Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,509,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
That is kind of a non-sequitur isn't it? The fact is, men are there now. We are now part of the food chain. That isn't going to change therefore managing the predator populations is going to happen.
It was a response to those who claim that it helps the wolves in the long run.

But anyway, Alaska needs to find a way to feed itself without injecting itself so profoundly into the ecosystem.

At this point, it seems like it's more about "image" to me. Other states that are more desolate and have less natural resources have figured it out. This isn't pre-1980s when transportation was so much more logistically difficult and expensive. People in Alaska aren't exactly hurting for money, or so I hear tell. I am sure the people in Alberta would love to ship them some steaks.

I am a hunter and have been hunting since the age of 12. I understand conservation and the state I live in has one of the best records of any to that end (run by mostly liberal hunters at that!).

To me, if the measures needed are so drastic, then it's too much of an intrusion by man, and other alternatives should be employed.

Lastly, go ahead and rebutt, but I won't be responding. These are opinions decades in the making, so I won't debate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

1,489 posts, read 2,028,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Since I happen to be none of the things you mentioned and you're the one in "big town CHICAGO" I find it interesting that you choose to insult yourself. The Governor appears to have circumvented the law, behavior which you're exceptionally prone to support.

Not to pick nits, but you really, really do appear to be a wienie of the left.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,558,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Not to pick nits, but you really, really do appear to be a wienie of the left.
Quote:
IF someone got IN MY FACE, yes...teeth on the floor.

What about some fairy little boy who was call ******? In his face?

Shouldn't he punch the bully? Oh, that would not only be fair, but you would call the ACLU to sue the "attacker".

The left is not so fair these days.
Quote:
Or, I guess you will get your little teenaged, in LOVE feelings quite damaged.

So, you have been warned...don't read past this....

Does anyone have any interesting info on how/who funded Barry's law school at Harvard? I've done the basic reading. Just got a very interesting e-mail, which got me thinking again. I won't bore anyone who cares, that got this far...you got the same e-mail.

So...to save me some time, does anyone have anything else other than the old black guy outing Barry's funding at Harvard on cable/public NY television?

Oh, back to the grape kool-aid drinkers that just couldn't be turned away:

I think Obama is a fraud, and it will, IMHO eventually come out.

Why do I care? I love the country as it is, warts and all. Also, I like puzzles and this one has captured my attention.

Anyone got more tasty tidbits?
Quote:
Don't continue to read if your delicate sensitivities are offended by rumours.

Has anyone been following the rumour that Bill Ayers ghost wrote Barry's books?

I thought it was just silly stuff at first, but now I'm intrigued by the possibility. Just google Ayers wrote Dreams of My Father and you can get a taste of what is being charged.
Yeah...I'm really blown over by the depth of your intellectual talents. No offense taken, appearances being soo extremely important to those attracted to such things. I'm not so easily impressed by the surface of the pond....I believe there is a topic - try addressing that, or at the very least providing some useful input into the discourse and conversation, thus far you've done neither.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,843,467 times
Quote:
Alaska hires the most expert Fish and Wildlife people on the planet. The Alaskans fish and hunt for food, so are constantly monitoring the moose and caribou populations. The wolf populations are sometimes culled in order to protect the caribou from being decimated.
The very idea that we on the lower 48 are better at telling the Alaskans how to preserve their ecology and wildlife is very presumptuous.
I completely agree with you. I think the Left is just so selective in their outrage. Where is the outrage for the caribou calves that have virtually zero chance of surviving with an overpopulation of wolves?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,558,332 times
Quote:
In 2007, she approved $400,000 to educate the public about the ecological success of shooting wolves and bears from the air. Some of the money went to create a pamphlet distributed in local newspapers, three weeks before the public was to vote on an initiative that would have curtailed aerial killing of wolves by private citizens.

"The timing of the state's propaganda on wolf control was terrible," wrote the Anchorage Daily News on its editorial page.

"Across the board, Sarah Palin puts on a masquerade, claiming she is using sound management and science," says Nick Jans, an Alaskan writer who co-sponsored the initiative. "In reality she uses ideology and ignores science when it is in her way." The initiative was defeated last month.
Gordon Haber is a wildlife scientist who has studied wolves in Alaska for 43 years. "On wildlife-related issues, whether it is polar bears or predator controls, she has shown no inclination to be objective," he says of Palin. "I cannot find credible scientific data to support their arguments," he adds about the state's rationale for gunning down wolves. "In most cases, there is evidence to the contrary."

Last year, 172 scientists signed a letter to Palin, expressing concern about the lack of science behind the state's wolf-killing operation. According to the scientists, state officials set population objectives for moose and caribou based on "unattainable, unsustainable historically high populations." As a result, the "inadequately designed predator control programs" threatened the long-term health of both the ungulate and wolf populations. The scientists concluded with a plea to Palin to consider the conservation of wolves and bears "on an equal basis with the goal of producing more ungulates for hunters."

Apparently Palin wasn't fazed. Earlier this year she introduced state legislation that would further divorce the predator-control program from science.
Hmm....Scientists...

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
America is no longer duped by bs.

The win for Obama proves this. According to Former Sen. Laxalt's daughter (a staunch Republican) the Repubs need to reqwork their party, from a party of hate and intolerance, to a party of tolerance and concerned more with fiscal conservatism.
"No longer duped by BS", you say? How do you figure? They bought the BS!

Now, they'll have to deal with it for at least two years, probably four!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,538,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I completely agree with you. I think the Left is just so selective in their outrage. Where is the outrage for the caribou calves that have virtually zero chance of surviving with an overpopulation of wolves?
Well, I am vegan and think its very sick to feed poison to your kids, this includes moose chili. BGH, steroids and hormones fed to US cattle and mistreated, abused slaughtered animals, cause cancer. It's a fact.

That being said, I care about animals, not about Palin.

She will reap what she has sown. As McCain obviously has. Much to his derision.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:06 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,488,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Well, I am vegan and think its very sick to feed poison to your kids, this includes moose chili. BGH, steroids and hormones fed to US cattle and mistreated, abused slaughtered animals, cause cancer. It's a fact.

That being said, I care about animals, not about Palin.

She will reap what she has sown. As McCain obviously has. Much to his derision.
A moose is going to buy an 06 and take aim?

Whatta cuckoo cuckoo bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections