FLAG of the United States of America. And to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands...."

That's what we need to do as Americans.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,321,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
well while you may not respect him...now that he is president ...dont pass judgement untill he's been in office at least a year...Give him a fighting chance.
You mean like the day after the election results where in and liberals were screaming and have been for 8 years that 200 and 2004 were fraudulant elections and democrats alone were disenfranchised....Ahhh the party of hipocracy at it's defining moments.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,321,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
I somewhat agree with you. But thats the way it is, his administration didn't work and they failed, so people put the blame on him, because he chose them. Bush is very unpopular, and I think the wars have a lot to do with that.

If Obama doesn't want to head in that same direction, he needs to pick a "near perfect" administration, and make good choices about the people he's chosen. So far his picks has received ambiguity.
The sad part is you actually believe it was his admin that failed. He did everything in his power to keep a failing system from failing.....it still failed...it started decades ago and yet it's all Bush's fault. I know it's easier to blame one person than to blame the system. It's easier to change one person than it is to change a whole system. You want to know what the next big failure is if it's not fixed it will be those social justice programs namely medicare/aid. 2 trillion a year gap and growing yet no one says a word about this in the press......It's you got to respect Obama....The only reason they want you to respect him is because he is African American and has an advanced degree. All the white presidents with advanced degrees are simply run of the mill. If a white president had the same qualifications as Obama he would be laughed off the stage for for his arrogance and his inability to have ever accomplished the task he picked and was chosen for. But alas he is African American with a Harvard Law degree.....So 6 billion people must repsect him and if you don't your racist and irrational.

It really shows the world's low expectations of African Americans which to me presents a way more racist view point.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-07-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,213,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is that you, Dubya?
Too funny.

Ken

Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,897,598 times
Quote:
As a card carrying liberal Bush hater, I certainly don't care if you respect Obama or not, it would be nice but it is also quite unnecessary. So, if any other card carrying liberal Bush hater should accost you on this issue, please tell them for me, that they need to back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections