Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times

Advertisements

Good Grief! Consider the source, bloggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” - Thomas Jefferson
I definitely agree with this statement, and with your analysis of Prop 8, but this is not a statement by Jefferson. It's not his style at all. Jefferson was a lot more nuanced and a lot less suspicious of the "tyranny of the majority" than Federalists like John Adams and Fisher Ames. He did say in his First Inaugural,

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Oh, really? Then why are they always trying to get other countries to become democracies?
We aren't, except in those accidental cases in which our interests coincide with other countries becoming democracies. That is just a line of b.s. sold to the unbright masses to justify our aggression.

George W. Bush is one of the few American politicians who was actually dumb enough to believe his own swill. We've now seen the flowering of democracy in Iraq, and the chaos, ethnic cleansing, explusion of Christians, gays and secularists in its wake. Whether he still believes the "democracy=God" line of crap is unclear.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,749,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
This isn't a double standard. You are comparing apples to oranges.

The grassroots Obama volunteers, did so on a national level, the STATE initiative in CA was well funded (on both sides) by out of state interest groups. I am not for boycotting Utah due to its large Mormon pop. but I am against outside financial interests funding any state issue outside of their state of residency if they are not willing to accept the responsibilities.
Tell me, how does one "boycott a state?"

Old 11-08-2008, 10:09 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Thousands of Obama volunteers from New York and Chicago descended upon Ohio, Indiana, and the west to canvass for Obama. Literally busloads. This was perfectly acceptable, and lauded by the media. I have no issues with Obama's methods - they were exectued effectively.

One of the complaints by the California liberas is that many of the Mormons did not live in California. Sound similar?

The Mormons sent their own contingent to California to lobby against Gay Marriage. The process was identical. Tell me why the liberals in CA are upset about the Democratic process when they lose, but think we should all just "quit whining" when they win?
The whack job who faked a robbering/face carving crime in Pittsburgh was a McCain supporter from Texas.

Boycotts such as being recommended by the Californians are also legal.

If you have no complaints, why bring this up at all?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,808,247 times
Utah and it's government/church had no business getting involved in a California political initiative. If they want to limit the rights of homosexuality in their Church aka State, that's their perogative. But they have no business coming into another state to prevent equal rights.

I think I might boycott Utah too.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,223,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Utah and it's government/church had no business getting involved in a California political initiative. If they want to limit the rights of homosexuality in their Church aka State, that's their perogative. But they have no business coming into another state to prevent equal rights.

I think I might boycott Utah too.
I boycotted it by moving away from it after eight months. I never met so many hypocrites in my entire life. Too bad for the next Morman that knocks on my door.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,223,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Thousands of Obama volunteers from New York and Chicago descended upon Ohio, Indiana, and the west to canvass for Obama. Literally busloads. This was perfectly acceptable, and lauded by the media. I have no issues with Obama's methods - they were exectued effectively.
Are you saying all McCain volunteers only campaigned in their home states? Unfortunately, for McCain, his platform was rejected by thousands.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,021,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I boycotted it by moving away from it after eight months. I never met so many hypocrites in my entire life. Too bad for the next Morman that knocks on my door.
Ditto here,but I only stayed 3 months.You have to be a cult member to get a decent paying job there.Pee on 'em,let them have their wasteland.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:25 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
wars have always costed money, let me know if you want it to be fought there or on our doorstep here?
if you are not willing to pick up a rifle and help defend our way of life, then better to pay for it now and fight terrorism over there.
im ok with rifles when told to do so. it was started on our doorstep it should have been finished on our doorstep. it wasn't. big parties all over dearborn night after 911.
yeah right attack bagdad. DC got a whole lot less sense than SFPD, day of the trashing of financial district they went to elephant walk (2000) and made arrests. what do we do in DC when they blow up NYC, we go to bagdad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections