Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 PM

7,512 posts, read 11,317,165 times

Advertisements

To those on the left and right who think the democrats will usher in a welfare state how exactly will this be funded? With large numbers of baby boomers starting to leave the workforce where will the tax dollars come from to fund this expansion of gov't? If Barack was intending on expanding the role of gov't in healthcare,poverty reduction and pensions then he'd better take into account this comming population shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM

251 posts, read 412,048 times
Legalize drugs and tax it. This will also provide massive savings in policing and prisons.

Legalize Prostitution and tax that too.

Privatize all services municipal government provides. Current local governments do not pay taxes. Private sector operators do. They also pay gas taxes and business licenses fees.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,070,260 times
Raise taxes
Tax everything

That's the only way.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,296,932 times
Taxing SS has been thrown around by the Demmies.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,529,842 times
I don't know? why don't we ask the biggest spending President in US history before he leaves office in January?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those on the left and right who think the democrats will usher in a welfare state how exactly will this be funded? With large numbers of baby boomers starting to leave the workforce where will the tax dollars come from to fund this expansion of gov't? If Barack was intending on expanding the role of gov't in healthcare,poverty reduction and pensions then he'd better take into account this comming population shift.
Well I don't think there will be an ushering in of a welfare state, that is pure drivel for the foolish regurgitators of sound bytes.

However you are asking a question that is not likely to get many responses as to start with, it is very complex and requires people to actually think. That is one strike. Secondly, it cannot be sustained in its current form and there will have to be cuts made. There will likely need to be readjustment to taxation, a reevaluation of our foreign policy and an examination of our military adventures abroad. The entire structure of health care will probably need to be addressed as it stands today, America has an atrocious health care system not to mention one of the most expensive. Energy realities will have to be faced as the days of cheap oil are no longer. Although in the short term we can just use liposuction to trim America down while at the same time providing an ample source of biofuel. (j/k) Ultimately it will also have to be faced by the individual as our gross consumer based society will need to be scaled back and America will at some point be required to live within its means.

It could all probably be done within a decade with the right motivation and commitment by the government and the people but, I suspect we will live in denial until America resembles something like Haiti where each upper class neighborhood is surrounded by a wall with gates and guards. Marie Antoinette had some experience with this kind of governing.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,131,911 times
I'm not convinced anyone is going to usher in a nanny state.

But we do have a huge deficit and major problems. We should repeal NAFTA and re-institute all the pre-NAFTA trade tariffs. That used to be the government's primary source of income up until the 20th century.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,873,552 times
What a load. We'll be Haiti in 10 years is what i get from that, not likely. And not a mention about the strain illegals put on the system. Both campaigns comletely ignored that issue. The sky isnt falling and we will deal with each issue in crisis mangement, its how we roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I don't think there will be an ushering in of a welfare state, that is pure drivel for the foolish regurgitators of sound bytes.

However you are asking a question that is not likely to get many responses as to start with, it is very complex and requires people to actually think. That is one strike. Secondly, it cannot be sustained in its current form and there will have to be cuts made. There will likely need to be readjustment to taxation, a reevaluation of our foreign policy and an examination of our military adventures abroad. The entire structure of health care will probably need to be addressed as it stands today, America has an atrocious health care system not to mention one of the most expensive. Energy realities will have to be faced as the days of cheap oil are no longer. Although in the short term we can just use liposuction to trim America down while at the same time providing an ample source of biofuel. (j/k) Ultimately it will also have to be faced by the individual as our gross consumer based society will need to be scaled back and America will at some point be required to live within its means.

It could all probably be done within a decade with the right motivation and commitment by the government and the people but, I suspect we will live in denial until America resembles something like Haiti where each upper class neighborhood is surrounded by a wall with gates and guards. Marie Antoinette had some experience with this kind of governing.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
What a load. We'll be Haiti in 10 years is what i get from that, not likely. And not a mention about the strain illegals put on the system. Both campaigns comletely ignored that issue. The sky isnt falling and we will deal with each issue in crisis mangement, its how we roll
I didn't say we would be Haiti in 10 years. I said we are heading that way. In case you haven't noticed, there is that tiny issue of a financial melt down taking place. Wealth disparity in America is at its greatest since 1929. While the US isn't going to collapse, it isn't exactly the shining beacon on the hill right now either.

The OP asked how it would be funded, I suggested it would takes cuts as well as funding. Your response so far is to call this bunk then blame illegals for our ills.

So do tell, Bryan, how do you think we should fund it?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 PM

713 posts, read 1,861,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm not convinced anyone is going to usher in a nanny state.

But we do have a huge deficit and major problems. We should repeal NAFTA and re-institute all the pre-NAFTA trade tariffs. That used to be the government's primary source of income up until the 20th century.
That will never happen. Big Business isn't going to let it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections